[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 9, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #3,616 of 3,678
Apr 9, 2024 at 9:33 AM Post #3,617 of 3,678
Charge protection. Won't charge over 80%.
As he said, enable charge protection. I highly recommend turning it on if you use your BTR15 as a Desktop DAC via USB.

My brother has the first model of the BTR5 (2019), and it lacked this function. After years of desktop use, the battery swelled and pushed out the glass cover of the device. (It still works fine, though, but the battery now lasts less than an hour in bluetooth mode).

Apr 9, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #3,619 of 3,678
Has anyone else noticed a significant delay when pausing and then resuming media playback? For example, when starting (or pausing and then restarting) the playback of a video or a song, the first 0.3 to 0.5 seconds are cut off.

My brother and I both experience this issue with our BTR15 units. Is it possible to resolve this problem with a firmware update?

EDIT: I'm using the BTR15 in PC Mode attached via USB to my computer.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #3,620 of 3,678
Has anyone else noticed a significant delay when pausing and then resuming media playback? For example, when starting (or pausing and then restarting) the playback of a video or a song, the first 0.3 to 0.5 seconds are cut off.

My brother and I both experience this issue with our BTR15 units. Is it possible to resolve this problem with a firmware update?
Hello, yes it happens to me but when the pause is long and I have to resume playback after moving or having done something for a long time. I must say that it happens to me in Bluetooth mode and ldac codec (they say it is almost the worst in connection quality). Greetings!

Apr 9, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #3,621 of 3,678
Hey guys, today I made a battery life record and I'd like to share it with you. I managed 8 hours and 5 minutes with the following settings: Low gain, volume 43, ldac (16 bit 48kHz 330kbps), no EQ BTR15, fast filter, dual dac off and 3.5 headphone output (P.O). All this with FiiO FD7 IEMS and LC-RD Pro cable (same as FH9 IEMS). Does anyone manage to reach 8 hours and how? Thanks and greetings!

Apr 11, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #3,624 of 3,678
Just curious… If the BTR15 output connected to a powered speaker while charging the dac, will this interfere/damage the speakers?
if I plug my BTR15 into an AC/DC charger and try to wear the headphones I get a small zap so isolation isn't perfect. it doesn't happen if I plug it into a power bank so I guess it's something with the ground.

Apr 11, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #3,626 of 3,678
if I plug my BTR15 into an AC/DC charger and try to wear the headphones I get a small zap so isolation isn't perfect. it doesn't happen if I plug it into a power bank so I guess it's something with the ground.
In your opinion, if this connected to the powered speaker system (e.g. Active speaker) will this interfere/affect the speaker system?

I like using the BTR15 as an input for the speaker system as it gives more stage, high, low, separation. That’s also because of the EQ.

Apr 13, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #3,627 of 3,678
I keep using the BTR15 for nusic production on the go and heard today a friend's MOTU M2 audio interface, said on reviews to sound excellent due to the Sabre 32 Ultra DAC, the same used in their top-tier audio interfaces. Well, what a laugh. BTR15 sounds 50% better from top to bottom. The fidelity is much, much superior. I can't see how a "producer" can produce anything professional with that sound quality. The same applies to Focusrite Scarlett and M-Audio interfaces. BTR15 crushes them all in fidelity. Even Apogee BOOM, that sounds better than all those mentioned, it's not on par with BTR15. I keep saying this is a great solution for mixing on the go.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #3,628 of 3,678
That's true! I habe a Focusrite Scarlett for Ableton and compared to the BTR15 or the Fiio K7 it sounds crappy. Music production with the Fiio's is much more fun and sounds a lot better as the Focusrite.

Apr 13, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #3,629 of 3,678
That's true! I habe a Focusrite Scarlett for Ableton and compared to the BTR15 or the Fiio K7 it sounds crappy. Music production with the Fiio's is much more fun and sounds a lot better as the Focusrite.
I've been using it with ASIO4ALL V2, latencies are low, no issues and the SQ is really, really good. Those crappy sounding audio interfaces should be updated. I can't hear a realistic timbre, a sparkly treble, nor even transparent, clean vocals and quality bass out of that crap. lol. Makes it impossible for me to work with instruments (VST or samples) that I need to know exactly how they sound like, because some will be key on that particular song. Not to mention vocals. How can someone do a good mastering with those interfaces? Nobody can. It's an illusion of beginners and perhaps a part of their evolution process. You think it's great and when you submit your song to playlist curators, all say that it doesn't sound professional. What bugs me is that they are priced over 200€-300€ and seems that they are just worried about preamps, not sound quality. I didn't even mentioned other brands.

Those reviews are all a lie. Nobody in their perfect judgment can tell that a MOTU M4 sounds amazing, as most reviews say. Simply sounds mediocre for professional use. Can't get the job done with radio quality. Ask someone with a great sounding song/production what do they use.

That's why I've choosen Antelope Audio. But in the absence of the Antelope interface, BTR15 has been fantastic, does a great job with timbre, vocals, treble extension and detail, has a great dynamic range and imaging, excellent low end quality, all key factors for a successful, near professional result, that just need to be polished later on with a decent audio interface. I'm no amateur, but am no hit maker also, I do Ghost producing for a living, but if my songs don't sound professional, I can't survive in this jungle that is music production, especially EDM.

When I decided to spend some time A/B'ing Antelope Zen Go with BTR15, I found that Zen Go sounds much better, but BTR15 is no toy. It's a swiss army DAC, a time saver and a problem solver. I take my laptop and a mini DAC of this quality and I'm all set to work wherever I go. With the sound quality that's required for me on those circunstances.

An example of a crappy sounding interface on review:

OVERVIEW:​

The Audient iD4 MKII is a smart buy for those requiring top-notch sound quality in a portable package.

PROS:

• Outstanding audio quality
Say what??? Outstanding?

That interface sounds as bad, as below average, as MOTU M4, Focusrite Scarlett and all those mentioned above. Their definition of top-notch sound quality is quite distant from reality. And that's what feeds manufacturers to keep selling trash. Everybody's happy. lol. Even a 120€ DAC from FiiO is vastly superior (and much cheaper).

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #3,630 of 3,678
@FiiO as of the many bugs, can you pls roughly estimate when we will get a firmware update? i can use it only in usb wired mode, as the random reboots, the gain issue and the randomly lost settings are too dangerous for my hearing in bt mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back