Fiio amps?
May 30, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #46 of 877
Got my today also. I will let it burn for a while before I give any impressions. It doesn't look like it has any big caps that need to burn in though.

EDIT: Can't help myself, will leave some short impressions anyway.

The fiio is (at least before burn in, but I do not believe that burn in will change much) not completely neutral. As other have stated, it definitely gives the sound more body. I especially belive that it has a bumb in the lower midrange as well in the bass. This makes it add just a bit of warmth to the sound.

May 31, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #48 of 877
wow, these amps look pretty nifty!

So any conclusions on the sound quality? i might get one just for the sake of having one!

May 31, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #49 of 877
also just realised on the website it's:

Designed for high impendence and low sensitivity headphones, with bass boost function

which would explain how it may not sound neutral and its ability to drive (to some extent) those bigger cans.

Jun 1, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #50 of 877
Wow... at this price... I might actually buy one just to see how small it actually is
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #51 of 877
The opamp may be one of these, or a knockoff.

One thing I've noticed about my FiiO -- you know how if you leave a cell phone near a TV or something, it can periodically make a bunch of staticky noise come from the TV? If I carry my FiiO in the same pocket as my cell phone, this happens from time to time.

John

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #52 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The opamp may be one of these, or a knockoff.

One thing I've noticed about my FiiO -- you know how if you leave a cell phone near a TV or something, it can periodically make a bunch of staticky noise come from the TV? If I carry my FiiO in the same pocket as my cell phone, this happens from time to time.

John

a lot of amps do that...

Jun 3, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #54 of 877
I would not say that the Fiio is an upgrade when used with the D2 and Koss KSC75. It does add a little bit off bass, but I didn't find the added bass very tight. It also does seem to roll of the hights a bit.

So, if the portable player is strong, and the headphones are not too hard to drive, the Fiio will not improve the sound.

Jun 15, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #55 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarinthegourd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. Volume with the 4s cable + FiiO amp is almost identical to unamped 4p cable, but sound quality is much better
  1. With the 4s cable, the amp adds volume equivalent to about 8 clicks on the A818 volume meter -- in other words, level 22 with the amp is about equivalent in volume to level 30 without the amp

confused.gif

does it add volume now or not? first you say that it's almost identical to unamped, then you state that it adds volume. confusing!
what if my onboard sound card has a weak output, will the amp add volume or not?

Jun 15, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #56 of 877
The cable adds resistance. It does not add volume, it will decrease it with the resistance.

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #58 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not say that the Fiio is an upgrade when used with the D2 and Koss KSC75. It does add a little bit off bass, but I didn't find the added bass very tight. It also does seem to roll of the hights a bit.

So, if the portable player is strong, and the headphones are not too hard to drive, the Fiio will not improve the sound.

pairing a cowon D2 with the Fiio and a Mylar XBi, there is a definite improvement in terms of soundstage and warmth... so it depends on your earphones too.

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #60 of 877
Just got it and found it to be quite bassy (warm?). This helps some earphones, like Etys. Fiio surprised me, it has enough power to drive Yuin OK1 and PK1 louder than I want to listen them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back