Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #467 of 1,011
Curious how many of you run it as a stack like this with no shelving? It looks great, but I’ve not done it due to thermal concerns.
I have had mine stacked since I had them last summer and they are fine. OOR at the bottom, Hyosos in the middle and WANDLA on top. It ran much warmer during the summer months buy now runs actually cool. I did email Ferrum about any heat concerns and they say itll be fine

Dec 15, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #468 of 1,011
Thermal concerns are why I don’t stack them directly, but I do liked the idea of having a smaller desktop footprint. The solution was using the Burson Mothership. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0302.jpeg
    IMG_0302.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Dec 15, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #471 of 1,011
One of these in black would be awesome

Totally agree! Too bad Burson’s products are all silver, so that will likely never happen.

Dec 15, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #472 of 1,011
That looks beautiful! Sadly I am so short on space. Its actually one of the reason I chose the Ferrum.

I hear you. The mothership footprint is a decent amount larger than the Ferrum footprint. I‘ve briefly stacked them, one on top of the other, but the heat of each of the units accumulated noticeably more than if they were separated. Longevity was a big concern.

Dec 16, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #473 of 1,011
I've put isolation feet between the Oor and Wandla (with Hypsos at the bottom) and don't have any issues with heat. I also turn it off the Oor and Wandla when not in use.

This must be Ferrum's most asked question... their support told me it's not an issue, but stated that Hypsos, Oor then Wandla generated higher amounts of heat in that order (warmest to coldest). They said order of stacking didn't matter.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #474 of 1,011
Isolation feet certainly would help give additional breathing room, along with additional dampening, I’m sure. I turn off my components while not in use, too, but that’s more because I don’t want to waste energy unnecessarily.

Dec 16, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #475 of 1,011
I've put isolation feet between the Oor and Wandla (with Hypsos at the bottom) and don't have any issues with heat. I also turn it off the Oor and Wandla when not in use.

This must be Ferrum's most asked question... their support told me it's not an issue, but stated that Hypsos, Oor then Wandla generated higher amounts of heat in that order so I've stacked in that order.
Wandla at the top? It's good to know that's okay. I'm about to use Oor in bypass mode with Wandla analog volume control and switching them around means my muscle memory won't have me constantly turning the wrong knob as the volume will still be at the top. Thanks.

Dec 16, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #476 of 1,011
Wandla at the top? It's good to know that's okay. I'm about to use Oor in bypass mode with Wandla analog volume control and switching them around means my muscle memory won't have me constantly turning the wrong knob as the volume will still be at the top. Thanks.

Sorry, I had a typo.. hottest to coldest I was told by support was Hypsos, Oor, Wandla. Technically you'd stack coldest to hottest, but I reversed Oor and Wandla and put feet in between for my own convenience. To be honest, Ferrum stated it didn't matter what order it was stacked.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #477 of 1,011
I use IsoAcoustics mini pucks to separate them. (Making sure to keep the pucks away from the heat vents.) I have streamer on the bottom, Hypsos at the bottom of the stack, Wandla in the middle and the Oor on the top. I've not noticed any more heat this way than when leaving them seperate. (They did seem to heat up slightly more when I just stacked them in the same configuration with just the attached feet. Not a big enough difference to be alarmed about in my opinion. But spent all the money on the stack, may as well go the extra mile.)

Excuse the cable mess in the background, I'm in the process of moving things around just took a quick snap to help the thread.)

photo_2023-12-16_18-51-29.jpg

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:31 AM Post #478 of 1,011
Sorry, I had a typo.. hottest to coldest I was told by support was Hypsos, Oor, Wandla. Technically you'd stack coldest to hottest, but I reversed Oor and Wandla and put feet in between for my own convenience. To be honest, Ferrum stated it didn't matter what order it was stacked.
Thanks for clarifying. It’s good that Ferrum are pretty chill about the whole thing anyway so it may be personal preference rather than technical necessity to the ordering.

None of the Ferrum devices run as hot as my Rega Aethos, which is usually between 50C and 60C even when idle, and it’s almost too hot to touch. That’s normal operating temp. The Ferrum stack are much cooler so I’m sure all is well.

Dec 30, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #479 of 1,011
Hey so I got my Wandla like a week ago.
It works great except one thing. When I press the power button on the remote all it doesn't put the dac into standby or off? Anyone else have this issue.

Dec 31, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #480 of 1,011
Just saw the issue that Hypsos creates when placed stacked with OOR. The measurement is posted in SBAF and recommendation is to keep Hypsos on the side of the gear it powers.
Seems when Oor is stacked on top of Hypsos the AC mains noise goes up significantly as compared to when it is kept side by side at a distance of 1ft and above. So if you have the means do try to keep side by side with some space in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back