FIIO 2024 New Product Schedule-From FIIO James
Jan 22, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #16 of 177
@FiiO personally regarding your DAP in particular reference to M11 Plus it would be nice if in the next model you could improve the quality of the screen, perhaps even an OLED screen. The current M11 Plus screen is just not bright enough in my opinion. This alone would encourage me to upgrade my current M11 Plus.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 1:41 AM Post #18 of 177
I forgot it’s just a BT receiver. I really want a USB aptX Lossless transmitter that’s small.
Yes, this! a dongle form factor transmitter capable of sending AptX Lossless and LDAC would be a must purchase for me.

(3) Portable Music Player

First, let's talk about FIIO's perspective on the portable music player industry.

It is undeniable that after a decade of rapid development, the relevant technology of portable players has matured, including configuration, performance, specifications, etc. For example, support for sampling rates beyond 384K/32B and DSD256 may not be significant for audiophiles. Truly native recordings with such high specifications are rare (some ultra-high specifications found online are likely artificially upsampled). Considering the availability of high-quality lossless audio sources from legitimate channels like Apple Music, a specification of 192K/24B or DSD128 is sufficient.

In terms of performance, high-end players like the FIIO M17 already utilize two ESS flagship DAC chips. The 8-channel ESS9038PRO DAC commonly used in desktop devices comes with an output power of 3000mW+3000mW and comprehensive interfaces. These devices lack only standard optical and RJ45 network ports.

The only aspect that might be considered insufficient is the main control. However, for an audio player, the M17's 660 processor is powerful enough to handle major streaming apps' operation for the next few years. The operating system will be upgraded to Android 12.0 this year.

Therefore, similar to smartphones, the upgrade cycle for audiophiles has been significantly extended due to the lack of stimulation from new technologies and features.

What is more, low-end players are facing challenges from TWS, USB dongles for mobile phones, and Bluetooth portable DAC/Amps, leading to a noticeable market decline.

Hence, two years ago, FIIO began redirecting research and development resources to expand into other categories, such as desktop streaming all-in-one units like the R7 and R9.

Regarding the future, I personally believe that high-end portable players may eventually get rid of the Android system. The demand for streaming playback may be achieved through other ways, such as transmitting music to the player from a phone via lossless Bluetooth/WiFi. After all, the upper limit for streaming music specifications is 192K/24B. Even if it doesn't reach 192K/24B, achieving 44.1K/16B is sufficient for the majority of audiophiles, and this can be easily achieved with aptX Lossless or NearLink technology.

Here is the launch plan for FIIO's new portable music players in 2024.

1. M27
As FIIO's flagship model at the end of 2021, the M17 has been around for over two years. FIIO plans to replace it with the M27 at the end of 2024. It will continue to be the flagship model in FIIO's portable player product line.

The M17 remains an outstanding player, equipped with powerful desktop mode output and features two flagship DAC chips from ESS, four THX 788+ power amplifiers, complete inputs and outputs of 6.3/4.4/3.5/2.5/coaxial/external power ports/2 Type-C ports, and a currently the highest-performance Qualcomm 660 chip.

It boasts a complete range of standard interfaces. We will continue to enhance the M17 in terms of functionality, performance, and user experience, providing top-notch hardware configuration, and making it an undisputed flagship model among Android intelligent portable music players.

However, it's challenging for the M27 to bring about significant innovations or improvements in appearance design, functionality, and performance, as the M17 did.

So, if you need a flagship player with sufficient performance, powerful output power, complete interfaces, and a satisfying experience, the M17 is enough. Especially when it's on sale, the price is quite competitive.

2. M23
We adjusted our product naming rules last year, so you may not be very clear about the positioning of the M23. This model, positioned between the X7-X7II-M11PRO-M11PLUS-M23, is likely the fifth generation and is a mainstay model in our mid-to-high-end portable player lineup.

We plan to launch the M23 in the spring of 2024. There won't be significant differences in appearance compared to the M11 Plus, but there will be some functional upgrades with an appropriate DAC.

3. M21
The M21 is the successor to the M11S, where the “2” in the model represents an upgrade from the first “1” in the M11, and the second “1” indicates the M21 is an entry-level model in FIIO's Android portable player lineup.

The planned release is also in late 2024, and the differences from the M11S will mainly involve changing the DAC and popularizing some existing features (such as the desktop mode).

So, by the end of the year, FIIO's Android portable player product line will consist of M21-M23-M15S-M27.

As for the pure music player that some users have suggested, based on our current research, there is a significant difference in opinions between domestic and foreign users. Especially for foreign users, since most of their audio sources come from streaming apps like TIDAL, SPOTIFY, and Apple Music, before solving the technical problem of pure music players when playing streaming music, we won't consider making it.
Thank you for the perspective. However I strongly disagree that "high-end portable players may eventually get rid of the Android system" or at least would be highly disappointed if so, since the ability to judiciously run 3rd party software (UAPP, Neutron, file management software and companion apps for TWS headsets) is a HUGE plus.

Jan 23, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #19 of 177
Jan 23, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 177
3. M21
The M21 is the successor to the M11S, where the “2” in the model represents an upgrade from the first “1” in the M11, and the second “1” indicates the M21 is an entry-level model in FIIO's Android portable player lineup.
Way too expensive for an entry level.
Sorry, but you need a more affordable product.

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:08 AM Post #21 of 177
(3) Portable Music Player

1. M27

As FIIO's flagship model at the end of 2021, the M17 has been around for over two years. FIIO plans to replace it with the M27 at the end of 2024. It will continue to be the flagship model in FIIO's portable player product line.

The M17 remains an outstanding player, equipped with powerful desktop mode output and features two flagship DAC chips from ESS, four THX 788+ power amplifiers, complete inputs and outputs of 6.3/4.4/3.5/2.5/coaxial/external power ports/2 Type-C ports, and a currently the highest-performance Qualcomm 660 chip.

It boasts a complete range of standard interfaces. We will continue to enhance the M17 in terms of functionality, performance, and user experience, providing top-notch hardware configuration, and making it an undisputed flagship model among Android intelligent portable music players.

However, it's challenging for the M27 to bring about significant innovations or improvements in appearance design, functionality, and performance, as the M17 did.

So, if you need a flagship player with sufficient performance, powerful output power, complete interfaces, and a satisfying experience, the M17 is enough. Especially when it's on sale, the price is quite competitive.

I'm really happy of the explanation you have given FiiO, and your attitude and principles to not just repeatedly update upper tier gear with nominal changes every year, but after longer periods of time, and standby and support your higher end gear for years before upgrading.

This gives me confidence that, were I to buy your top device, I won't suffer FOMO or buyer's remorse due to frequent incessant upgrade models, because you prefer to offer great products that are to last!

With that in mind, the areas I think improvement and features your new M27 ought to have over the M17 are the following:

- Far greater internal cooling solutions, when using external power, for the M27, without using external accessories.
- Most recent custom Android OS.
- Consideration for dual-DAC mode; user-switchable DAC choice between top 2x ESS and either 2x RoHM or AKM DAC chips as a feature.
- Consideration for using user-switchable amp between 4x THX 788+ and Korg NuTube amplification circuits (plus a hybrid of both).
- 2x MicroSD card slots.
- A true external Master Clock input via a separate dedicated co-axial port.

Not all of these are feasible, and some may not even be doable, but these are some interesting ideas for an end-game DAP with long-life usability and feature set.

I adore my M17, but I would consider trading it in with my chosen audio dealer (where I purchased it from) for the M27 in Q4 of 2024.

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #22 of 177
Will the M23 have an XMOS chip?
I was wondering if it could be used as a USB DAC for gaming.
M23 is probably my sweet spot :)

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #23 of 177
Will the M23 have an XMOS chip?
I was wondering if it could be used as a USB DAC for gaming.
M23 is probably my sweet spot :)
The current FiiO M17 has, according to the official spec sheet, an XMOS XUF208 implementation for USB, and the M17 can be used in USB DAC mode.
Similar XMOS chips exist in FIIO's other next level down flagship and mid-tier DAP's too.

I would be surprised if FiiO did not implement something similar again for the M27.

As for gaming, this depends on the source.
PC Gaming, yes, though unsure on microphone availability.
Console gaming can be nightmarish however (I'm a PS5 and Nintendo Switch owner, so neither will work with microphone in the FiiO M17, though I was aware of this). I guess the FiiO R9 desktop DAC/amp with HDMI Arc could work for certain consoles, but things like the PS5 require extra effort.

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #24 of 177
I want a portable CD transport. Battery powered with high capacity. Coax and optical outputs. Slot loading.
I want to be able to sit it down any where in home, connect to Hugo 2 and enjoy my huge CD collection.

Jan 23, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #26 of 177
“ 2. M23
We adjusted ………. We plan to launch the M23 in the spring of 2024. There won't be significant differences in appearance compared to the M11 Plus, but there will be some functional upgrades with an appropriate DAC “

The above plus the other comments about lack of really significant improvements due to current technology being sufficiently well developed to make further significant advances difficult makes me pleased I recently bought an M11 Plus ESS to accompany my Plus LTD that is getting closer to three years old than two and its battery isn’t going to last forever.

An upgrade to Android 12 and I will be more than happy with the M11 Plus ESS for the foreseeable future. The Plus LTD has served me very well for approaching three years and is a central part of much of my IEM and headphone listening. It continues to do well and gets frequent use but it will be interesting to compare battery life with a reasonably well used DAP versus brand new.

Jan 23, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #28 of 177
When it comes to the problem of streaming dap vs non streaming dap, is it not possible to create a dual boot type system? I’ve seen modded iPod classics before where just by enabling the hold switch it would boot into the standard OS, otherwise it would load the custom modded OS. It would be great if we could launch android, but with a flick of the hold button and restarting the player it would load a much less bloated pure music OS.

Jan 23, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #30 of 177
1706057066833.png
1706057086897.png

Wow.....Fiio is on fire in 2024!
FIIO KA11 and KA17 in da house and man....my 2 first test was to pair Koss Porta Pro with KA11 which was effortlessly driven clean open way, it was a bit surprising since i was use to warm slightly muddy sound with those and now layering was spacious with good imaging transparency and more headroom openess, so i can say they scale up in performance with KA11. as well, KA11 is more powerfull than single ended of Hiby R6pro which it was hooked on and i compare Portapro loudness level...i can go 100% volume with R6pro which equal about 25/30 volume step of KA11.

then, i got excited and try the Deskpop full power mode of KA17 and i was in for another very positive surprise.
I might be wrong sayin 1W is min requirment for Sundara since 650mW seem plenty enough. The bass isnt distort or missing, its controled with well felt mid punch and clean sub bass line layering, openess is wide and deep, not unidimentional or compressed, technical performance seem fully scaled wich is incredible with such a small dongle. tonality is natural and balance, very rich in sound info...i need way more listen...for now its really jsut power output testing and both this dongle kill it!

Fiio is on something. and the price is right, we arent in megalo 2-300$ dongles territory.

tbh, again, KA11 is the true budget dongle game changer of 2024, as for KA17, it is too, in affordable price range, it sure put to shame Questyle M15 and Aune Yuki in term of clean super high amping power...sound wise, i need more time and proper comparisons....but as an owner of KA1-2-3.....let say the surprise is intense here....because i wasnt a fan of any of those 3 yet i am of those new 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back