Fidue A73 - Hybrid (1DD + 1BA) IEM - Impressions and discussion thread
Aug 14, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #691 of 1,164
For those of you who have these, have you taken them on an airplane? The sound sig on these sound pretty similar to what my mom wants, but she travels quite a bit and I wanted to know if the ports for the dynamic drivers are going to cause an issue with isolation. 

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #692 of 1,164
  For those of you who have these, have you taken them on an airplane? The sound sig on these sound pretty similar to what my mom wants, but she travels quite a bit and I wanted to know if the ports for the dynamic drivers are going to cause an issue with isolation. 

The noise isolation is poor.

Aug 14, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #693 of 1,164

The noise isolation is poor.

I figured as much. Thank you for the response. :) 

Aug 14, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #694 of 1,164

Btw Archy, DJScope now has my Trinity Delta on loan, so the comparison I promised will need to wait. (unless he wants to say some thoughts)

I won't be able to AB them because of, you know, obvious reasons. But they're very different. 

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:19 AM Post #695 of 1,164
  Great review! awesome to see another review in favour of a73s.

Did you encounter any sibilance on rare occasions?Except for DJScope I haven't encountered any other reviewer mentioning the occasional sibilance with some tracks..

It is also conspicuous that you hear edginess in vocals.It would be great if you can share the tracks in which you hear the edginess in female vocals

Absolutely agree with your observations on the mids...bam!

Did you get a chance to use a73's with tips other than stock ones?

I changed the gain at 10kHz to -1.0 dB, a 1.5 db boost at 3kHz(in foobar tho) does the trick for me with meelec tips..

Thanks.
No I haven't sensed irritating sibilance.
Sara Bareilles - Brave (Live at the variety playhouse), Lake Street Dive - You go down smooth (Bad self Portraits), London Grammar - If you wait (If you wait) are some tracks where I sensed edginess in the vocals. It occurs at a certain pitch or in certain aspects of her voice, but for very short periods. Hard to pinpoint because its one component of many that go into, say, a word being sung, but is noticeable.

I quickly tip rolled through the Ostry, HiFiMAN(except short bi flange), DUNU tips to see which gave me the quickest and easiest seal. The small stock tips plus rigor mortis worked well enough for me. I would have liked to experiment more but a 7 day loan window is not enough to do all that.

Aug 14, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #696 of 1,164
I won't be able to AB them because of, you know, obvious reasons. But they're very different. 

Thanks guys but I have decided to skip Delta and sign up with the Atlas KS. Couldn't resist it with 40% discounted early backing. Bob of Trinity has confirmed that it will be tuned a little warmer in the mids than the Delta which is good news.

I'm loving my A73 and thought that was me done at least for the year. But this is what happens when you dare to come back on to headfi. I need to get banned.

Aug 15, 2015 at 4:32 AM Post #697 of 1,164
Another excellent track for A73 here.

I've been juggling between this Cassandra Wilson album with Sony XBA-H3 the last few days, a great thick sounding recording with excellent vocals. Both A73 and H3 share some resemblance in their bass presentation, H3 having a dose more mid-bass presence which can be a little boomy. Despite this, it presents great atmosphere, you can really 'feel' the track, even some drawn emotion or connection between you and the music. After testing this track several times with H3 I hear A73's bass actually bering tighter, more refined with less decay, the mid-range a little more detailed but with less refinement overall. Its a strange one, A73 does sound cleaner of the two hybrids though H3 still manages to completely draw you into the track.

I can't call a winner because they both do something very right. A73 sounding that little cleaner with less bass bloom, yet H3 freakishly still places you very close with the music. like its warmer mids complement the track more. I think anyone who listened for a few minutes between both these hybrids would probably pick A73 just because it sounds cleaner, clearer, though H3 is the real deal once you understand its presentation.

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #698 of 1,164
I'm selling my a73 with meelec long flange tips if anyone interested for 120 euro, post from EU. registered and insured

or if anyone wants to buy meelec tips for 10 euro let me know

thanks

Aug 15, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #699 of 1,164
I'm selling my a73 with meelec long flange tips if anyone interested for 120 euro, post from EU. registered and insured

or if anyone wants to buy meelec tips for 10 euro let me know

thanks

LOL.

Nothing surprises me from you anymore.
I don't even want to know why from Love to Sell so soon. GL

BTW are your Meelec tips gold plated or something ?

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #700 of 1,164
  Another excellent track for A73 here.

I've been juggling between this Cassandra Wilson album with Sony XBA-H3 the last few days, a great thick sounding recording with excellent vocals. Both A73 and H3 share some resemblance in their bass presentation, H3 having a dose more mid-bass presence which can be a little boomy. Despite this, it presents great atmosphere, you can really 'feel' the track, even some drawn emotion or connection between you and the music. After testing this track several times with H3 I hear A73's bass actually bering tighter, more refined with less decay, the mid-range a little more detailed but with less refinement overall. Its a strange one, A73 does sound cleaner of the two hybrids though H3 still manages to completely draw you into the track.

I can't call a winner because they both do something very right. A73 sounding that little cleaner with less bass bloom, yet H3 freakishly still places you very close with the music. like its warmer mids complement the track more. I think anyone who listened for a few minutes between both these hybrids would probably pick A73 just because it sounds cleaner, clearer, though H3 is the real deal once you understand its presentation.

Excellent impressions - thanks! Makes me want both of them :)

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #701 of 1,164
Tried my comply tips today and enjoyed these a lot more with them. They brought down the sibilance to the point where they ride the fine edge of ultimate clarity and to much. I can now appreciate the following more. I will still probably sell these because I still prefer my Z5 but I am glad to hear it's possible to tame these down to a reasonable level.

Aug 16, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #702 of 1,164
...I think anyone who listened for a few minutes between both these hybrids would probably pick A73 just because it sounds cleaner, clearer, though H3 is the real deal once you understand its presentation.

Are these thoughts specific to this track alone or overall across most music genre you are listening to ?

I will try to listen to this track later when I have quiet time. I'm going to try with both the Sony & Meelec tips (narrow & wide bore)nas they both offer a quite a different presentation to me. Eg For me Sony tips have comparatively smaller soundstage and tighter bass with less decay but more overall detail.

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #703 of 1,164
Are these thoughts specific to this track alone or overall across most music genre you are listening to ?

I will try to listen to this track later when I have quiet time. I'm going to try with both the Sony & Meelec tips (narrow & wide bore).

That impression was formulated, tested and published in my little audio cave I'm restrained to during our house renovations atm. Over the course of 2 days I listened to Sony H3, how nice it represented the track or album specifically (though especially that track). I then switched to A73 for a few comparisons. Of course, I imagine the bass is going to stay relatively equivalent between albums to my original thoughts.

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #704 of 1,164
LOL.

Nothing surprises me from you anymore.
I don't even want to know why from Love to Sell so soon. GL

BTW are your Meelec tips gold plated or something ?

they are great earphones, I am a bass person, no point giving sennhesers to a bass head.
they are great earphones, xb90 with an amp suits me better even thought they sound not as detailed.
I realised its not about your budget, or how much detail you get in audio or balance in audio or what isn't ressesed, it's about what kind of audio you want. i want bass so this is where you look.

and no they are not gold plated, I paid 15 euro for some plastic rubber so 2/3 is a fair price but obviously if it sells, obviously if it doesn't sell I lower price.

it's a great iem but as I say no point giving neutral iems to a bass head. bass heads ears are sensitive to high frequencies. there is not best iem just preference. if there was iem that you could tweak into any kind of sound then yes.

enjoy this iem it is very good, but as I say I'm a bass head I like bass, so for me it is bass amp with bass earphones.

cheers

Aug 16, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #705 of 1,164
they are great earphones, I am a bass person, no point giving sennhesers to a bass head.
they are great earphones, xb90 with an amp suits me better even thought they sound not as detailed.
I realised its not about your budget, or how much detail you get in audio or balance in audio or what isn't ressesed, it's about what kind of audio you want. i want bass so this is where you look.

and no they are not gold plated, I paid 15 euro for some plastic rubber so 2/3 is a fair price but obviously if it sells, obviously if it doesn't sell I lower price.

it's a great iem but as I say no point giving neutral iems to a bass head. bass heads ears are sensitive to high frequencies. there is not best iem just preference. if there was iem that you could tweak into any kind of sound then yes.

enjoy this iem it is very good, but as I say I'm a bass head I like bass, so for me it is bass amp with bass earphones.

cheers
I hear you, if budget is not a concern the XBA-Z5 might be the ultimate dream IEM for you. If budget is a bit of a concern and bass is your biggest enjoyment then the XBA-A3 might be right next in line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back