FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Feb 1, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #946 of 1,870
Also very happy with how the BT3 is performing and now needs tweaking like Shockdude mentioned.

I have just ordered a pair of Sony MH755 earphones specifically to go with the BT3.
These earphones were made specifically to be used with an armband Sony BT receiver so they are short in length. Also one of the earphone cables is longer than the other from the splitter so that it can be worn by running it back of the neck.

This is really neat style of earphones for using with BT3 for walks, gym etc. Just clip the BT3 to upper part of clothing close to pocket/collar and the earphones will be just the right tidy length.

They have got some really positive feedback on the forums and are said to follow the harmonic curve nicely.

Hope to give feedback on how it sounds with the BT3 next week.

I say this is a cheap £5 must have addon for the BT3.
Fiio now makes a 45 cm cable. :)

https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/102911.html

Feb 1, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #947 of 1,870
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #948 of 1,870
You kind of missed the point.
I pointed out a ready to go complete short headphones solution. And they have very good reviews for sound quality.
I appreciated your comment about a shorter cable and was pointing out to others who might like myself were looking for a similar solution to using a mmcx iem with fiio's btr1k or btr3.

I often miss the point; it is how I explore new adventurers. :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #949 of 1,870
I appreciated your comment about a shorter cable and was pointing out to others who might like myself were looking for a similar solution to using a mmcx iem with fiio's btr1k or btr3.

I often miss the point; it is how I explore new adventurers. :)
Short cables are part and parcel to the portable experience. JAYS understood this...my first single-BA IEM (d-JAYS) had an inline 3.5 mm connector pair in their cable for exactly this purpose. I think Sony and some others used to do the same back in the 80s&90s.

I'm using the LC-3.5BS with my ES100 and FA7. It's definitely an upgrade from FiiO's other short cable, in terms of durability and ergonomics. Finally, a short MMCX cable with a chin slider, and a measure of strain relief at the far ends.

Feb 1, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #950 of 1,870
Short cables are part and parcel to the portable experience. JAYS understood this...my first single-BA IEM (d-JAYS) had an inline 3.5 mm connector pair in their cable for exactly this purpose. I think Sony and some others used to do the same back in the 80s&90s.

I'm using the LC-3.5BS with my ES100 and FA7. It's definitely an upgrade from FiiO's other short cable, in terms of durability and ergonomics. Finally, a short MMCX cable with a chin slider, and a measure of strain relief at the far ends.
My lc-3.5bs is ordered and due to arrive Sunday. :)

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #954 of 1,870
@FiiO
I plan to use the BTR3 to connect to my Marantz Stereo Amplifier. Would it be OK to have it powered permanently via USB?
frolsa on 4pda says, that BTR3 stops charging when 100% is reached and it doesn't start charging again until it's physically reconnected or the connection is restarted.

Feb 4, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #955 of 1,870
@FiiO

I plan to use the BTR3 to connect to my Marantz Stereo Amplifier. Would it be OK to have it powered permanently via USB?

I have used it with my Music Fidelity amp. Sounded amazing with BT LDAC and I intend to buy another one so I can leave it connected to the amp.

@FiiO

Is the Low Pass DAC filter fully implemented as I’m Not noticing any differences between the options ?
Please clarify how each is supposed to affect the sound.

Secondly is the Low Pass Filter setting saved to the BTR3 like you intend to do with the Equaliser settings ?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 1:58 AM Post #956 of 1,870
I'm trying to connect BTR3 to iPad pro 11, which has Type-C connector.

Using a Type-C to Type-C cable doesn't work. Tested three different C to C cables on Note 8, and iPad, still nothing.
If I connect a Type-C external SSD, it does show up, so the cables do data transfer.

Only way I can get BTR3 to work in DAC mode is if i use a Type-C OTG adapter -> USB-A to Type-C cable.
Is there any particular brand of Type-C to Type-C cable that will get BTR3 working in DAC mode on iPad?

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #957 of 1,870
I'm wondering, did anyone compare it, with sound coming from direct USB or LDAC BT, to the Dragonfly Red?

I know the Dragonfly should be superior, but i'm wondering how it compares, how far back is it in terms of sq (especially soundstage).
I have the dragonfly Black and the the sound quality is a still a bit better on the DFB. The dragonfly is 2-3x louder, more balanced, more micro details and subtle nuances can be heard, soundstage is wide open, sound is more natural and less fatiguing. more forward midrange and smoother than the BTR3.

The BTR3 sounds a bit more dynamic but narrower. Seems to have a slight emphasis on highs and lows. Midrange is a bit recessed compared to the dragonfly. BTR3 sounds like it has more depth instead of width. less natural sounding than the DFB. Blacker background.

I have done my comparison when the BTR3 is connected as a DAC instead of Bluetooth to make sure there is no compression affecting the SQ comparison.

That said, they are the best Bluetooth receiver Ive heard to date. No lags when watching videos. black background, no noise. The SQ when connected via bluetooth and wired is not so big to be bothered about.

Disclaimer : I primarily listen to the BTR3 via my Stereo / Hifi and MSR7 Full sized Headphones. It might be different with IEMs which I do not own.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #959 of 1,870
I'm trying to connect BTR3 to iPad pro 11, which has Type-C connector.

Using a Type-C to Type-C cable doesn't work. Tested three different C to C cables on Note 8, and iPad, still nothing.
If I connect a Type-C external SSD, it does show up, so the cables do data transfer.

Only way I can get BTR3 to work in DAC mode is if i use a Type-C OTG adapter -> USB-A to Type-C cable.
Is there any particular brand of Type-C to Type-C cable that will get BTR3 working in DAC mode on iPad?
Sorry I have no suggestion for your case but I have heard wired vs wireless of the BTR3 and the increase in SQ is not significant enough to bother with all the hassle of tethering it to the device. I tested both AAC and APTX. If you have Apple Music, it is essentially lossless transmission (of the 256k AAC file) between the ipad and the BTR3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back