Fiio amps?
Oct 30, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #736 of 877
I just got my Fiio in the mail today. Here are some initial impressions using it with my 1stgen iPod shuffle and Koss KSC75.

Basically this fiio E3 makes my KSC75 sing the way it should from the shuffle.
Unlike my J33 marshmallows, the KSC75 is not very efficient and therefore the shuffle has trouble pushing the sound through the KSC75, especially down low. The fiio E3 is legitimately a worthy portable amp to make sound warmer and bassier. I believe extending the battery life of my shuffle is in itself a good investment; not to mention the free or included mini to mini headphone plug.

I know... I'm preaching to the choir.

Regards.

Oct 30, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #737 of 877
I added my Sony MDR-W08 for a listen on the fiio with the iPOD shuffle.
And I suspect the low impedance of this Sony is bringing out the slight hissing sound when the shuffle is on pause. But when the shuffle plays the sound is much improved and makes this headphone tolerable. The hissing goes away or disappears when the music plays. Without fiio, Sony MDR-W08 really sounds piercing to the ear.

Oct 30, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #740 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enhanced_Interrogator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody else for get to unplug the headphones every other time they use this thing? (at least I'm using rechargeable AAA's)

Happens to me about one-third of the time. I invested in some Samsung rechargables, the ones that hold their charge when not in use. I got the smallest package, two AAAs and 4 AAs.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #741 of 877
Wasn't aware of the unplugging the headphones to maintain the charge situation! Will make sure I do so when my E3 arrives.

It's quite impressive that FiiO make a product that gets such rave reviews and only charges the amount they do. I got one from eBay for $9 delivered from China to the UK. Absolute madness, £6. They must be selling a hell of a lot of them!

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #742 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by akki007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wasn't aware of the unplugging the headphones to maintain the charge situation! Will make sure I do so when my E3 arrives.

It's quite impressive that FiiO make a product that gets such rave reviews and only charges the amount they do. I got one from eBay for $9 delivered from China to the UK. Absolute madness, £6. They must be selling a hell of a lot of them!

I feel like the Fiio is like a portable amp for the general consumer, as opposed to audiophiles willing to spend hundreds
smily_headphones1.gif
. Apparently, though, it still works quite well and sounds wonderful for the price!

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #743 of 877
Just experimented with a FiiO (I have three) and my iPod Touch (16GB). At first, using the Image X10s, adding the FiiO caused the bass (the X10s are bass monsters) to overwhelm the overall sound. I tried something different, I turned on the acoustic EQ setting on the Touch on a hunch, and wow. The sound is crisp, detailed mids/highs, and the bass slam is dead on, not a bit muddy or bloated. The combo of the added bass punch from the FiiO and the clarity from the EQ change really synergized nicely with the Klipsch phones. Not quite on the same level as the LOD I have for the Touch with the MiniboxE+ amp, but for $8.50, amazing. Pairing an $8.50 amp with $350 IEMs (MSRP, I paid $190) seems odd indeed, but it just works somehow.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #744 of 877
Got my FiiO amp today.

Bought from DealExtreme. They were very fast in shipping and processing the order. It was ordered from China on the 25th of October and arrived on the 31st in Norway.

The amp though sounds terrible with my Shure SE210s and iPhone. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with it, but if this is how it's supposed to sound I don't get what the rave is all about. Either way. I won't be using my amp any time soon - except may to disassemble and take a look inside.

Edit: Listening to it again, I'm wondering if it could be a defective product. Everything except the mids (guitar and snare drum) are barely audible while the mids are boosted in volume.
2nd edit: Just ordered a second one in hopes that the first one was defective. If it is, hopefully dealextreme will take it back. Ordering a second one when you're unhappy with the first one goes against all logic, but at these prices it's worth testing
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #745 of 877
I would say you got a defective unit.

Anyway, if you feel like something is wrong call dealextreme, their support is extremely good. My first E3 was bad, it had bad contacts on the jacks, so I contacted them, they sent me a free replacement (they asked me to keep the first and to do whatever I wanted with it).

Edit: E3 usually shines (on its cheapo way of shining) on higher impedance headphones. If you have a handy ksc75 or sr80 or sennheiser cans I advise you to test.

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #747 of 877
Got my FiiO today. Decided to try this 'amp' while making a study on which proper amp to get.

First impression : increase soundstage and add bass to my Grado SR-60.

If a $3 amp can sound this good, I wonder how a $300 amp will sound
smily_headphones1.gif
~

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #748 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by natogandalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question, will an amp like this have any effect on my setup? I'm using Etymotic ER6i with a Sony NWZ-A828

Sure, why not? The E3 can definitely gives you more bass, and maybe a bit more soundstage.

Nov 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #749 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, why not? The E3 can definitely gives you more bass, and maybe a bit more soundstage.

X2. A little more soundstage and separation
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back