[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #3,571 of 3,639
There must be a difference even with my Xelento, because today I got back to my Antelope Audio Zen Go, did another A/B with BTR15 and I was wrong from first impression, Zen GO sounds miles better in every aspect. Treble has much superior definition and extension and soundstage/imaging are on another level. There's no more confusion about this. Just if I could have that experience on the go :S

I think I'm going to order Antelope Audio ZEO mini DAC, for the sake of comparison. But I'm still divided between BTR7 and ZEO. Since ZEO is powered with the same 64bit Acoustically Focused Clocking and 130db dynamic range DAC as Zen GO, I have a feeling it can sound better even unbalanced (big mistake though). But I think BTR7 amp is superior, so not sure.

Anyways BTR15 sounds excellent, it has impressed me imenselly and worked great even for music production.

There's no need to have the best there is when you're so satisfied with the experience, but todays second comparison with Zen GO left me depressed. lol
Hi, it's not about looking for perfection, it's about being able to enjoy music with a level of quality above the basic standards reaching unthinkable levels. And in this case, the btr7, is an exceptional and competitive product for its price range, although it is obviously not perfect (because of the software bugs that are still there and the poor support). It is a versatile device and far surpasses the btr15 but is more home oriented as multimedia, desktop and cinema. The btr15 is designed for portability on the go and enjoying music carefree. For the price it is the best you can find. Greetings!

Mar 22, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #3,572 of 3,639
Dear friend,

Yes, I have reported to them a few time. But we are sorry that we still fails to reproduce. The engineer told me that they will try to do more test first.
We apologize for any inconvenience in the meantime!

Best regards
Thanks for answering, but it's not that hard to simulate.

Just connect the BTR15 via BT with any device.
Put some IEM's or HP on and leave them there. Play some music.
Put the BTR15 in low gain while listening. It lowers the volume as it should.
Listen for a short while and turn the BTR15 off
Turn it back on
and you should hear immediately the volume is back on high gain.
Go to the Menu/Gain mode and it will show Low gain, but it isn't.
You have to toggle to high gain and back to low gain to affect the setting.

On my device it does this every time. Yesterday and this morning after reading your answer, I could simulate this again 5 times!

Regards and thanks for reading.

Mar 22, 2024 at 5:53 AM Post #3,573 of 3,639

Turn it back on

On my device it does this every time. Yesterday and this morning after reading your answer, I could simulate this again 5 times!

As it is, friend. I have exactly the same problem as you. In fact it happens to all of us who want low gain, as has been shown here with several users who have reported it. Of course, those who have it with high gain are not affected and ignore the problem. Greetings!

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #3,574 of 3,639
Does any of you guys have issues with EQ apps (clicking, popping - simply doesn't work) when using third party EQ apps, with BTR15 wired (no BT)?? I just would like to use a virtualizer on the go as I loved the effect when I was using Bluetooth and haven't found one that works with the BTR15 wired. Initially I thought my cable was broken. Uninstalled the app, everything came back to normal. Tried a few. But I miss that effect, was really good expanding the soundstage in a non offensive manner.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #3,576 of 3,639

Turn it back on

can relate. this happens with mine too

somthing else i observed is regarding the distortion compensation in the app. when ever i change a setting in the app i get a processing circle for 1 second when the changed settings are send to the BTR15 from the phone. but when i change anything in the distortion compensation, nothing happens. so i guess, these settings arent transmitted to the btr15 at all. maybe Fiio could check this.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #3,577 of 3,639

Turn it back on

Hi, new member here, but longtime lurker.

I hadn't noticed that issue with the BTR15, but once I read through this post, it became very easy to replicate. My BTR15 has the exact same behavior. I guess I hadn't noticed because I've always kept mi DACs in low gain, so I thought the BTR15 was in low gain as the display said. However, rebooting then changing gain to high then low produced the same behavior as described above. Since noticing this, I'm keeping my BTR15 on high gain, which is in fact what it's been always using anyway. Not a big deal with my choice of IEM (Fiio FH5s), but still I hope this issue gets addressed in a future firmware update.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #3,578 of 3,639
My experience with dSONIQ Realphones 2 (Windows) & BTR15 for music listening

It's BR15 on steroids. Professional sound sculpting. If you like an holographic imaging, sounds coming from the back of your head, an even wider soundstage, a tad more micro-detail, perception of acoustic reflections and reverberations, while keeping the sound natural and more refined, with an airier treble and clearer, lively vocals, then you got to try Realphones. Vocals sound so good, I was not accostumed to something this realistic from affordable DACs. I use Realphones 2 professionaly as a VST, but never tried it for music listening. I'm glad I did. It installs a standalone application on Windows, it's not just a VST for using in your DAW.

The experience in Studio 21 (one of world's best studios) was incredible. These are emulations used by professionals for music production, so you can count with very accurate representations of the real studios and other environments, like luxury cars, audiophile rooms, etc. For music listening there's nothing that comes close to this. The sound improvements are really worthwhile and easily perceptible and you have several, very effective options to sculpt your own sound. Like a music producer does. It takes BTR15 to new heights. Realphones 2 gives life to instruments that not stand out. This has made me take my Windows tablet on the go for listening to music, rather than the smartphone. There's no comparison. This is an experience no Android app will ever give you. Forget virtualizers and stuff like that, this is other level. Try it on Windows and thank me later.

Link: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/95-Referencing-Tools/11809-Realphones-2-Ultimate?refSrc=11807&nosto=productpage-nosto-1-higher

Attachments

• Studio21A-New-1-ControlRoom-A-800x533.jpg
    Studio21A-New-1-ControlRoom-A-800x533.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 0
  • realphones.jpg
    realphones.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #3,579 of 3,639
Hi, have you noticed that the parametric EQ on the BTR15 works horribly wrong?. I've always used the Poweramp Equalizer app since I had the BTR5 2021 and today I test the BTR15's own equalizer and I was horrified. Regards.

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #3,580 of 3,639
Hi, have you noticed that the parametric EQ on the BTR15 works horribly wrong?. I've always used the Poweramp Equalizer app since I had the BTR5 2021 and today I test the BTR15's own equalizer and I was horrified. Regards.
That is not my experience.
I only use EQ on 1 headphone that I know realy well.
Foobar with Peace/APO EQ on PC and PEQ on BTR15 sounds the same to me.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #3,581 of 3,639
I've tried that just for the sake of curiosity and what I noticed was a lower volume and 0 improvement on the sound. Sounds much better without EQ.

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #3,582 of 3,639
I've tried that just for the sake of curiosity and what I noticed was a lower volume and 0 improvement on the sound. Sounds much better without EQ.
It's true what you say, but the volume is set correctly if you press the customX(1, 2,3) key again. It's a horrible mistake. But, what I mean is the equalizer functionality, it crashes too much and doesn't work properly. When you go into the advanced options the interface shrinks and sometimes there is no way to properly set the Q factor further down. And everything is incredibly slow, the fiio control app does not meet the expectations of the advanced and demanding user. It is very poor software and should be redesigned again in my opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #3,584 of 3,639
It's true what you say, but the volume is set correctly if you press the customX(1, 2,3) key again. It's a horrible mistake. But, what I mean is the equalizer functionality, it crashes too much and doesn't work properly. When you go into the advanced options the interface shrinks and sometimes there is no way to properly set the Q factor further down. And everything is incredibly slow, the fiio control app does not meet the expectations of the advanced and demanding user. It is very poor software and should be redesigned again in my opinion.
I've noticed that too. But since I don't use EQ, I let it go. Should be redesigned though.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #3,585 of 3,639
Just updated my BTR15 to 3.5 firmware and having problems with EQ in wired phone mode.

EQ seems to work ok in bluetooth mode but turning on the EQ via app in wired phone mode cuts the sound. Is it something to do with the new bypass eq mode that doesn't seem to be in the mobile app yet?

App version is: iOS 1.2.9

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back