Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #1,006 of 1,030
Ok I don’t tend to right a lot of feedback regarding the gear I own but the ferrum Wandla is just too great to not share my thoughts because it is exactly what I was looking for in a sound signature AND it is not what I was expecting.

I tend to not agree with most reviewers as they mostly try to upsell a product for commissions or affiliation links. But this DAC is worth all the praise it got!

What I was expecting from this Dac is sterile fatiguing sound due to the ess chip. But I was surprised that it is NOT at all ! It really is a natural neutral sound that is both engaging and fun and interesting to listen to even on bad recordings. On top of that it doesn’t sound like Delta-Sigma DACs! What I mean by that is it has a big stage with great depth and AMAZING layering and instruments separation!

All my impressions are based on HQ Apod and HQ Gauss filters.

Now let me talk about the NONE sound features that made me highly respect Ferrum and made me a life long fan of their product:

1- very well designed software with top notch UI ! I never seen a Dac with such attention to details and user experience with an (i) button to explain any part of the software options.

2- a beautiful colorful very responsive touch screen, that is a joy to use.

3- Ferrum really care about their customers as they have a vote on their website regarding what the users thought on the current filters so they would try to bring new improved filters in the future.

4- continues firmware upgrade to keep improving and solving any bugs and problems.

5- a remote.

They really went up and beyond with the Wandla.

6- all kind of input possible, Even an Arc ! Which I never seen before in a 2 ch Dac tbh.

7- option for hot 10v or standard 4v output.

8- pre amp (though I don’t have any use for it but it’s good to know that you are covered).

Now let me compare the Wandla to Holo May KTE as I had the May in my system for about a week or so as a loaner from a friend.

My headphones are: HE6 OG 6 screws and DS madhouse Tungsten.

My Amplifier is Holo Bliss KTE

Streamer/DDC is the Holo RED

Resolution: in my opinion both Dac on the same level here.

Soundstage: from what I perceived I found both Dac stage big, very wide and very deep, but with the May a little bit deeper, impressive feat for Wandla!

Layering and separation between instruments in the mix: I found the May the most impressive Dac ever in this particular area, and wandla was on par ! May maybe a mere few percent ahead but nonetheless.

Imaging: Wandla was laser sharp pinpoint and May is no slouch but it was behind in this area.

Speed: one of the few things I didn’t like about the May is the speed, I felt it was slower than what I liked in my music, maybe it’s accurate this way I’m not sure but definitely not to what I like, Wandla is FAST that’s where the ess chip shows its characteristics.

Texture: let me explain what is my definition of texture so you can understand my thoughts. When you look up close to the skin of a face that has no make up you can clearly tell all the pores, imperfections and irregularities very easily, but after make up everything looks nice and smooth and perfect. So this what I mean by texture.

The Wandla is very texture forward which I really like, but at the same time it is never harsh or fatiguing, I think it strikes an excellent balance in this regards. The May however, is very smooth, too smooth I might add, it makes everything sounds nice and polite and maybe boring in certain genres that requires speed and texture like electronic and edm. But this smoothness pays off with certain types of music that I will cover in the midrange segment.

Timber: I found both Dac to have an excellent accurate timber, but May has the more real life like timber but Wandla more enjoyable representation of timber although less accurate.

Treble: I found with time that treble is enjoyable, in the past I thought that I hated treble and always wanted something smooth in the treble, and that’s because not a lot of audio equipment present treble accurately and also if you have a lot of noise in the system you will hear it usually as harshness in the treble (don’t quote me on that, it’s just what was my experience with different equipment and different sources overtime) anyway let’s talk about the DACs treble. I found the Wandla treble is well extended well executed and never fatiguing and never harsh, very engaging and enjoyable with a little bite and texture that will make you want more. On the other hand, May is very smooth in the treble, too smooth I might say, a little boring with music that requires treble energy, more like old vinyl records that feel too smooth.

Midrange: Wandla here is excellent but in my opinion there is nothing like Holo May in the midrange! It is where the May real strength and main advantage where the MAGIC of the Holo Dac happens, in one words magnificent! Very romantic and smooth and beautiful. It’s excellent for mid focus and vocal focus music, its smoothness make old recordings sounds lifelike and very beautiful and mesmerizing. But other music where other parts of the frequency response I found the Wandla to be more enjoyable.

Bass: both Dac slams in the bass but the May definitely slams stronger, but the Wandla I found more textured in the bass.

To summarize, I think both DACs are excellent and it’s a matter of preference more than performance. But for me and my preference, I think I final found it!

My preference is big sound stage with depth and excellent layering and separation, well extended treble and punchy bass with sharp imaging. Until now I never found a Dac that has all of that, as big stage and separation is more r2r but the Wandla changed that and I think it’s an excellent value for money and it punches above its prince range.
Thank you for taking the time to share so many of your thoughts! :) 🙏🏼✨

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #1,007 of 1,030
Ok I don’t tend to right a lot of feedback regarding the gear I own but the ferrum Wandla is just too great to not share my thoughts because it is exactly what I was looking for in a sound signature AND it is not what I was expecting.

I tend to not agree with most reviewers as they mostly try to upsell a product for commissions or affiliation links. But this DAC is worth all the praise it got!

What I was expecting from this Dac is sterile fatiguing sound due to the ess chip. But I was surprised that it is NOT at all ! It really is a natural neutral sound that is both engaging and fun and interesting to listen to even on bad recordings. On top of that it doesn’t sound like Delta-Sigma DACs! What I mean by that is it has a big stage with great depth and AMAZING layering and instruments separation!

Now let me talk about the NONE sound features that made me highly respect Ferrum and made me a life long fan of their product:

1- very well designed software with top notch UI ! I never seen a Dac with such attention to details and user experience with an (i) button to explain any part of the software options.

3- Ferrum really care about their customers as they have a vote on their website regarding what the users thought on the current filters so they would try to bring new improved filters in the future.

4- continues firmware upgrade to keep improving and solving any bugs and problems.

5- a remote.

6- all kind of input possible, Even an Arc ! Which I never seen before in a 2 ch Dac tbh.

8- pre amp (though I don’t have any use for it but it’s good to know that you are covered).

Now let me compare the Wandla to Holo May KTE as I had the May in my system for about a week or so as a loaner from a friend.

Soundstage: from what I perceived I found both Dac stage big, very wide and very deep, but with the May a little bit deeper, impressive feat for Wandla!

Layering and separation between instruments in the mix: I found the May the most impressive Dac ever in this particular area, and wandla was on par ! May maybe a mere few percent ahead but nonetheless.

Imaging: Wandla was laser sharp pinpoint and May is no slouch but it was behind in this area.

Speed: one of the few things I didn’t like about the May is the speed, I felt it was slower than what I liked in my music, maybe it’s accurate this way I’m not sure but definitely not to what I like, Wandla is FAST that’s where the ess chip shows its characteristics.

Texture: let me explain what is my definition of texture so you can understand my thoughts. When you look up close to the skin of a face that has no make up you can clearly tell all the pores, imperfections and irregularities very easily, but after make up everything looks nice and smooth and perfect. So this what I mean by texture.

The Wandla is very texture forward which I really like, but at the same time it is never harsh or fatiguing, I think it strikes an excellent balance in this regards. The May however, is very smooth, too smooth I might add, it makes everything sounds nice and polite and maybe boring in certain genres that requires speed and texture like electronic and edm. But this smoothness pays off with certain types of music that I will cover in the midrange segment.

Timber: I found both Dac to have an excellent accurate timber, but May has the more real life like timber but Wandla more enjoyable representation of timber although less accurate.

Treble: I found with time that treble is enjoyable, in the past I thought that I hated treble and always wanted something smooth in the treble, and that’s because not a lot of audio equipment present treble accurately and also if you have a lot of noise in the system you will hear it usually as harshness in the treble (don’t quote me on that, it’s just what was my experience with different equipment and different sources overtime) anyway let’s talk about the DACs treble. I found the Wandla treble is well extended well executed and never fatiguing and never harsh, very engaging and enjoyable with a little bite and texture that will make you want more. On the other hand, May is very smooth in the treble, too smooth I might say, a little boring with music that requires treble energy, more like old vinyl records that feel too smooth.

Midrange: Wandla here is excellent but in my opinion there is nothing like Holo May in the midrange! It is where the May real strength and main advantage where the MAGIC of the Holo Dac happens, in one words magnificent! Very romantic and smooth and beautiful. It’s excellent for mid focus and vocal focus music, its smoothness make old recordings sounds lifelike and very beautiful and mesmerizing. But other music where other parts of the frequency response I found the Wandla to be more enjoyable.

Bass: both Dac slams in the bass but the May definitely slams stronger, but the Wandla I found more textured in the bass.

To summarize, I think both DACs are excellent and it’s a matter of preference more than performance. But for me and my preference, I think I final found it!

My preference is big sound stage with depth and excellent layering and separation, well extended treble and punchy bass with sharp imaging. Until now I never found a Dac that has all of that, as big stage and separation is more r2r but the Wandla changed that and I think it’s an excellent value for money and it punches above its prince range.
Thanks for a great write-up! I've been considering getting the Wandla to replace my Gustard R26 and the Holo Red to go alongside with it as a streamer.

Did you use your Holo Red as a streamer or as a DDC? And did I understand correctly that you don't have the Hypsos with your Wandla?

Apr 26, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #1,008 of 1,030

5- a remote.

Do you run Wandla with Hypsos? How many hours do you have on it?

I found bass slam on the Wandla to be insane and even better than May. But to get it I use Apod + Analogue volume, Pro output, and it opened up in the bass department with maybe 100h on the clock or so. Definitely dynamics improved with time.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #1,009 of 1,030
Thanks for a great write-up! I've been considering getting the Wandla to replace my Gustard R26 and the Holo Red to go alongside with it as a streamer.

Did you use your Holo Red as a streamer or as a DDC? And did I understand correctly that you don't have the Hypsos with your Wandla?
Hello , I went from R26/ock2 combo to Hypsos/Wandla and the latter combo is a significant upgrade. Soudstage depth, width and hight is bigger with more clarity using usb input in both DACs. Now, I am using I2S wandla input and overall music is one step above usb.
Daniel

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #1,010 of 1,030

I did use my holo red as both, didn’t notice big difference so switched to streaming only for most listening impressions. But I will give it more time as a DDC and also without the RED to see how much it changes.

Yes my impression is based on Wandla only because I was skeptical that I’m going to not like the Dac and if so I can just resell it and move on. But now I’m interested! And will definitely try to acquire a hypsos as soon as my wallet heals 🤣.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #1,011 of 1,030
Do you run Wandla with Hypsos? How many hours do you have on it?

I found bass slam on the Wandla to be insane and even better than May. But to get it I use Apod + Analogue volume, Pro output, and it opened up in the bass department with maybe 100h on the clock or so. Definitely dynamics improved with time.
I run Wandla without Hypsos (for now, hope to get it soon) I have put I think around 30h or so. I hope it opens up further ! That would be great!

And also I think the Wandla synergies very well with holo bliss, it’s like match made in heaven 😍.

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #1,012 of 1,030
@GoldenSound Very much interested in the GSE Wandla. Looks amazing. Headphones.com shows it as pre-order. Do you know how soon orders will begin shipping once the pre-order is placed?

Apr 28, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #1,013 of 1,030
Just a random interjection, I have another audio interface on the desktop for my active speakers because the Ferrum stack is not directly connected to the main desktop PC, but yesterday I decided to test it.

the bad first:
- connected to the Oor in bypass, my speakers did not turn off after 1h with no signal as they should (Hypsos in standby as well) - could be an issue with the cables that I was using though.
- headphone out and line out are always both active and not able to be regulated separately, so this was not intended as a permanent solution. Maybe a seperate preamp for the speakers at some point...

the good:
- ...it sounded so much better though! Compared to an RME Adi-2 Pro FS R, this is not news to some of y'all, but RME is such a standard recommendation in pro contexts that I still feel attached to from my previous life, but the dynamics, punch and imaging became so much better it was almost sad to hear.
Seriously.
- Hearing it in a speaker context, it made it somehow come alive to me more in a headphone context as well, and I can pick up these differences now that sounded a bit overblown to me at first when I was only reading about it. Play around with your gear more! hook it up to car batteries and use it around town! :beyersmile:

...I am gonna have to test new cables, aren't I - I have 1 set of Vovox cables from the RME to the Neumann KH80s, and they turn off after a while, but the left one randomly turns on again sometimes. I switched the cables around already and it was still the left one, so maybe that side is picking up some interference and the speaker interprets it as signal, but I don't know if the Oor still puts out enough signal when even the Hypsos is in standby to cause them to stay on.

Listening to the Wandla right now on headphones and really appreciating its qualities anew.

Apr 29, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #1,016 of 1,030
@GoldenSound Very much interested in the GSE Wandla. Looks amazing. Headphones.com shows it as pre-order. Do you know how soon orders will begin shipping once the pre-order is placed?
We got word from Ferrum directly this morning that they are going to be shipping our units out next week from Poland. It's generally about 3-4 days from there depending on customs so hopefully we will be shipping out units by next Friday at the earliest, the week after at the latest!

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
May 1, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #1,019 of 1,030
For those using the Holo Red with I2S into the Wandla, what is the pinout configuration you have the Red set to?

1714598003412.png

May 1, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #1,020 of 1,030
Wandla vs Erco (gen 1)... I am blown away. Testing with LCD-5, Hypsos and Erco as the amp section.

No more treble glare. I didn't realise how much glare Erco suffered from. Wandla is clean and natural, with the smoothest timbre I've ever heard. Whilst being very punchy and detailed. Treble is natural and clean. Erco was slightly artificial.

Stage has improved, going slightly in front (and behind) my head. Separation is better, especially clear in busy songs. The stage is less "fixed" in place, and more fluid. Sounds coming from many directions.

Micro-dynamics are much better. Each impact has multiple, smaller pieces making it up. There is so much texture to this.

Wandla uses the 9038PRO chip, while Erco has 9028PRO. I think the chip makes a difference in fullness and bass weight, plus treble smoothness. As I've used other 9038 DACs that had a similar weight and body in the bass region.

Something about 9028 Pro is just thinner, too dry, and snappy/brittle. The transients are TOO fast on Erco. I've noticed this in every 9028 DAC including Erco. Even though Ferrum bypasses the chip in some areas, I think it still matters.

Hope that's helpful to anyone wondering how they compare!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back