[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #901 of 3,650
Yes it works great in my car through the AUX input. My car only allows 1 BT connection and I play music from my M11 to the BTR5 to eliminate a cable.
Interesting, I will have a think. My current sound system is fine, but always looking for improve T's & getting use of the AAC Bluetooth codec would be just that.

Seeing a I use an LG V30 with wired headphones, I really wouldn't have any other use for the BTR5 right?

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #902 of 3,650
Interesting, I will have a think. My current sound system is fine, but always looking for improve T's & getting use of the AAC Bluetooth codec would be just that.

Seeing a I use an LG V30 with wired headphones, I really wouldn't have any other use for the BTR5 right?

Besides sounding better no. :wink:

Feb 12, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #904 of 3,650
BTR5 sounding better than the LG's DAC? Doubt it.
It most certainly does. My V30 has now been sold and so has my A105, R5, Dragonfly Cobalt. Also returned a ZX507 but only due to EU volume cap killing it.

V30 is great as a music phone but not against great DAC/AMPs.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #905 of 3,650
It most certainly does. My V30 has now been sold and so has my A105, R5, Dragonfly Cobalt. Also returned a ZX507 but only due to EU volume cap killing it.

V30 is great as a music phone but not against great DAC/AMPs.
Interesting.

So, headphones (wired) plug into the AUX in the BTR5, BTR5 connects via BT to phone of choice.. That's it?

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #906 of 3,650
BTR5 sounding better than the LG's DAC? Doubt it.

Lol ok believe what you want. It's more than just the dac. It's the implementation and the amp stage and LPF that really shape the sound. I've heard the LG and I've heard the btr5 so I've got ya there :wink: Of course I use balanced, but it sounds as good or better than the myriad of daps I've tried over the last 2 months, and 3 of those were 1200.00 dollar daps.

Now those could drive demanding headphones better on balanced. But on my stuff the btr5 sounded just as good to my ears.

Lg v30 sounds good, but this just sounds better imo.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #907 of 3,650
Interesting.

So, headphones (wired) plug into the AUX in the BTR5, BTR5 connects via BT to phone of choice.. That's it?
?

The BTR5 has a 3.5mm connector for standard cable and a 2.5mm connector for balanced cables.

You can then said audio to it over BT, ideally LDAC BT or connect with an appropriate USB cable to phone or PC to use as a wired DAC/AMP.

Not sure what your refering to with AUX.

I've use my BTR5 with Shure SE846, Noble K10U IEM's and also my Audeze Mobious wired and all sound great.

I use it wired while indoors and via LDAC BT when out & about.

As shown previously i thread. (Here with K10U via 3.5mm cable)

20200207_200729.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #909 of 3,650
?

The BTR5 has a 3.5mm connector for standard cable and a 2.5mm connector for balanced cables.

You can then said audio to it over BT, ideally LDAC BT or connect with an appropriate USB cable to phone or PC to use as a wired DAC/AMP.

Not sure what your refering to with AUX.

I've use my BTR5 with Shure SE846, Noble K10U IEM's and also my Audeze Mobious wired and all sound great.

I use it wired while indoors and via LDAC BT when out & about.
Sorry, meant to say wired into 3.5mm connection jack.

Feb 12, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #910 of 3,650
This thing really shines via USB out with dsd files.

I know. I'd never heard DSD's as good as out of the Mojo & Hugo 2 but they also sound amazing out of the BTR5 when wired too.

I still cant get my head around how this can sound so good for a sub £100 device, especially via balanced.

Only the ZX507 for me sounds as good but with Sony sound signature. Will likely still get another ZX507 import without volume cap at some point.

PS. I've not had a DAP above £750 before so can't comment on the real premium DAP's.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #911 of 3,650
I know. I'd never heard DSD's as good as out of the Mojo & Hugo 2 but they also sound amazing out of the BTR5 when wired too.

I still cant get my head around how this can sound so good for a sub £100 device, especially via balanced.

Only the ZX507 for me sounds as good but with Sony sound signature. Will likely still get another ZX507 import without volume cap at some point.

PS. I've not had a DAP above £750 before so can't comment on the real premium DAP's.

It has all the hallmarks of a more expensive gear sonically. Big sound stage, good positioning in the imaginary stage with good space for individual instruments. Also great dynamics, low noise, good attack and decay speed, realistic timbre and good control and extension end to end.

Pretty amazing for the price and size. I'm listening to Lep Zepp 'The Song remains the same' and the speed and dynamics are really, really good. The 'heavyness' of Bonzos drumming is really coming through.

I'm getting the details of the sustain of the ride cymbals in the beginning and usually that doesn't come through in most gear. And I'm using it with ldac to boot!

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #913 of 3,650
I have ifi XDSD is it worth getting BTR5 over xDSD I like the form factor and convenience of 2.5mm ballanced? has anyone compared it with DX160 or Sony A105. Thanks
A105 is great (non EU one) but BTR5 balanced sounds better and A105 can't drive what the BTR5 can. I sold on my A105 import after getting the BTR5.

Feb 12, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #915 of 3,650
Has anybody compared the BTR5 against a Dragonfly Cobalt yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back