[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #946 of 3,650
hmm people used to tell me that it’s hard to I find an amp that will drive planars because they use so much power or something, is there any chance one of you can explain to me which readings to be looking for when looking at amps?

people used to tell me stuff like Astell and Kern mk2 weren’t powerful enough for el-8’s, now this tiny thing is?
If this gives you any idea, they drive my DT 1770 Pro (250 ohms, 102 dB/1mW) perfectly fine, with the volume level for me at a comfortable 24.

Feb 16, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #947 of 3,650
Here is a quick overview to increase your knowledge in a good manner. :wink:

Power usage of headphones/speakers has an exponentiale curve.
Your headphone needs 1mW to reach 102db,( don't know the methode of the measurements of audeze ) .

Here is a nice place to calculate the power needs of your EL-8

Hope that helps a bit to understand power consumption.

Ask more if needed.

Have a great listening. :)
not even 0.8mw

who on earth would use headphones over 102db thats rly bad for ur ears.

why on earth does anyone need like 1watt amps lol

Feb 16, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #948 of 3,650
not even 0.8mw

who on earth would use headphones over 102db thats rly bad for ur ears.

why on earth does anyone need like 1watt amps lol
Don't forget that there are headphones like the Beyerdynamic T1 (600ohm, with 1400ohm peak at 120Hz) or low sensitive ones like well known hifiman or audeze (below 90db/mW).

Not every amp is made to perform well with low resistance transducer, and the most cheaper amps aren't suited for high resistance transducer to drive them well.
At higher resistance more voltage becomes very important, while on very low resistance the current is needed.

Use the calculator to get a better view over this specific examples. :wink:

Keep in mind that the power usage is exponentially.

Feb 16, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #949 of 3,650
Can the BTR5 output vis its usb to say a mojo? I can’t seem to find any smallish device that will receive my iPhone tidal streaming wirelessly and relay it to my mojo via usb out. I know the poly exists but the reviews on that are awful.

I’m just trying to keep my mojo+something small in my pocket and use my phone to control the stuff.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #950 of 3,650
Can the BTR5 output vis its usb to say a mojo? I can’t seem to find any smallish device that will receive my iPhone tidal streaming wirelessly and relay it to my mojo via usb out. I know the poly exists but the reviews on that are awful.

I’m just trying to keep my mojo+something small in my pocket and use my phone to control the stuff.
I BELIEVE not. The USB will accept input and let the BTR5 act as a wired DAC/AMP, but you cannot receive wirelessly and output through the USBC.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #951 of 3,650
Plus that would kind of be a waste of the btr5's excellent output tech. You've got dual dacs in true balanced mode, dual clock crystals, custom fpga, and xmos for usb in that tiny body.

I actually like the sound sig of the balanced out of the fiio over the mojo.

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #953 of 3,650
Made this short balanced cable yesterday for pairing Rose Maria with BTR5.

DSC_0018.jpg

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #954 of 3,650
I also am in the need for a very short balanced 2.5 to 3.5 cable for my PM-3.
Any makers there? :ksc75smile:

Looks good so far, @ClieOS . :wink:

Feb 17, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #955 of 3,650

For that you want a small DAP like the Shanling M0. It can receive Bluetooth and send it out of its USB C port to a Mojo or other DAC.

Feb 17, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #956 of 3,650
I haven't been very active in this hobby lately so I was wondering did FiiO increased the Price of BTR5 from $100 to $150 USD?

Apparently yes. 100$ is a decent price for this kind of device. Also Btr5 still give connection issues with 900kbs, so, unless you want to use it as a dac or you really need the display, I would go for something cheaper, like btr3 or the es100. Or wait untilsomething shows up eventually that offers over 1mbs, it's cehap and doesn't loose connection.

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #958 of 3,650
Apparently yes. 100$ is a decent price for this kind of device. Also Btr5 still give connection issues with 900kbs, so, unless you want to use it as a dac or you really need the display, I would go for something cheaper, like btr3 or the es100. Or wait untilsomething shows up eventually that offers over 1mbs, it's cehap and doesn't loose connection.

I've got no connection issues with 900kbs ldac at all. I can go about 30 feet before break up. Maybe you have a defective unit. I got mine for 100 bucks, it was 119 and I had a 20 dollar coupon.

I think it's still in early days, I think it will revert back to 119.00 after it loses some novelty. However it does punch way beyond it's price making lots of devices redundant.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #959 of 3,650
That isn't right at all.
I don't encounter such drops with my V30 within a distance of approx. 6 meter and a door between the devices.

It depends on the pairing, i think.
Or your device got faulty, don't know for sure.

Hope y'all have a great day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back