Originally Posted by jm50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news, sounds like you will finally get your hands on the E5
beerchug.gif

I already got sourced two E5 while waiting, Mp4Nation's will make the third
tongue.gif

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #797 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have big problems with static and pops. I've measured it and (if I've measured correctly), the DC it puts out when I plug in headphones into it or when I plug it into the portable player with headphones already plugged in is not healthy for the headphones.

My comments should be somewhere in the beginning/middle of the thread. Since the pops started appearing, I've stopped using it. I have no idea why this is happening. The highest DC spike I've measured from it was over 1V DC, and that is not very healthy (or correct me someone).

Has anyone else experienced feedback and distortion problems with their fiio amp?

I have been searching the web to see if other customers had problems, which lead me here and some older posts...

I recently purchased an E5 unit (used with a Nano 4G/Sennheiser PCX 450) and had been very happy with it until I started having problems with heavy distortion, pops and bangs in the sound signal - to the point it becomes unlistenable. It's a very strange problem, which starts when the E5 is connected and seems to be due to the minijack, either it moving...or something else! If I connect my headphones directly to the Nano the problem persists, but if I then turn everything off for a period of time (as in 10 minutes +) the sound goes back to normal.

That makes me wonder whether the jack is the problem or whether the E5 somehow passes some kind of signal or distortion back into the Nano? Is that possible? I have noticed that the E5 is not very well shielded, so perhaps some feedback is being passed 'backwards' as part of the amplification process?

I wonder if I should plump for a (more expensive) ibasso?

Jan 12, 2009 at 11:44 AM Post #800 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by ollyspalding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else experienced feedback and distortion problems with their fiio amp?

I have been searching the web to see if other customers had problems, which lead me here and some older posts...

I recently purchased an E5 unit (used with a Nano 4G/Sennheiser PCX 450) and had been very happy with it until I started having problems with heavy distortion, pops and bangs in the sound signal - to the point it becomes unlistenable. It's a very strange problem, which starts when the E5 is connected and seems to be due to the minijack, either it moving...or something else! If I connect my headphones directly to the Nano the problem persists, but if I then turn everything off for a period of time (as in 10 minutes +) the sound goes back to normal.

That makes me wonder whether the jack is the problem or whether the E5 somehow passes some kind of signal or distortion back into the Nano? Is that possible? I have noticed that the E5 is not very well shielded, so perhaps some feedback is being passed 'backwards' as part of the amplification process?

Does it pop while you play music or only when you plug and unplug anything in your chain? My fiio does not distort while playing, it only pops when I plug/unplug anything.

It could just be the battery that is low (but you have probably tried to charge it).

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #802 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyl930 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried the Fiio with Grado SR-80s?

Fiio E3 can drive my MS-1 and RS-1 but it's less detailed and the soundstage is smaller than a fresh out of the box iBasso T4 or a Travagans Colors.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #803 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by ollyspalding /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definitely have this problem as well. From a Sansa Clip -> Fiio E5 -> KSC75, i notice there is the feintest echo/reverb/distortion what have you occuring, which is very distracting. This happens actually sporadically, so it might be an mechanical issue.

My advice to you is try playing with the volumes of your source and the amp and see if you can minimize the problem.

IMO committing to Fiio E5 will most likely set a course for you to purchase something of higher quality, and eventually something of even greater quality. FiiO E5 is a GOOD start especially for its price.

If you do go with iBasso, check out the For Sale forum, you'll get a good price for some very decent iBasso amps. Or you might consider going the CMOY or PA2V2 route, which I'm currently doing (PA2v2)

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #804 of 877
anyone know of a product (fiberglass/liquid plastic) or something, that i could encapsulate this amp in, to make it basically indistructable?
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's some higher resolution photos of the innards:

P8190385-800.jpg

P8190386-800.jpg

P8190388-800.jpg

Jan 28, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #805 of 877
I would just like the echo the problems others are having with the distortion on the E5. It is very clear and not faint at all when plugged into a USB port to charge, however it can be quite random. Sometimes when I am first charging it it will make loud crackling noises then drown out, providing a mellow "hum" in the background.

Either way, I have yet to experience this problem plugged in.

I wish there was a better amp for not much more usd I could leave plugged in all the time but this will have to do for now.

Feb 1, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #808 of 877
E5

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #809 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by rehban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just like the echo the problems others are having with the distortion on the E5. It is very clear and not faint at all when plugged into a USB port to charge, however it can be quite random. Sometimes when I am first charging it it will make loud crackling noises then drown out, providing a mellow "hum" in the background.

Either way, I have yet to experience this problem plugged in.

I wish there was a better amp for not much more usd I could leave plugged in all the time but this will have to do for now.

why do you want it plugged in all time? seems silly as that is what the battery is for so you don't need it plugged in all the time.

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #810 of 877
Does the e5 work well if you mostly listen to classical music ?

Or would a bsg cmoy be better for that ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back