FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Oct 1, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #2,581 of 3,064
Thanks guys, and I agree, I probably have nothing to worry about. Anyway, always nice with a bit of support, so much appreciated!

Yes, I guess with all counterfeit going on in Asia I guess most sellers have developed a habit always prefixing their stuff with the word "genuine", which of course says absolutely nothing. It reminds me of the many times I've been to the Philippines and sellers everywhere adds the suffix "only" to the price no matter the price and no matter what you're buying. It always makes me laugh a bit and confuse the seller.

Oh, and the price (as someone already mentioned) is in Australian dollars which translates to roughly USD $292. If any one you of have a better option/price, I'd appreciate to hear about it.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I live i Europe so getting this from Amazon.com would cost me at least USD $360 with shipping, and if customs get their hands on it it will become ridiculously expensive. The European Amazons aren't much better. Amazon.co.uk (EU) would be USD $490 with shipping to my place Sweden (EU). Outrageous!

you can try from lmue..........

http://www.lendmeurears.com/a83/

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #2,582 of 3,064

Thanks guys, and I agree, I probably have nothing to worry about. Anyway, always nice with a bit of support, so much appreciated!

Yes, I guess with all counterfeit going on in Asia I guess most sellers have developed a habit always prefixing their stuff with the word "genuine", which of course says absolutely nothing. It reminds me of the many times I've been to the Philippines and sellers everywhere adds the suffix "only" to the price no matter the price and no matter what you're buying. It always makes me laugh a bit and confuse the seller.

Oh, and the price (as someone already mentioned) is in Australian dollars which translates to roughly USD $292. If any one you of have a better option/price, I'd appreciate to hear about it.

Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I live i Europe so getting this from Amazon.com would cost me at least USD $360 with shipping, and if customs get their hands on it it will become ridiculously expensive. The European Amazons aren't much better. Amazon.co.uk (EU) would be USD $490 with shipping to my place Sweden (EU). Outrageous!

you can try from lmue..........

http://www.lendmeurears.com/a83/

USD $302 and shipping included ! That looks like a rather (or perhaps even very) attractive option! Thanks!

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #2,584 of 3,064
How does the overall build quality other than the cable compare between the A83 and W30? I've always been curious as to how well the A83's are built when compared to the more renowned brands such ad Westone and Shure.

The only thing I have found that seems to be bad on the A83 is the cable connection point is a bit loose... it can move around a tiny bit, which may be why some people are having issues with the left channel cutting out. I don't know why that piece wasn't molded as part of the rest of the housing. I also wish they wouldn't have done red/blue, and stuck with that nice looking beige-ish color for the whole IEM. It'd look perfect then. Apart from that, the IEMs are both plastic... not much to them. I don't think it's "cheaply" made by any means.

Continued comparing some songs... edge is mostly being given to the W30 but ONLY when I have it EQ'd for that clarity option. Without any EQ, I really dislike the W30 compared to the A83... but when EQ'd, it just sounds better to me. Like I said the A83 just seems to be lacking liveliness in some songs, and when it does, it's bad. I ended up having to use the foam tips on the A83 to get a decent seal - included tips aren't really good. Comfort levels are about the same, but I have worn neither for extended periods of time, and I have rather large ears so the size of the A83 doesn't bother me.

Oct 2, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #2,586 of 3,064

How does the overall build quality other than the cable compare between the A83 and W30? I've always been curious as to how well the A83's are built when compared to the more renowned brands such ad Westone and Shure.

The only thing I have found that seems to be bad on the A83 is the cable connection point is a bit loose... it can move around a tiny bit, which may be why some people are having issues with the left channel cutting out. I don't know why that piece wasn't molded as part of the rest of the housing. I also wish they wouldn't have done red/blue, and stuck with that nice looking beige-ish color for the whole IEM. It'd look perfect then. Apart from that, the IEMs are both plastic... not much to them. I don't think it's "cheaply" made by any means.

Continued comparing some songs... edge is mostly being given to the W30 but ONLY when I have it EQ'd for that clarity option. Without any EQ, I really dislike the W30 compared to the A83... but when EQ'd, it just sounds better to me. Like I said the A83 just seems to be lacking liveliness in some songs, and when it does, it's bad. I ended up having to use the foam tips on the A83 to get a decent seal - included tips aren't really good. Comfort levels are about the same, but I have worn neither for extended periods of time, and I have rather large ears so the size of the A83 doesn't bother me.

Maybe I would have know what is meant by "that clarity option" had I read more of the thread. Anyway, I'm guessing you're giving it a bit of treble boost, no?

Oct 3, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,587 of 3,064
Maybe I would have know what is meant by "that clarity option" had I read more of the thread. Anyway, I'm guessing you're giving it a bit of treble boost, no?

Yes, that appears to be what it is doing. It's the SoundAlive equalizer on new Samsung phones. I'm not sure which freq's or how much they're boosted, but it's enough to actually make it sound clearer on the W30 and definitely to my tastes... as it sits, the W30 is very neutral to me which to me, sounds cloudy. But when the treble gets boosted in this manner, it has no negative effect that I can hear on anything. I only plan on listening on my phone, but if I get another phone and can't EQ it the same way, I'm going to be disappointed...

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #2,588 of 3,064
  The only thing I have found that seems to be bad on the A83 is the cable connection point is a bit loose... it can move around a tiny bit, which may be why some people are having issues with the left channel cutting out.

I was thinking the other night, the bad fit issues and loose connections probably work together hand in hand.

What happens when you're constantly adjusting the housing of an IEM, pulling/pushing/turning on the wire trying to obtain a seal every few minutes? What we're doing is creating a weak point on the connectors. Before anyone runs off getting the wrong idea I'm not saying its the cause, just it doesn't help. Hopefully next time Fidue place an extra few millimeters on the nozzle length and take this into consideration when tuning.

With that said, I've really been laying off audio purchases these last few months, there's nothing I really truly want. I'm coming around this hobby is a never ending game of upgrading, purchasing. Honestly, there is no 'end game' or final destination here. The key to this hobby is...

Discover which sound signature you like
Find the closest possible IEM within your budget
Come to the realisation its never going to be 100% perfect
Leave so you're no longer tempted

While I won't be leaving, I'm very much about the first three points above, and its A83 I feel gets me there overall. While I do own other IEM like 1Plus2 and ASG-2, "because I'm in the big audio game" I  consider A83 gets me closest to my preferred tonality, note weight and overall detail levels. Because, I'm no longer looking for "perfect", I'm settling on 'close enough'. 

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #2,589 of 3,064

I  consider A83 gets me closest to my preferred tonality, note weight and overall detail levels. Because, I'm no longer looking for "perfect", I'm settling on 'close enough'. 

Im with you 100% on this - I can hear [all be it subtly] how there can be better sounding IEM's out there buttttttt I find myself happy enough with the A83's to the point where I no longer have a desire to keep looking for my 'perfect' IEM's. Luckily, beyond not getting the best fit [my problem from having big holes!] I have had no issues with them :)

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2,590 of 3,064

Yes, that appears to be what it is doing. It's the SoundAlive equalizer on new Samsung phones. I'm not sure which freq's or how much they're boosted, but it's enough to actually make it sound clearer on the W30 and definitely to my tastes... as it sits, the W30 is very neutral to me which to me, sounds cloudy. But when the treble gets boosted in this manner, it has no negative effect that I can hear on anything. I only plan on listening on my phone, but if I get another phone and can't EQ it the same way, I'm going to be disappointed...

I suspect a lot of these of type of 'sound alive' type effects incorporate a Harmonic Exciter, maybe even some BBE technology? An amazing piece of soft/hardware... when used with skill!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exciter_(effect)

An exciter (also called a harmonic exciter or aural exciter) is an audio signal processing technique used to enhance a signal by dynamic equalization, phase manipulation, harmonic synthesis of (usually) high frequency signals, and through the addition of subtle harmonic distortion.

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #2,591 of 3,064

The only thing I have found that seems to be bad on the A83 is the cable connection point is a bit loose... it can move around a tiny bit, which may be why some people are having issues with the left channel cutting out.

I was thinking the other night, the bad fit issues and loose connections probably work together hand in hand.

What happens when you're constantly adjusting the housing of an IEM, pulling/pushing/turning on the wire trying to obtain a seal every few minutes? What we're doing is creating a weak point on the connectors. Before anyone runs off getting the wrong idea I'm not saying its the cause, just it doesn't help. Hopefully next time Fidue place an extra few millimeters on the nozzle length and take this into consideration when tuning.

With that said, I've really been laying off audio purchases these last few months, there's nothing I really truly want. I'm coming around this hobby is a never ending game of upgrading, purchasing. Honestly, there is no 'end game' or final destination here. The key to this hobby is...

Discover which sound signature you like
Find the closest possible IEM within your budget
Come to the realisation its never going to be 100% perfect
Leave so you're no longer tempted

While I won't be leaving, I'm very much about the first three points above, and its A83 I feel gets me there overall. While I do own other IEM like 1Plus2 and ASG-2, "because I'm in the big audio game" I  consider A83 gets me closest to my preferred tonality, note weight and overall detail levels. Because, I'm no longer looking for "perfect", I'm settling on 'close enough'. 

Com'on just one more IEM and you'll be home! 
wink.gif

I'm off to the classifieds for a 1Plus2! 
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #2,593 of 3,064
  Lend me ur ears has them for 259 on Amazon 

At the moment that's seems to be the best price out there, and free Amazon shipping included. That is, if you live in the US, which I don't!

Anyway, Lend Me UR ears ship to many countries in Europe (including Sweden where I live) for USD $302 with DHL Express shipping with a delivery time of about 4-5 working days. I'd say that's a very good deal as well.

Also, by chance I found out an easy way to get a valid Lend Me UR ears coupon code for a 5 % discount. Simply place your order, begin the checkout process but just before confirming your order/before payment close the page and wait for a mail from Lend Me UR ears with the coupon code.

Oct 4, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #2,595 of 3,064

Lend me ur ears has them for 259 on Amazon 

At the moment that's seems to be the best price out there, and free Amazon shipping included. That is, if you live in the US, which I don't!

Anyway, Lend Me UR ears ship to many countries in Europe (including Sweden where I live) for USD $302 with DHL Express shipping with a delivery time of about 4-5 working days. I'd say that's a very good deal as well.

Also, by chance I found out an easy way to get a valid Lend Me UR ears coupon code for a 5 % discount. Simply place your order, begin the checkout process but just before confirming your order/before payment close the page and wait for a mail from Lend Me UR ears with the coupon code.

Oooops 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back