[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2024 at 2:45 AM Post #3,541 of 3,686
That's why it's also headphone dependent. Xelento has huge soundstage width and depth, a little loss of depth wouldn't be noticeable, I think. Even though I don't think these filters deal with soundstage perception. But if you notice it it's because it is causing that effect on your equipment. Here it's not perceptible. It's more about sharper or smoother, just to simplify. But it's interesting to know that.
dont worry, beeing in the headphone game for almost 20 yrs hunting soundstage i own enough capable headphones and know the factors of soundstage:beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #3,542 of 3,686
If I had to add something to my previous statement, I would say Hybrid give me the impression of a more analogue tipe of sound, while Fast seems more leaning to Hi-Fi.

Regarding the soundstage: maybe the fact that Hybrid Filter is smoother, and this resulting in the "outlines" of music to be a touch vaguer and less defined, can contribuite to giving me the impression that the soundstage is somehow wider? 🤔
That was exactly what I thought and was about to write that on my post :wink:

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #3,544 of 3,686
If you guys want to try a sofware, that is also a VST for mixing (music production), that emulates Million dollar Studios and several other environments (luxury cars, audiophile rooms, Discos, etc), dealing with things like psychoacoustics, you can change warmth, density, tone, presence and more, that works exceptionally well for music listening, try Realphones System Wide. Real fun guaranteed :D and if you choose wisely, you'll get better clarity and detail retrieval, as well as manipulating soundstage and imaging. It can really help improving your listening experience, without sounding artificial.

Another great thing that I love for Windows is Fidelizer PRO. It will stop unnecessary Windows processes and optimize the ones that will purify the sound. The result is really good. It's a "purifier" in essence and it's well worth the price. This has helped me in music production as I have a better perception of what instruments and sounds I'm working with. Helps in texture and resolution. These are tools you'll love unlike EQ. lol.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #3,545 of 3,686
I know this thread is super old... hoping to get a quick answer....

Does the BTR15 work in this way... I would like to plug it into the computer as DAC, and have it transmit to my aptx adaptive headphones. Does that work? And does it ALSO have the option to RECEIVE aptx adaptive codec?

I'm worried it only receives aptx adaptive and won't transmit it when plugged into a computer.

Scenario being capturing audio from a computer and transmitting it to aptx adaptive headphones. And also capturing a bluetooth signal from an aptx adaptive transmitter and plugging in wired headphones.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #3,546 of 3,686

Does the BTR15 work in this way... I would like to plug it into the computer as DAC, and have it transmit to my aptx adaptive headphones. Does that work? And does it ALSO have the option to RECEIVE aptx adaptive codec?

I'm worried it only receives aptx adaptive and won't transmit it when plugged into a computer.

Scenario being capturing audio from a computer and transmitting it to aptx adaptive headphones. And also capturing a bluetooth signal from an aptx adaptive transmitter and plugging in wired headphones.
It does not transmit signal.

Mar 18, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #3,547 of 3,686
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #3,548 of 3,686

Dear friend,

The BTR15 does not support Bluetooth transmitting function.
You could consider our BTA30Pro. But the BTA30Pro supports SBC/aptX/aptX HD/aptX LL/LDAC in BT TX mode.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 20, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #3,549 of 3,686
Got my balanced cable and it brought a new dimension to the BTR15. Just as a test, passed all day producing a song with it as an audio interface in Ableton Live using ASIO4ALL V2 codec. Several VST were used, 10+ audio tracks (MIDI and WAV.). It has passed the test with flying colours, even during sound design on Spire 2 and Falcon. Once again Beyerdynamic Xelento proved that can replace a very good studio monitor when callibrated with Sonarworks SoundID Reference, at least at this stage of the production process. The piano sounds excellent through BTR15, with a reealistic timbre and exceptional clarity. I'm using the best that is, from Easr West, as I want a piano that sounds as real as possible. With an average audio interface, you don't get the most out of it, the reason why I want high-end sound quality from the interface. Percussion instruments sound real, with good texture, the sound is organic and smooth as I'm accostumed to from AntelopeAudio Zen GO. Great experience that validates the use of BTR15 in situations like these, where you don't need I/O, Mic and Studio Monitors.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #3,550 of 3,686
Hi!
In my opinion, the btr15 is a very good product for the price, almost unbeatable. It has a powerful, dynamic, warm, clean, detailed and punchy sound that vastly improves on its predecessor the BTR5 2021. But I also have to admit that it is not better than the btr7. The btr7 has a high-quality and exquisitely delicate sound that proves the price is worth more than the btr15. But the btr7 also has flaws and could be better if it weren't for its poor software and poor support. Regarding the sound filter issue (fast or hybrid) I have to say that they have different approaches depending on the headphones or speakers you use. In my case I always use fast with dynamic driver headphones (the traditional ones of a lifetime) and hybrid when I use another type of headphones, be it balanced armatures or magnetic planar etc etc...
Greetings for all!

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #3,551 of 3,686
Hi!
In my opinion, the btr15 is a very good product for the price, almost unbeatable. It has a powerful, dynamic, warm, clean, detailed and punchy sound that vastly improves on its predecessor the BTR5 2021. But I also have to admit that it is not better than the btr7. The btr7 has a high-quality and exquisitely delicate sound that proves the price is worth more than the btr15. But the btr7 also has flaws and could be better if it weren't for its poor software and poor support. Regarding the sound filter issue (fast or hybrid) I have to say that they have different approaches depending on the headphones or speakers you use. In my case I always use fast with dynamic driver headphones (the traditional ones of a lifetime) and hybrid when I use another type of headphones, be it balanced armatures or magnetic planar etc etc...
Greetings for all!
Hi XaFFi,

But don't they sound the same with IEMs? BTR15 and BTR7? I was told that. That you would just notice the difference with full-size headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #3,552 of 3,686
Hi XaFFi,

But don't they sound the same with IEMs? BTR15 and BTR7? I was told that. That you would just notice the difference with full-size headphones.
In my case they don't sound the same. I have FH9 IEMS and they sound better with the btr7 than the btr15. I don't know how to say it but the btr7 is a kind of sonic ecstasy with the IEMS I have. But this is my personal experience which may not be the same for another audiophile user. Everyone has a different perception of music.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #3,554 of 3,686
In my case they don't sound the same. I have FH9 IEMS and they sound better with the btr7 than the btr15. I don't know how to say it but the btr7 is a kind of sonic ecstasy with the IEMS I have. But this is my personal experience which may not be the same for another audiophile user. Everyone has a different perception of music.
Ok, that's why I also read that they work better with multi-BA IEMSs than they do with dynamic drivers. I don't know how would BTR7 work on Tesla.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #3,555 of 3,686
Hi!
Greetings for all!
I agree with you on the filters. I did further testing, and the increase in soundstage and overall pleasantness that I was talking about is way more prominent on my planar IEMs compared to my DD IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back