FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Jan 24, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #931 of 1,870
I got the BTR3 headset & microphone to work on Windows, and it works pretty smoothly.
I had to uninstall the Dell AptX driver, which was fine because Windows 10 has working native AptX out-of-the-box. I don't have AptX-LL without the Dell driver, but w/e.

Jan 25, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #932 of 1,870
My question, any one use BTR3 for phone call when on blutetooth connection?
My iphone bluetooth works for my car stereo phone control, but I cannot have it working
for BTR3.
Anyone can shed some light?
The BTR3 works fine for phone calls as long as it is paired to your iPhone. Maybe if you disconnect your iPhone from the car stereo, it will send the call to your BTR3?

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #933 of 1,870
I followed the instructions to enter DFU mode, and red/blue light stops flashing as expected, but it shows up in the device manager as "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" under "Bluetooth"
upload_2019-1-27_14-13-5.png

instead of "CSR BlueCore in DFU mode" displayed under the "Universal Serial Bus controller".
How to solve this?

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #934 of 1,870
Dear friend,

You may read Some explanations about Bluetooth Connection — From James: http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=43331&highlight=Bluetooth

Best regards

FYI - I ended up returning Btr3, the wireless performance was not acceptable for my needs.

I tried different phones & laptops, even using a dedicated Bluetooth transmitter for my laptop (creative bt-w2), the performance was pretty bad no matter what I tried.

I will be definitely revisiting a next gen product from FiiO, as I really liked the concept.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #935 of 1,870
FYI - I ended up returning Btr3, the wireless performance was not acceptable for my needs.

Sold mine too. Hardware was the only thing I could appreciate on paper until I faced with so many product flaws in reality. They'd better hire good firmware developers and refrain from advertising buggy and even unimplemented features (like settings in app).

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #936 of 1,870
@alexkonkov @monocats

Sorry to hear things didn’t work out for guy guys.

Strange how it’s works so well for some and not so for others. It’s working flawlessly with LG V30 over LDAC. I can even walk a room away on the same floor without any BT problems. Phone calls over iPhone no problem.

The trend in shipping out new half baked goods and patching them after is one that is not limited to FIIO. It’s across the tech industry and really should be halted.

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #937 of 1,870
Sold mine too. Hardware was the only thing I could appreciate on paper until I faced with so many product flaws in reality. They'd better hire good firmware developers and refrain from advertising buggy and even unimplemented features (like settings in app).
Fiio's popularity can easily lead to failure if they cannot match excellent production to their design concepts. Growth in the market can be a curse to a company if they cannot expand good production values.

Jan 27, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #938 of 1,870
@alexkonkov @monocats

Sorry to hear things didn’t work out for guy guys.

Strange how it’s works so well for some and not so for others. It’s working flawlessly with LG V30 over LDAC. I can even walk a room away on the same floor without any BT problems. Phone calls over iPhone no problem.

The trend in shipping out new half baked goods and patching them after is one that is not limited to FIIO. It’s across the tech industry and really should be halted.
RF background emissions in the 2.4 GHz band can be a factor. They were for me. Connection quality of BT devices improved when I shut off unnecessary BT radios and 2.4 GHz channels on my routers.

Also, consumer demand for “premium” enclosure materials (metallic materials, in particular) end up compromising signal quality when devices lack external antennae.

Try the FiiO μBTR, which FCC test documents claim has equivalent RF circuitry to the BTR3. I have no connection issues with that model. What’s the difference?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 4:21 AM Post #940 of 1,870
Yesterday, the BTR3 suddenly started showing up on the FiiO app. Didn’t do anything special, besides what I had done in the previous days trying to fix this. When I finally managed to get a successful connection to the FiiO app the BTR3 was hooked to my MacBook with the USB cable while it was also connected to my iPhone via bluetooth. I don’t know, perhaps there’s a mix-up with Apple’s continuity protocols.

Just to make things clear, the BTR3 was connecting properly to all of my devices via BT; I just couldn't make it show up on the FiiO Music app (and therefore I couldn't tamper with the settings). I am using the latest version firmware and the latest version of FiiO music.

For now I'm quite happy with it's performance on my FLC8s IEMs. I wish Apple would jump on to the hi-res BT protocols bandwagon, the BTR3 itself is certainly doing a better job rendering music compared to any other basic DAC implementation available on my devices.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #941 of 1,870
Yesterday, the BTR3 suddenly started showing up on the FiiO app. Didn’t do anything special, besides what I had done in the previous days trying to fix this. When I finally managed to get a successful connection to the FiiO app the BTR3 was hooked to my MacBook with the USB cable while it was also connected to my iPhone via bluetooth. I don’t know, perhaps there’s a mix-up with Apple’s continuity protocols.

Just to make things clear, the BTR3 was connecting properly to all of my devices via BT; I just couldn't make it show up on the FiiO Music app (and therefore I couldn't tamper with the settings). I am using the latest version firmware and the latest version of FiiO music.

For now I'm quite happy with it's performance on my FLC8s IEMs. I wish Apple would jump on to the hi-res BT protocols bandwagon, the BTR3 itself is certainly doing a better job rendering music compared to any other basic DAC implementation available on my devices.
Dear friend,

Sometimes it may take 10s or above for the BTR3 showing in the FiiO Bluetooth control. So maybe it was a delay issue of the FiiO Music APP. We will still report to the engineer for checking about that.

Best regards

Last edited:
FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #942 of 1,870
I followed the instructions to enter DFU mode, and red/blue light stops flashing as expected, but it shows up in the device manager as "Generic Bluetooth Adapter" under "Bluetooth"

instead of "CSR BlueCore in DFU mode" displayed under the "Universal Serial Bus controller".
How to solve this?
Anyone?

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #943 of 1,870
I haven't had any bad experiences with the BTR3's bluetooth thus far. I've had no signal drops with LDAC while keeping my phone in my pocket. I've also walked like 30 feet from my laptop while using AptX and was surprised that the signal didn't break up until after I stepped through a doorway.

Some nitpicky feature/firmware suggestions:
  • Reduce the microphone sensitivity. The mic picks up other people talking 10 feet away.
  • Disable the fade-in when changing the USB DAC sample rate. I have music in both 44.1khz and 48khz and I use foobar2000 with WASAPI, so every time I play a song with a different sample rate, the BTR3 fades in the first second of the song.
  • Enable a way to use 44.1khz 16-bit LDAC by default. I don't have hi-res music, so the current default 96khz 32-bit is kind of a waste, and I'd prefer to not resample unnecessarily.
  • Toggle the LED without needing the app, and/or a mode that only turns the LED on for the first few seconds and turns it off afterward.
I'm very happy with the BTR3, and I hope to see more firmware improvements in the future.

Jan 31, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #944 of 1,870
7F47E15C-C596-4DED-A97F-48B9FF58B268.jpeg
Also very happy with how the BT3 is performing and now needs tweaking like Shockdude mentioned.

I have just ordered a pair of Sony MH755 earphones specifically to go with the BT3.
These earphones were made specifically to be used with an armband Sony BT receiver so they are short in length. Also one of the earphone cables is longer than the other from the splitter so that it can be worn by running it back of the neck.

This is really neat style of earphones for using with BT3 for walks, gym etc. Just clip the BT3 to upper part of clothing close to pocket/collar and the earphones will be just the right tidy length.

They have got some really positive feedback on the forums and are said to follow the harmonic curve nicely.

Hope to give feedback on how it sounds with the BT3 next week.

I say this is a cheap £5 must have addon for the BT3.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #945 of 1,870
Dear friend,

Have you checked the firmware version in the FiiO Music app first? And your BTR3 is not using the latest version?
Please try to reset the BTR3 by holding the power button for at least 10s or holding the volume +&- for 5s then update again?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back