Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #721 of 1,018
The hypsos isn't required. It comes with a 24V PSU stock but you can upgrade to the hypsos if desired (or use an alternative 24V PSU)

It is if you want the best sound surely? Or have I misunderstood our previous conversations?

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #722 of 1,018
It is if you want the best sound surely? Or have I misunderstood our previous conversations?
The hypsos makes an improvement but it's not necessary unless it was comfortably within your budget.

There's always things to improve a chain

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #724 of 1,018
In the Stereophile review, the only measured difference John found was a 6db higher noise floor with the Hypsos. Surely one of the main benefits of replacing a switch mode power supply with a linear one, should be a lower noise floor. @GoldenSound are you able to ask the FERRUM engineers about this? Was the Hypsos faulty or did John make a mistake? He usually mentions if a DAC can handle digital overs, but missed that issue in the Wandla review as well. Or maybe just assumed people would use the digital trim function.

Mar 3, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #725 of 1,018
The hypsos makes an improvement but it's not necessary unless it was comfortably within your budget.

There's always things to improve a chain

I'm going to be (respectfully) blunt, because we seem to be talking in circles and I'm not getting the assurance I'd like.

Setting the issue of budget aside, because I'll grind what grist the mill requires in pursuit of SQ, I would like to understand how much of an improvement Hypsos creates. It's £1000, so what am I getting for that? Is it night and day? Horrible cliché, forgive me. Or is it subtle? Could one live without it and be happy? Or is it a must buy? If it's <5% improvement then I wouldn't bother. But if it's more impactful than that, then it's something worth considering.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #726 of 1,018
I'm going to be (respectfully) blunt, because we seem to be talking in circles and I'm not getting the assurance I'd like.

Setting the issue of budget aside, because I'll grind what grist the mill requires in pursuit of SQ, I would like to understand how much of an improvement Hypsos creates. It's £1000, so what am I getting for that? Is it night and day? Horrible cliché, forgive me. Or is it subtle? Could one live without it and be happy? Or is it a must buy? If it's <5% improvement then I wouldn't bother. But if it's more impactful than that, then it's something worth considering.
For the Wandla, it's a <5% improvement. It's more noticeable with the Oor, which also presents a more dynamic load.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #727 of 1,018
For the Wandla, it's a <5% improvement. It's more noticeable with the Oor, which also presents a more dynamic load.
Thank you.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #728 of 1,018

This pretty much. I discussed it in the review I think and have spoken about it in chats a few times. The improvement is much more noticeable with the oor. Om the Wandla it's 5-10%. If you have an oor I'd definitely get the splitter so you can run the hypsos to the Wandla and oor. But for just the Wandla I'd probably leave it.

Only get the hypsos if that £1000 couldn't be better spent on headphones etc

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #729 of 1,018
@GoldenSound
Congrats on thecollaboration!

When will it go live and does it maintain the same filters in addition to your special features?

Mar 3, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #730 of 1,018
@GoldenSound
Congrats on thecollaboration!

When will it go live and does it maintain the same filters in addition to your special features?
Yep! Filters are the same as the standard version, Jussi did some fantastic work with those

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #732 of 1,018
I’m in Canada and bought my WANDLA from a local dealer. Will I have to go through headphones.ca to upgrade my existing unit?
You'll need to go through headphones.ca to buy one new.
Conversions will be direct through Ferrum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back