FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Jan 21, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #901 of 1,870
Also Bluetooth works better within line of sight as it isn't as good at penetrating human body. So putting the BTR3 for example, to back pocket, might reduce the reception. Bluetooth headphones have less of this issue since it is always exposed on your head.

Jan 21, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #903 of 1,870
Anyone know if the BT3 can be charged and have 3.5mm audio out at the same time ?
Mine works well that way. It seems that once the battery is fully charged, my BTR3 stops taking its current from the charger and starts running on battery power. Then, I have to disconnect and reconnect the BTR3 to the charger in order to get it to draw current from the charger again.

You wrote "3.5mm audio out". ¿Is there any other way besides the 3.5mm jack for the BTR3 to send audio out?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #905 of 1,870
How do you know that? It isn't how power in Li-Ion devices typically work.
I said "it seems" because when I connect the BTR3 to the charger, the codec light stays permanently on (that means is drawing current from the charger) for longer if the battery is not close to being fully charged. The emptier the battery is when I connect the BTR3 to the charger the longer the codec light stays on. The fuller the battery is the shorter it stays on. At least in my case, the BTR3 battery charge level indicator that is shown in my mobile device (i.e. cell phone) is not very precise as to the charge level. It displays a full charge whether the battery is full or it is close to being full. So, with that charging behavior and the imprecise battery level indicator, it seems like it is working the way I posted it, even though "it isn't how power in Li-Ion devices typically work".

Does the BTR3 keep running on the charger's power after the codec's light changes from permanent to intermittent?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #906 of 1,870
Also Bluetooth works better within line of sight as it isn't as good at penetrating human body. So putting the BTR3 for example, to back pocket, might reduce the reception. Bluetooth headphones have less of this issue since it is always exposed on your head.

Well, my old Samsung Level Link adapter was able to work with my phone in my back pocket without any issues.

I really like Btr3 aside from the weak reception so far, but am still contemplating returning it. Not sure if the need to baby sit it in terms of being aware as where to place it to get reception, is worth the increased audio quality.

Jan 21, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #907 of 1,870
I said "it seems" because when I connect the BTR3 to the charger, the codec light stays permanently on (that means is drawing current from the charger) for longer if the battery is not close to being fully charged. The emptier the battery is when I connect the BTR3 to the charger the longer the codec light stays on. The fuller the battery is the shorter it stays on. At least in my case, the BTR3 battery charge level indicator that is shown in my mobile device (i.e. cell phone) is not very precise as to the charge level. It displays a full charge whether the battery is full or it is close to being full. So, with that charging behavior and the imprecise battery level indicator, it seems like it is working the way I posted it, even though "it isn't how power in Li-Ion devices typically work".

Does the BTR3 keep running on the charger's power after the codec's light changes from permanent to intermittent?
Here's a way to test what's happening.
  1. Plug the BTR3 into a charger and let it charge to full.
  2. Leave the BTR3 on the charger, and play music for a few hours
  3. Turn it off and see how long it takes to fully recharge (stop charging).
If it stops charging after a short time, then you know that it was using the charger instead of the battery to play music at step #2.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #908 of 1,870
Here's a way to test what's happening.
  1. Plug the BTR3 into a charger and let it charge to full.
  2. Leave the BTR3 on the charger, and play music for a few hours
  3. Turn it off and see how long it takes to fully recharge (stop charging).
If it stops charging after a short time, then you know that it was using the charger instead of the battery to play music at step #2.

Why not simply use the battery status indicator that displays on the android phones when BT3 is connected to it ?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #909 of 1,870
Isn’t the battery status indicator on the android Accurate enough to tell you ?
Yes, that will work as long as you played music long enough for a clear result (e.g. if expecting 80% for playing from the battery, but the app shows 98% I would consider it confirmed that it was using charger power).

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #910 of 1,870
Thanks for input guys.
Just need to test out whether the BT3 will auto start charging again when it’s battery level falls low. This could be a great solution for creating wireless speaker setups.

*EDIT Found the missing parts in iOS app.
Works same as Android L

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019 at 5:38 PM Post #911 of 1,870
With Android 6.0 my battery indicator doesn't display percentage numbers. It is just an icon that shows 4 different levels: full, half full, about a quarter full and empty. Is it different from that in newer Android or iOS versions?

Jan 21, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #912 of 1,870
Thanks for input guys.
Just need to test out whether the BT3 will auto start charging again when it’s battery level falls low. This could be a great solution for creating wireless speaker setups.

@FiiO any plans to improve the iPhone FIIO app so that like the android app you can check the BT3 status, adjust equ etc. ?

Whether it works like I thought or just like a typical Li-Ion powered device, leaving the BTR3 connected to the charger should keep it running and will either keep the battery fully charged or will keep it between almost fully charged and fully charged. Any of those are good options. A bad option would be that the battery-charger connection keeps the battery getting charged after being already full. That is not happening with my BTR3. My BTR3 would get warm/hot if that were happening, and my BTR3 always stays cold/cool no matter how long I leave it connected to the charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back