[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #3,586 of 3,639
It's true what you say, but the volume is set correctly if you press the customX(1, 2,3) key again. It's a horrible mistake. But, what I mean is the equalizer functionality, it crashes too much and doesn't work properly. When you go into the advanced options the interface shrinks and sometimes there is no way to properly set the Q factor further down. And everything is incredibly slow, the fiio control app does not meet the expectations of the advanced and demanding user. It is very poor software and should be redesigned again in my opinion.
Dear friend,

1. I failed to reproduce the volume problem with EQ.
2. When you go into the advanced options the interface shrinks and sometimes there is no way to properly set the Q factor further down.
--Would you mind showing a picture or video about that?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 28, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #3,587 of 3,639
Just updated my BTR15 to 3.5 firmware and having problems with EQ in wired phone mode.

EQ seems to work ok in bluetooth mode but turning on the EQ via app in wired phone mode cuts the sound. Is it something to do with the new bypass eq mode that doesn't seem to be in the mobile app yet?

App version is: iOS 1.2.9
Dear friend,

Hi, do you mean that you could turning on the EQ in iOS FiiO Control app for BTR15 when connecting to iOS device via USB? The APP should not support the BTR15 when using USB connection.
Or are you using the EQ menu in the BTR15 for turning on the EQ? In USB mode, the device will be recognized again when turning EQ on/off, so the music will pause at that time.
As for the Bypass mode, it will be added in the APP in later update.

Best regards

Last edited:

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 28, 2024 at 5:18 AM Post #3,588 of 3,639
Dear friend,

Hi, do you mean that you could turning on the EQ in iOS FiiO Control app for BTR15 when connecting to iOS device via USB? The APP should not support the BTR15 when using USB connection.
Or are you using the EQ menu in the BTR15 for turning on the EQ? In USB mode, the device will be recognized again when turning EQ on/off, so the music will pause at that time.
As for the Bypass mode, it will be added in the APP in later update.

Best regards
Editing the EQ via the App (iOS) used to work for me while connected via USB (Phone Mode). App EQ edit also works on my old BTR3k in USB mode.

USB mode on iOS seems to be a bit erratic since updating to 3.5, sometimes get no sound unless reboot / switch EQ profiles etc. Will test some more over weekend to try and figure out what does and doesn't work!

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #3,589 of 3,639
Editing the EQ via the App (iOS) used to work for me while connected via USB (Phone Mode). App EQ edit also works on my old BTR3k in USB mode.

USB mode on iOS seems to be a bit erratic since updating to 3.5, sometimes get no sound unless reboot / switch EQ profiles etc. Will test some more over weekend to try and figure out what does and doesn't work!
Dear friend,

Ok, you could share more details to us if there is issue still. Thank you.

Best regards

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #3,591 of 3,639
Thanks for answering, but it's not that hard to simulate.

Just connect the BTR15 via BT with any device.
Put some IEM's or HP on and leave them there. Play some music.
Put the BTR15 in low gain while listening. It lowers the volume as it should.
Listen for a short while and turn the BTR15 off
Turn it back on
and you should hear immediately the volume is back on high gain.
Go to the Menu/Gain mode and it will show Low gain, but it isn't.
You have to toggle to high gain and back to low gain to affect the setting.

On my device it does this every time. Yesterday and this morning after reading your answer, I could simulate this again 5 times!

Regards and thanks for reading.
For what it’s worth I’ve tried to simulate this on my BTR15 and it doesn’t happen to me, much like it isn’t happening for the Fiio engineer. I’ve tried many times. It definitely remains in low gain on my particular device. (I’m using a google pixel 7 running Apple Music app as source with codec LDAC, BTR15 is v3.5. I’m listening with truthear nova connected via 4.4 with nicehck black cat cable. In fiio control app 3.21 I have dual dac mode off, eq off, volume limiting set at 60, I have second and third harmonic compensation on with each set to 3. Eq on device is off, filter I have set to fast.) Hopefully you can find a solution, have you tried resetting the BTR15?

Mar 29, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #3,592 of 3,639
For what it’s worth I’ve tried to simulate this on my BTR15 and it doesn’t happen to me, much like it isn’t happening for the Fiio engineer. I’ve tried many times. It definitely remains in low gain on my particular device. (I’m using a google pixel 7 running Apple Music app as source with codec LDAC, BTR15 is v3.5. I’m listening with truthear nova connected via 4.4 with nicehck black cat cable. In fiio control app 3.21 I have dual dac mode off, eq off, volume limiting set at 60, I have second and third harmonic compensation on with each set to 3. Eq on device is off, filter I have set to fast.) Hopefully you can find a solution, have you tried resetting the BTR15?

It happens to me as well all the time. using the 4.4mm output, nicehck silver something something cable, shure aonic 4.

1. set from `H` to `L` and hear the level difference
2. power off
3. power back on
4. it shows `L` but it's loud.
5. switch from `L` to `H`, no level difference
6. set back to `L`, and hear the difference.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #3,593 of 3,639
I did reset my BTR15 a couple days ago, the gain bug persists. Grasping at straws, I switched filters (I keep mine with the hybrid filter), rebooted, bug still there. I switched dual DAC to off, rebooted, bug there. I keep EQ off, vol limit at 60. I don't use harmonic compensations, but switched them on to 3, rebooted, bug still there. I tried both 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs, bug still there. I also tried different BT codecs, bug still there. Not sure what else to try at this point.

I wonder if this affects a certain batch or batches of BTR15? I purchased mine less than a month ago, but I don't see any serial number on the device itself, the menus, or the control app.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:31 PM Post #3,594 of 3,639
I did reset my BTR15 a couple days ago, the gain bug persists. Grasping at straws, I switched filters (I keep mine with the hybrid filter), rebooted, bug still there. I switched dual DAC to off, rebooted, bug there. I keep EQ off, vol limit at 60. I don't use harmonic compensations, but switched them on to 3, rebooted, bug still there. I tried both 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs, bug still there. I also tried different BT codecs, bug still there. Not sure what else to try at this point.

I wonder if this affects a certain batch or batches of BTR15? I purchased mine less than a month ago, but I don't see any serial number on the device itself, the menus, or the control app.

Could you please try resetting the BTR15 using the Fiio App?

1. Open the Fiio App and select your BTR15.
2. Click on the settings option in the top right corner.
3. Choose “restore to default settings.”

Then you can set low gain from the device itself.
I tried this about an hour ago, and the problem seems to be fixed (at least for now).

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #3,595 of 3,639
Could you please try resetting the BTR15 using the Fiio App?

1. Open the Fiio App and select your BTR15.
2. Click on the settings option in the top right corner.
3. Choose “restore to default settings.”

Then you can set low gain from the device itself.
I tried this about an hour ago, and the problem seems to be fixed (at least for now).
Ok, that's one straw I hadn't tried to grasp. I just tried, and it did work, but only through the first power off/on cycle. I just rebooted the device again, bug appeared just as before.

Mar 29, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #3,596 of 3,639
Ok, that's one straw I hadn't tried to grasp. I just tried, and it did work, but only through the first power off/on cycle. I just rebooted the device again, bug appeared just as before.
For me, it is still working as intended after multiple reboots.

Have you updated your BTR15 to the latest firmware?

I’m asking to understand why it worked for me but not for you. Perhaps the problem can be resolved after all.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #3,598 of 3,639
Yes, latest firmware, v3.5 and XMOS v125. Fiio Control app also latest, v3.21.
Do you use your BTR15 in bluetooth or via USB connected to your PC? For me it's the latter, maybe that's the difference.

For reference, after resetting the device my settings are these:
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-30 at 04.06.14_db6c25ca.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-30 at 04.06.14_bef4bb01.jpg

Perhaps set the same settings as mine (you can ignore the volume) and try resetting the BTR15 again from the app.

Like you, I tried grasping at every possible straw, and this one seems to be the only one that worked somehow (for the time being). Give it another try.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #3,599 of 3,639
I only use my BTR15 over BT. I read several pages behind that the bug was first reported over USB (can't recall if it was you or someone else) but my device has the bug over BT. I just tried another reset via the control app, bug went away when the device rebooted, but reappeared after another power off/on cycle.

I made a short video showing the bug. Setup is with the BTR15 connected via 3.5mm cable to speakers, and receiving music from my phone via BT with LDAC codec. I'm new to uploading files here, and just noticed I have to zip the video first because mp4 files are not allowed. I played Judas Priest's Turbo Lover (regardless of what metal purists say, it's one of my favorites) and the bug is clearly seen and heard: upon powering on, the screen shows gain at "L". Once I enter the gain menu and switch to "H" there is no change in the perceived volume, meaning after powering on the device it changed gain to high even if the screen shows "L". Then, as soon as I change gain to "L" there is a very noticeable drop in the volume, meaning only now the gain is actually low. From then on, the display and actual gain remain synced until the next power off/on cycle.

I sincerely hope someone from Fiio watches the video and reads this. It's quite simple to reproduce this bug, and it happens to a lot of users. It's already been reported on Fiio's own forum, but there's no response there yet.

Attachments

• BTR15 Gain bug.zip
    9.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #3,600 of 3,639
Do you use your BTR15 in bluetooth or via USB connected to your PC? For me it's the latter, maybe that's the difference.

For reference, after resetting the device my settings are these:
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-30 at 04.06.14_db6c25ca.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-30 at 04.06.14_bef4bb01.jpg

Perhaps set the same settings as mine (you can ignore the volume) and try resetting the BTR15 again from the app.

Like you, I tried grasping at every possible straw, and this one seems to be the only one that worked somehow (for the time being). Give it another try.
Forgot to say, my settings are the same as yours, and I also tried changing some before, but that didn't help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back