FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Mar 11, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #1,382 of 3,064
I need to add that if you want to slightly lessen the bass and have a less V shape sound, making it a more neutral IEM that has good punch and controlled bass that you guys try Monster Foam tips. They're $10 for a 6pk in medium shipped if you have AMazon Prime. The mediums will fit anywhere from small/medium fit to large fit so buying in large and small is not needed (which save you money!).

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTips-Replacement-Kits/dp/B003TFEHLG/

Mar 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #1,384 of 3,064
  Anyone aware of replacement cables which include Microphone (and potentially buttons/controls like mute) for phone calls?

El Cheapo, take your A83 to the limit.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=low20101020&hash=item4870a0ce28&item=311127232040&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xshure.TRS0&_nkw=shure&ghostText=&_sacat=0

Mar 11, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,385 of 3,064
  I need to add that if you want to slightly lessen the bass and have a less V shape sound, making it a more neutral IEM that has good punch and controlled bass that you guys try Monster Foam tips. They're $10 for a 6pk in medium shipped if you have AMazon Prime. The mediums will fit anywhere from small/medium fit to large fit so buying in large and small is not needed (which save you money!).

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Foam-SuperTips-Replacement-Kits/dp/B003TFEHLG/

Hm??  I'm confused. :O  I've been under the impression that foam tips add more bass...but no?  Or is there something about the Monster foam tips?  And those foam tips are advertised as more bass (and clarity...but I can't quite figured out how adding more bass adds more clarity, unless they mean bass clarity???).

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #1,386 of 3,064

Hm??  I'm confused. :O  I've been under the impression that foam tips add more bass...but no?  Or is there something about the Monster foam tips?  And those foam tips are advertised as more bass (and clarity...but I can't quite figured out how adding more bass adds more clarity, unless they mean bass clarity???).

In my experience foams have lessened the bass response (in quantity) due to the sound absorbing characteristics of foam. They create amazing seal though so it's understandable how one would think they'd make for more bass. The ad terms there say improved bass response; doesn't necessarily mean more bass, but better controlled bass so there would be more clarity to be heard in the rest of the range.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #1,387 of 3,064
The monster tips are built slightly different than comply "foam" and most foams. If you look closely there's hard silicone (plastic?) from 1/2 the face of the tip all the way inside to where the nozzle will be. What this does is create a hard surface for the sound to reflect off while keeping the foam properties of sealing on the outer half of the face and surroundings of the foam. It doesn't however allow the foam to absorb the sound like they would with Comply, at least not to the extent.

I highly suggest a set for the A83 to experience it.

Quote:

In my experience foams have lessened the bass response (in quantity) due to the sound absorbing characteristics of foam. They create amazing seal though so it's understandable how one would think they'd make for more bass. The ad terms there say improved bass response; doesn't necessarily mean more bass, but better controlled bass so there would be more clarity to be heard in the rest of the range.

Mar 11, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,388 of 3,064
Wow, $230 is a steal.  While my first set had a cable/connector issue, the replacement set has been perfect.  I have rolled a few tips and now have settled on the JVC Spiral Dot medium-large.   They both seal well and love what they do for the sound.   

I got them..now I know what is the fuss about the tips..I always go for deep insertion tips and I am used to it using the FA DBA-02 mkII..the tips provided I think don't provide the seal I want and its kinda shallow I think that is given with this kind of housing..I tried the triple flange of my DBA-02 mkII and looks I will use it for now..I would like to try the recommended tips here..

so far loving what I am hearing :D

Mar 12, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #1,389 of 3,064
Originally Posted by Soundsgoodtome /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The monster tips are built slightly different than comply "foam" and most foams. If you look closely there's hard silicone (plastic?) from 1/2 the face of the tip all the way inside to where the nozzle will be. What this does is create a hard surface for the sound to reflect off while keeping the foam properties of sealing on the outer half of the face and surroundings of the foam. It doesn't however allow the foam to absorb the sound like they would with Comply, at least not to the extent.
I highly suggest a set for the A83 to experience it.

Originally Posted by Midgetguy 

Hmm!  I like what I'm hearing (with regards to explanation)!  I always like better controlled bass these days.  I've been such a huge fan of the rubber tips, but I guess if it means a more enjoyable sound I can learn to live with foams.

I've liked the Comply foam tips so far, but I'll certainly try the monsters and see how they go.  Thanks for the "tips". 
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #1,390 of 3,064
Just got in my A83's after returning the DN-1000 and GR07 BE. Initial impressions in the first few minutes was the feeling of a little less fun due to less bass than the previously mentioned, but this was with stock silicone tips. After several hours and tip testing, the soundstage, mids, and highs, and clean fairly north of neutral bass really impressed.

The highs are fairly high close to sibilant at first, but  are actually really smooth and quite comfortable that its very enjoyable and desirable. The mids are clean and forward. The bass is less deep than DN-1000, but is still north of neutral and very tight and clear, but not punchy. The best part is how all of it actually all comes together with a great soundstage. I just seemed very engrossed into the music not just audibly, but emotionally, if that makes sense. At $279, I'd say this is an upgrade in sound and clarity with a slightly warmer signature from the mids than the DN-1000 while being as "fun", if not more, than the GR07 BE.

Not sure if I would have paid MSRP $350 though, but I've never bought any IEM's this expensive or more expensive, so wouldn't know how they would compare in this price range.

The stock silicone tips seemed ok, but too deep insertion. The Comply T-400 medium I usually use didn't fit too well. Now using the Comply TS-500 medium which fit really well, very comfortable, and doesn't insert deeply. 

I'm 99% sure I'm keeping these A83's, but bringing in the Tenore for a budget one to toss around, and still contemplating testing the Titan as a 2nd toss around. Still trying to figure out this price/performance thing.

Mar 12, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #1,391 of 3,064
The Comply's often bring down the highest highs a bit.  

The A83 is smooth across all frequencies.  That's one of its selling points.  It's well worth the money.  

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #1,392 of 3,064
First post. Long time lurker. I have had the A83 because of this thread for 3 days and am very pleased with it. My small collection consists of Senn Momentum, Shure 1540 and 1840 and now A83 all run with iPhone or iPod Classc through Centrance Hifi M8.
I'll try to add value to the conversation as I'm not an experienced iem guy. Thanks to all in this thread for the helpful information that led to this purchase!

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #1,393 of 3,064
Quote:
First post. Long time lurker. I have had the A83 because of this thread for 3 days and am very pleased with it. My small collection consists of Senn Momentum, Shure 1540 and 1840 and now A83 all run with iPhone or iPod Classc through Centrance Hifi M8.
I'll try to add value to the conversation as I'm not an experienced iem guy. Thanks to all in this thread for the helpful information that led to this purchase!

Welcome to the club. I agree that these sounds really good and I'm not too experience either (you can see how few IEMs I've listened to on my profile). I'm terrible at describing musical representation, but you don't have to be good at that to enjoy a good set of IEMs!
etysmile.gif

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,394 of 3,064
I need some new earphones for walking and work so I'm jumping into the big market.  Are these good for those who walk often?  Whatever I buy should in theory, should be much better than the Samsung earphones which came with my Note 4.

In the UK these can be bought for £269.99.  Just a little over budget.  Someone elsewhere recommended these, although that currently is the only reply.

1. I will have the wire running up between my t-shirt and my cardigan (sometimes a coat on top of that)
  2. I will be using these every day for work
  3. I often walk places, so they will need to be excellent quality with good noise isolation
  4. Needs to be in-ear
  5. Will need to be a snug fit
  6. I listen to a lot of Classical music and Metal
  7. Going to be using Google Music to access and play my music. The potential to hear things like FLAC which I can store on my phone is nice too though.

With this, does anyone think that these earphones could cause me problems?  One issue I find is that the earphones tend feel like they get dragged down, but this could either just be my fault or the Samsung wire being too short.  All the cheap earphones I've used keep losing sound in one or both ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back