[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #931 of 3,649
I am sure i have read that it can drive Sennheiser HD600 (300 Ohm) and Beyerdynamic T1 (600 Ohm) without a problem.

I have used mine with both of those headphones and it drives them a treat. to be honest, ive not met a headphone yet that it struggles with. great bit of kit

Feb 16, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #933 of 3,649
This is meant to be used with headphones or iems plugged into the BTR5, right? It doesn't have bluetooth transmission to wireless headphones like a dap?
Correct. It can only receive Bluetooth connections. Not send them. So you'll need to plug your headset into it

Feb 16, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #935 of 3,649
Can someone explain to me the point of using one of these? And not just an audio player or amp that plugs into your phone?
It changes the whole sound of the music. Increased bitrate makes the music pop a bit more.

Means you don't have to plug anything into your phone. Especially as more phones now are losing the headphone jack.

Can drive more powerful headphones that require more driving than a standard phone can provide.

Can also be used as a sax when plugged into a pc via USB of up to 32bit/384khz. Higher than most other dacs, let alone of this size making the music sound that much better

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #936 of 3,649
It changes the whole sound of the music. Increased bitrate makes the music pop a bit more.

Means you don't have to plug anything into your phone. Especially as more phones now are losing the headphone jack.

Can drive more powerful headphones that require more driving than a standard phone can provide.

Can also be used as a sax when plugged into a pc via USB of up to 32bit/384khz. Higher than most other dacs, let alone of this size making the music sound that much better

’more phones now are losing the headphone jack’ that was the answer I was looking for thanks :)

would this be good enough for audeze el-8’s or is it not powerful enough?

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #937 of 3,649
’more phones now are losing the headphone jack’ that was the answer I was looking for thanks :)

It can definitely drive them with no issues. It's amazing the power it can push. I've yet to meet a hair of headphones that it can't drive to a easily loud enough level

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #938 of 3,649

Should be perfect with the EL-8. :)

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #939 of 3,649
It can definitely drive them with no issues. It's amazing the power it can push. I've yet to meet a hair of headphones that it can't drive to a easily loud enough level
Should be perfect with the EL-8. :)

hmm people used to tell me that it’s hard to I find an amp that will drive planars because they use so much power or something, is there any chance one of you can explain to me which readings to be looking for when looking at amps?

people used to tell me stuff like Astell and Kern mk2 weren’t powerful enough for el-8’s, now this tiny thing is?

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #940 of 3,649
hmm people used to tell me that it’s hard to I find an amp that will drive planars because they use so much power or something, is there any chance one of you can explain to me which readings to be looking for when looking at amps?

people used to tell me stuff like Astell and Kern mk2 weren’t powerful enough for el-8’s, now this tiny thing is?
There is a difference between "powerful enough to drive" and "drive it to it's full potential.

Planar are usually very power hungry.
But the btr5 can drive my Era-1 ( 20ohm, 94db/mW) to nice listening levels out of the 3.5 se. Didn't try the 2.5 bal with the Quad.
With my Monitor 5 ( 40ohm/ 99db ), i can't barely go beyond 40 out of 60 on balanced without the chance of loss hearing.
My Audio GD R28 on the other side, gives the power to play with autority to their full potential.
That doesn't mean the R28 is able to reach higher volume levels ( it does ^^), it's more the dynamics and control, which brings more satisfaction to myself. :wink:

Your EL-8 will fit perfect balanced. :)

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #941 of 3,649
There is a difference between "powerful enough to drive" and "drive it to it's full potential.

Planar are usually very power hungry.
But the btr5 can drive my Era-1 ( 20ohm, 94db/mW) to nice listening levels out of the 3.5 se. Didn't try the 2.5 bal with the Quad.
With my Monitor 5 ( 40ohm/ 99db ), i can't barely go beyond 40 out of 60 on balanced without the chance of loss hearing.
My Audio GD R28 on the other side, gives the power to play with autority to their full potential.
That doesn't mean the R28 is able to reach higher volume levels ( it does ^^), it's more the dynamics and control, which brings more satisfaction to myself. :wink:

Your EL-8 will fit perfect balanced. :)
Balanced cables are gonna cost me £150, half the price of the headphones :frowning2:

so not without balanced?

Feb 16, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #942 of 3,649
Balanced cables are gonna cost me £150, half the price of the headphones :frowning2:

so not without balanced?
Even with SE it'll be a safe bet. --> see my writing about my Era-1.
Won't go beyond 50 on the long run with it.
The EL-8 is 30ohm and 102db/ mW.
Looks great so far for this combo.
Btr5 is capable to output 80mW on 32ohm in SE. :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #943 of 3,649
Even with SE it'll be a safe bet. --> see my writing about my Era-1.
The EL-8 is 30ohm and 102db/ mW.
Looks great so far for this combo.
Btr5 is capable to output 80mW on 32ohm in SE. :wink:
I don’t understand how mW work, so 102db is loud for headphones, so I will basically never use it more than 1mw? So u get things like A&K kann cube with 4w When headphones don’t even use a mw?

so even this 80mw for a headphone which will use at max 1 mw is overkill?

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #944 of 3,649
I don’t understand how mW work, so 102db is loud for headphones, so I will basically never use it more than 1mw? So u get things like A&K kann cube with 4w When headphones don’t even use a mw?

Here is a quick overview to increase your knowledge in a good manner. :wink:

Power usage of headphones/speakers has an exponentiale curve.
Your headphone needs 1mW to reach 102db,( don't know the methode of the measurements of audeze ) .

Here is a nice place to calculate the power needs of your EL-8

Hope that helps a bit to understand power consumption.

Ask more if needed.

Have a great listening. :)

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #945 of 3,649

Correct but I suppose you could say its about having a bit of spare headroom.

A typical family saloon with 160bhp will have a rated maximum speed of around 140mph+ but it will probably never be driven at that speed in reality.

But not many people would like to drive a car that only has a maximum rated speed of 70 mph on the motorway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back