[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2020 at 1:11 AM Post #871 of 3,678
Probably a stupid question, I apologise in advance, but I am confused since I have seen people doing this:

Can this thing drive an HD6XX? I guess not, but, I was wondering if anyone tried it, thanks!!!

I am sure i have read that it can drive Sennheiser HD600 (300 Ohm) and Beyerdynamic T1 (600 Ohm) without a problem.

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #872 of 3,678
Replying to my own post, 0.78mm 2pin 2.5mm balanced cheapo cable arrived today and as with my SE846's the K10U sound better balanced vs SE.

The cable is amazing for £15 but I had to use a hairdryer to warm up the soft memory sleeve to bend to a tighter angle as per the included Noble SE cable. Doesn't have an adjuster sleeve to tighten up to chin but can easily fit one over the ends if I need it.

This cable is also good for the K10U as it has the small rectangular pieces around the pins so fits into same recess as the original cable. Many of the 2pin's have a round connector.

20200210_150843.jpg

I also already have the Fiio 2.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor so can leave the balanced on if I need to go SE.

20200210_152501.jpg

With both the SE846 & K10U the music sounds more alive/3D/holographic/pristine/distinct via balanced out of the BTR5. Just more organic/musical. Those words come to mind anyway for me.

Said it before, the BTR5 is bloody amazing over balanced either as a wired DAC or via LDAC BT.

Also the BTR5/K10U combo does sound more high-end than the BTR5/SE846 (as it should really).

The sound signature between the K10U & SE846 are different and I will be keeping both. The SE846 is still best for fit and looks better in ear when out & about and are a warmer sound compared to the brighter K10U.

Never thought I'd like anything more than my SE846's but these K10U might just be my new favourite for SQ.

Good to hear! But I think I would just want an adapter to 2.5mm. Leave that in the BTR5 and use 3.5mm on other sources if I can't use the BTR5. Now just get a nice and not TO expensive adapter.

Feb 11, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #873 of 3,678
Good to hear! But I think I would just want an adapter to 2.5mm. Leave that in the BTR5 and use 3.5mm on other sources if I can't use the BTR5. Now just get a nice and not TO expensive adapter.

3.5mm male single-ended to 2.5mm female balanced adapter : OK to use.

2.5mm male balanced to 3.5mm female single-ended adapter : NOT OK to use.

Feb 11, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #874 of 3,678
3.5mm male single-ended to 2.5mm female balanced adapter : OK to use.

2.5mm male balanced to 3.5mm female single-ended adapter : NOT OK to use.
So using this balanced cable (which I already own) and then using an adapter to use it on 2.5mm should be fine?!

Edit: Oh wait, guess this would not work. I'd be better off getting a new 2.5mm balanced cable then I guess?!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #875 of 3,678
So using this balanced cable (which I already own) and then using an adapter to use it on 2.5mm should be fine?!
Wait...you have a 3.5mm connector on your cable and want to use an adapter to plug into 2.5mm jack? That would be a NO. If on the other hand you have a 2.5mm cable connector why would you need an adapter?

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #876 of 3,678
Wait...you have a 3.5mm connector on your cable and want to use an adapter to plug into 2.5mm jack? That would be a NO. If on the other hand you have a 2.5mm cable connector why would you need an adapter?
Yeah, just updated my message. What I want, probably won't work. I have a 3.5mm Balanced cable, that I would like to use on the 2.5mm of the BTR5. But as you state: that won't work. I'll probably get this one, with 2.5mm: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07ZQD54XR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A166SV9QJZG8W0&psc=1

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #877 of 3,678
Probably a stupid question, I apologise in advance, but I am confused since I have seen people doing this:

Can this thing drive an HD6XX? I guess not, but, I was wondering if anyone tried it, thanks!!!

Yes, especially balanced but even SE will get you enough volume. Of course it's not gonna sound 100% as good as a high quality desktop amp, but it works fine

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #878 of 3,678
Feb 11, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #880 of 3,678

Edit: Oh wait, guess this would not work. I'd be better off getting a new 2.5mm balanced cable then I guess?!

Any time a balanced (whatever plug) cable is used with a balanced-to-balanced adapter, it is fine. You are merely changing which plug it is, the setup as a whole reminds in balanced configuration. It is when you are changing single-ended (cable) to balanced (plug) that you must pay attention - that's, if the cable is single-ended to begin with, you can't make it into balanced by using an adapter. To use balanced audio, the cable must be in balanced first. A balanced cable can be use with whatever adapter (balanced to balanced ot balanced to single-ended) you want, but a single-ended cable can NEVER be used with balanced adapter.

That cable in the link above doesn't have a 3.5mm balanced version (all the option for 3.5mm plug is for single-ended). So just to be absolutely sure, you should confirm whether it is indeed balanced or not.

Yeah, just updated my message. What I want, probably won't work. I have a 3.5mm Balanced cable, that I would like to use on the 2.5mm of the BTR5. But as you state: that won't work. I'll probably get this one, with 2.5mm: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07ZQD54XR/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A166SV9QJZG8W0&psc=1

3.5mm balanced (Hifiman standard TRRS) is fine actually. As said above, you can use a 2.5mm male balanced to 3.5mm female balanced adapter with an 3.5mm balanced cable, as it is balanced-to-balanced.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #881 of 3,678

Yep that's it. You get about 75 db of seperation with SE and 118 decibels with balanced, that's measured with a load also so you've got less crosstalk in balanced and more seperation between channels.

Your brain will interpret that as more ''space' in the sound field. That's one real benefit with a balanced circuit besides low noise and more power. Not that they could get those specs on the 3.5 out, they certainly could but 'balanced' seems here to stay.

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #882 of 3,678
Any time a balanced (whatever plug) cable is used with a balanced-to-balanced adapter, it is fine. You are merely changing which plug it is, the setup as a whole reminds in balanced configuration. It is when you are changing single-ended (cable) to balanced (plug) that you must pay attention - that's, if the cable is single-ended to begin with, you can't make it into balanced by using an adapter. To use balanced audio, the cable must be in balanced first. A balanced cable can be use with whatever adapter (balanced to balanced ot balanced to single-ended) you want, but a single-ended cable can NEVER be used with balanced adapter.

Right, otherwise you'll short the circuit out because it wont be grounded (dual) properly and that could damage your circuit. I never even knew 3.5 balanced existed until I got the ifi xdsd. With that honestly I didn't notice much if any difference.

3.5mm balanced (Hifiman standard) is fine actually. As said above, you can use a 2.5mm male balanced to 3.5mm female balanced adapter with an 3.5mm balanced cable, as it is balanced-to-balanced.

Sorry, posted in the quote :0

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #883 of 3,678
This cable will work. :wink:

What u have is a 3.5 single ended ( unbalanced ) cable. Just to clarify your thoughts. :)
Awesome, thanks!

I thought he had a 3.5 balanced cable.

I thought so to. But now: I'm not sure anymore... How can I tell? By the black stripes on the plug?

That cable in the link above doesn't have a 3.5mm balanced version (all the option for 3.5mm plug is for single-ended). So just to be absolutely sure, you should confirm whether it is indeed balanced or not.

3.5mm balanced (Hifiman standard TRRS) is fine actually. As said above, you can use a 2.5mm male balanced to 3.5mm female balanced adapter with an 3.5mm balanced cable, as it is balanced-to-balanced.

Alright! I guess since mine probably are not balanced, I should just get the 2.5mm one I linked.

Yep that's it. You get about 75 db of seperation with SE and 118 decibels with balanced, that's measured with a load also so you've got less crosstalk in balanced and more seperation between channels.

Your brain will interpret that as more ''space' in the sound field. That's one real benefit with a balanced circuit besides low noise and more power. Not that they could get those specs on the 3.5 out, they certainly could but 'balanced' seems here to stay.
Awesome, thanks!

Feb 11, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #884 of 3,678
Awesome, thanks!

I thought so to. But now: I'm not sure anymore... How can I tell? By the black stripes on the plug?

Alright! I guess since mine probably are not balanced, I should just get the 2.5mm one I linked.

Awesome, thanks!

The balanced will have 3 black lines on it instead of 2 , 4 poles counting the end.

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #885 of 3,678

I was writing about this cable with 3.5 plug.
That's not a balanced cable.
It's a balanced to se adapter, so you can use a 2.5 balanced cable to the socket ( 3 black strips) with a se plug ( 2 strips ) on the amp side.
The opposite way 3.5 to 2.5 could frye your balanced amp in case of a shortcut between r+ and r- connect to ground of the socket.

The only 3.5 balanced connection i do know is the headphone plug of the Oppo PM-3 i have. But on the amp side, there is a 2.5 balanced plug. :wink:
sketch-1581448929541.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back