Fiio amps?
May 20, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #17 of 877
A couple more crap cellphone pics. Here it's velcro'd onto the back of by A818, which is itself in a clear hard case. The white interconnect (which came with the Fiio) is a bit long so it's wrapped around the velcro. The whole package is really small -- I used to tote aroung a 3gen 60GB iPod and an RSA SR-71. This is infinitely more convenient!

2509264594_bc2c606745_o.jpg

2508436095_169e053156_o.jpg

May 20, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 877
I guess the only and biggest set back is there is no volume on it so it cant be used with a LOD. I would have jumped on one if it had one, but now i cant seem much point.

May 20, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 877
I look forward to hearing more comments, I am quite tempted to buy one as my first foray into headphone amps.

How much louder is the sound with the amp? Would it allow the use of 'full sized' headphones on my iPod (if I buy at a later date?)

I currently use some JVC Marshmallows, would the amp be beneficial for use?

The fact that it doesn't have a volume control means I would still be able to use my iPod remote (connected to my Classic).

Thanks.

May 22, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #20 of 877
OK, I've done a lot more focused listening and here are my conclusions, based on my listening with a Sony NWZ-A818 and Etymotic ER-4Ps (with 4s cable):
  1. Volume with the 4s cable + FiiO amp is almost identical to unamped 4p cable, but sound quality is much better
  1. With the 4s cable, the amp adds volume equivalent to about 8 clicks on the A818 volume meter -- in other words, level 22 with the amp is about equivalent in volume to level 30 without the amp
  1. Comparing equivalent volume levels with and without the amp, I prefer the sound with the amp. Hard to pinpoint what exactly I like better, but it's subjectively better. Soundstage is a bit wider, overall sound seems a bit more precise and open. Bass is boosted a bit, but it's not overwhelming and bass is still tight.

Overall, even without the volume boost it gives me for high-impedence phones, I prefer the sound with the amp. Given the price, size and sound quality I'd say this is a no-brainer. If you need a volume control or power switch (power is cut by unplugging headphone jack) look elsewhere. But if you want a tiny, great-sounding amp at an amazing price, I'd highly recommend giving the FiiO a try.

One other side benefit for me: the headphone jack on the Sony is at the bottom, and I'd always kind of wished it were at the top. With the FiiO configured the way I have it, the headphone jack is now at the top.

P.S. I wish there were an apparent easy & reversible way of opening the case to see what's inside, but there doesn't appear to be. The size appears almost identical to Xin SuperMicro and I am wondering if they cloned that amp (without the Xin's volume control).

May 22, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #22 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickyboyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just bought one of these from ebay, 1 British penny and 5.99 delivery, Au$ 12.47 all up. For that price its worth getting just to take apart and have a look inside
wink.gif

Haha after reading your post I impulse copied you!! Imagine is this is a Supermicro 4/11 copy
wink.gif
. Lol I can dream.

May 23, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #24 of 877
I have also just purchased one for 1p (+ £5.99 delivery) on eBay.

May 24, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #25 of 877
Was impossible to resist. I'm hoping it will enhance my D2
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.D.N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess the only and biggest set back is there is no volume on it so it cant be used with a LOD. I would have jumped on one if it had one, but now i cant seem much point.

It's perfect for the Cowon D2
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #26 of 877
Ordered one as well. I am hoping it will allow me to travel with my IM716 without going through the hassle of removing the pod. The IM716 pod does have a volume control, so the lack of one on the amp itself should not be a problem.

I'll report my impressions as soon as I get mine in.

May 27, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #28 of 877
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha after reading your post I impulse copied you!! Imagine is this is a Supermicro 4/11 copy
wink.gif
. Lol I can dream.

For around $12USD delivered, I purchased it so that I can dream of owning a Xin SuperMicro clone and a Xin Reference.

Explorer

PS SuperMicro clone or not, it looks like this might be delivered before my Xin Reference amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #30 of 877
I got mine today (that was some fast shipping from Hong Kong! ), and I am not disappointed. The sound quality is as good as my uamp107. The sound signature, however, is different - the bass is more emphasized (which is not a bad thing when paired with the IM716). It is a huge improvement over the standard HP jack on my ZVM.

The amp is small (2.17" X .9" X .58"). I saw many pictures of it, and I was still surprised when I took it out of the box.

For what I paid for it ($13) well worth the "investment". It's definitely a winner in the SQ/$ category.

edit: dang! it's even driving my vintage K240's (600 ohms)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back