FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Aug 25, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #241 of 1,870
The MSRP is supposed to be $69.99? Even a better deal. I paid $79.99 and already pretty happy with it. :D

And yeah, the USB-C is great, forgot to mention it. That reminds me of one annoying thing with it though, the USB-C and the headphone jack sit too close together. As the result, using it as USB DAC can be a challenge if the headphone jack is somewhat thick.

I didn't know the Bluewave Get wheel can get loose, that will be annoying as the volume control is really only like from 3/4 onward. It's something I actually like as I can precisely control the volume, but if it get loose, accidental turn could make this deadly...

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #242 of 1,870
The MSRP is supposed to be $69.99? Even a better deal. I paid $79.99 and already pretty happy with it. :D

And yeah, the USB-C is great, forgot to mention it. That reminds me of one annoying thing with it though, the USB-C and the headphone jack sit too close together. As the result, using it as USB DAC can be a challenge if the headphone jack is somewhat thick.

I didn't know the Bluewave Get wheel can get loose, that will be annoying as the volume control is really only like from 3/4 onward. It's something I actually like as I can precisely control the volume, but if it get loose, accidental turn could make this deadly...

Yep, the full release MSRP is that yeah. You're paying a bit of a premium to be an early adopter. Not a huge deal haha.

I can see that issue too but at 24mW (at whatever Ohms) I don't expect to see any headphones with bulky jacks to be used with the BTR3 besides for review testing and ...for the 'lulz'

Yeah, my review of the GET (coming soon) mentions that. Uncontrolled volume is something i always fear when using the GET. My wheel has close to no friction nowadays whereas it had a lot when I first got it.

I've gotten used to the digital vol control of the BTR3.

For me, signal robustness and reliability with a BT audiophile device is paramount. The BTR3 passes that with flying colors.

The startup sound though.... I hate it

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #243 of 1,870
Yep, the full release MSRP is that yeah. You're paying a bit of a premium to be an early adopter. Not a huge deal haha.

I can see that issue too but at 24mW (at whatever Ohms) I don't expect to see any headphones with bulky jacks to be used with the BTR3 besides for review testing and ...for the 'lulz'

Yeah, my review of the GET (coming soon) mentions that. Uncontrolled volume is something i always fear when using the GET. My wheel has close to no friction nowadays whereas it had a lot when I first got it.

I've gotten used to the digital vol control of the BTR3.

For me, signal robustness and reliability with a BT audiophile device is paramount. The BTR3 passes that with flying colors.

The startup sound though.... I hate it

I actually tried it with Fostex TH-X00. That is quite easy to drive and BTR3 can still drive it pretty loud. :D The problem is I need adapter, I used Grado 6.3 to 3.5 adapter and with the USB-C cable connected, both the jack and the cable is already pushing each other. I can see this being a problem for those that use aftermarket cable for their IEM, i.e jack like Eidolic that have huge barrel.

I actually don't experience much issue with Bluewave Get connectivity though, it's pretty solid for me. But I can see BTR3 to be better though, almost zero issue with it so far.

Startup sound, yeah... they probably trying to fit it in something like 128kB storage... :D Personally, I rarely heard it as I usually didn't wear my IEM when I turn on the BTR3.

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #244 of 1,870
I actually tried it with Fostex TH-X00. That is quite easy to drive and BTR3 can still drive it pretty loud. :D The problem is I need adapter, I used Grado 6.3 to 3.5 adapter and with the USB-C cable connected, both the jack and the cable is already pushing each other. I can see this being a problem for those that use aftermarket cable for their IEM, i.e jack like Eidolic that have huge barrel.

I actually don't experience much issue with Bluewave Get connectivity though, it's pretty solid for me. But I can see BTR3 to be better though, almost zero issue with it so far.

Startup sound, yeah... they probably trying to fit it in something like 128kB storage... :D Personally, I rarely heard it as I usually didn't wear my IEM when I turn on the BTR3.

Try much less. The startup clip sounds like a stereo 64kbps (32kbps per ear) with a 2second duration.

Meaning you have a total file size of like sub 200kilo bits which is 25kB of storage.

Haha....

Now I'm curious and want FiiO to check

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #245 of 1,870
Initial test of using BTR3 as USB DAC has failed with a Dell XPS 15 9550 with stock included cable.

Weird, driver installed and recognized as BTR3 but no audio is able to play. Verified sound settings, unchecked exclusive mode to test. Tried multiple ports including another USB-C to USB-C cable I have. Un-able to get audio output.

Might need a computer restart but can't do that right now as I have stuff I'm working on with this laptop.

Will try with my desktop tomorrow.

Please note this is not definite stuff. Just posting moment by moment / play by of my experience with the BTR3. Not the end of the world.

Aug 26, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #246 of 1,870
Have you click the power button in quick succession 3 times? It took several try, but keep trying until the LED is constantly white.

Aug 26, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #247 of 1,870
Loving the BTR3 so far, and I just got the new LC-2.5c balanced cable (not for the BTR3) from Fiio, gotta give it to them they are starting to put out some very good products these days, and working in China I seem to be able to get my hands on them fairly quick which I love. I do have a slightly off topic question though, hoping you guys may be able to answer? I currently use a AK70-MKII , and for IEM'S I have the new Fiio FH5, and some CampfireAudio Polaris. I was looking at new DAP's and was thinking of the Hiby R6, but Im very confused with the balanced power output. The AK70-MKII states 4.0vrms, and the Hiby R6 states 300mW (RMS) at 32ohm. I have no clue now these compare, does one have a much higher output? I mainly use the balances 2.5mm jack, but never really go to to 100% volume on the AK70-MKII. Just wondering if the Hiby will be a good match for my IEM's, as their DAP looks very appealing, great OS, very good EQ, large battery, USB C quick charging. Sorry for the noob question, just not sure how to compare Vrms to rms

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #248 of 1,870
Have you click the power button in quick succession 3 times? It took several try, but keep trying until the LED is constantly white.

Found out how to get it working. This is very annoying.

It's very misleading as with the device powered off and plugging it into my computer, the device gets noticed as being there. Therefore I immediately think this device can be used without it being turned on pre-emptive to plugging it in.

And you can't simply just turn it on as it would just auto quick connect to your phone causing it not to enter USB mode. I had to disable BT on my phone and other paired BT device (desktop) and then do the quick triple tap for the DAC to start working.

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #249 of 1,870
Found out how to get it working. This is very annoying.

It's very misleading as with the device powered off and plugging it into my computer, the device gets noticed as being there. Therefore I immediately think this device can be used without it being turned on pre-emptive to plugging it in.

And you can't simply just turn it on as it would just auto quick connect to your phone causing it not to enter USB mode. I had to disable BT on my phone and other paired BT device (desktop) and then do the quick triple tap for the DAC to start working.

Hmm... There is no need to disable Bluetooth on paired device, the triple tap works even if it is connected to Bluetooth. The Bluetooth device will stay connected, the triple tap will then switch between USB DAC input and Bluetooth input. It could be convenient, that you can easily switch between inputs and both stay connected, but the triple tap is unreliable enough that it requires multiple try to get it right.

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #250 of 1,870
Hmm... There is no need to disable Bluetooth on paired device, the triple tap works even if it is connected to Bluetooth. The Bluetooth device will stay connected, the triple tap will then switch between USB DAC input and Bluetooth input. It could be convenient, that you can easily switch between inputs and both stay connected, but the triple tap is unreliable enough that it requires multiple try to get it right.

I had a feeling FiiO made that the case. I didn't test that option tonight. Last time it didn't work as it auto connected to my phone's BT and started playing my playlist off that.

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #251 of 1,870
I had a feeling FiiO made that the case. I didn't test that option tonight. Last time it didn't work as it auto connected to my phone's BT and started playing my playlist off that.

Yeah, I just tested it and it worked that way. Hopefully they could increase the tolerance a bit, the triple tap had to be really quick right now. :D

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #252 of 1,870
finally got to try my btr3 a little, smaller than expected. Also it works better than my other apt-x ll receivers ive used.

Now waiting for the tin t2 to pair with it.

btr3.png

Aug 28, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #253 of 1,870
Yeah, I just tested it and it worked that way. Hopefully they could increase the tolerance a bit, the triple tap had to be really quick right now. :D
Dear friend,

Yes, we will report to the engineers about that and check whether they could change the operation of entering DAC mode.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 28, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #254 of 1,870
Dear friend,

Yes, we will report to the engineers about that and check whether they could change the operation of entering DAC mode.

Best regards

Awesome, thanks :)

Aug 28, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #255 of 1,870
Loving the BTR3 so far, and I just got the new LC-2.5c balanced cable (not for the BTR3) from Fiio, gotta give it to them they are starting to put out some very good products these days, and working in China I seem to be able to get my hands on them fairly quick which I love. I do have a slightly off topic question though, hoping you guys may be able to answer? I currently use a AK70-MKII , and for IEM'S I have the new Fiio FH5, and some CampfireAudio Polaris. I was looking at new DAP's and was thinking of the Hiby R6, but Im very confused with the balanced power output. The AK70-MKII states 4.0vrms, and the Hiby R6 states 300mW (RMS) at 32ohm. I have no clue now these compare, does one have a much higher output? I mainly use the balances 2.5mm jack, but never really go to to 100% volume on the AK70-MKII. Just wondering if the Hiby will be a good match for my IEM's, as their DAP looks very appealing, great OS, very good EQ, large battery, USB C quick charging. Sorry for the noob question, just not sure how to compare Vrms to rms

Hi

Could you confirm how long that Fiio LC balanced cable is? Is it the standard 125cm?

I've not actually seen these for sale anywhere in the UK yet.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back