Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #497 of 1,030
Yeah but you cannot really A/B that. 100h is such long period that you could just change the way you feel about it. Not saying it’s not true, but it’s just impossible to know over such long period. For me it’s excellent from the beginning with no changes
It’s possible. Idk 🤷‍♂️

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:23 PM Post #498 of 1,030
Believe this is showing your output not input, so this is part of the filter.
The filters do oversampling so don’t affect the bit depth. Anyway it also doesn’t change with different filters, always 32bit

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #499 of 1,030
For some reason my wandla wrongly shows 32bits for every single track playing. Does anyone experience the same thing?

IMG_1786.jpeg
Likely indicates you're not using a bitperfect output from your machine. What player are you using? Are you using ASIO or the OS mixer?

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #501 of 1,030
Likely indicates you're not using a bitperfect output from your machine. What player are you using? Are you using ASIO or the OS mixer?
I have just an iPad Pro with Apple Music plugged in to usb, though I thought it’s supposed to be bit-perfect..🤔

Jan 4, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #502 of 1,030
I have just an iPad Pro with Apple Music plugged in to usb, though I thought it’s supposed to be bit-perfect..🤔
Do you have the volume on the ipad set to max.? I had similar behaviour when changing the DSP volume on my streamer that my Wandla is connected to. That went away once I disabled the volume control on my streamer for bit perfect delivery to the dac.

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #503 of 1,030
Do you have the volume on the ipad set to max.? I had similar behaviour when changing the DSP volume on my streamer that my Wandla is connected to. That went away once I disabled the volume control on my streamer for bit perfect delivery to the dac.
iPad automatically recognises the dac and volume panel is disabled showing max volume, so I don’t think the issue is there

Jan 4, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #504 of 1,030
Hi Golden, Is it a design choice to have the WANDLA output 32bit when signal is not bit perfect? Just curious why it happens and what the benefits are.
The DAC can't tell whether what it's being fed is bitperfect or not. It just reports what it's being given.

It showing 32 bit means the OS is feeding it 32 bit data.

When I tested IOS previously, it was bitperfect so long as you had the volume maxed, but it may just be padding samples, which means it's taking the 16/24 bit info, but adding zeros to the end of each sample to up them to 32 bit. This is likely just to make sure that the connected device doesn't have to stop/resync or something when you start adjusting volume. If it was bitperfect at max vol without padding but then swapped to applying vol control + dithering at 32 bit when you turned volume down, the connected DAC would suddenly see a different audio format and would probably momentarily stop playback.

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #505 of 1,030
The DAC can't tell whether what it's being fed is bitperfect or not. It just reports what it's being given.

It showing 32 bit means the OS is feeding it 32 bit data.

When I tested IOS previously, it was bitperfect so long as you had the volume maxed, but it may just be padding samples, which means it's taking the 16/24 bit info, but adding zeros to the end of each sample to up them to 32 bit. This is likely just to make sure that the connected device doesn't have to stop/resync or something when you start adjusting volume. If it was bitperfect at max vol without padding but then swapped to applying vol control + dithering at 32 bit when you turned volume down, the connected DAC would suddenly see a different audio format and would probably momentarily stop playback.
Thanks for the explanation!

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #506 of 1,030
Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Hypsos and do not know how to fix so posting here to look for help. On Christmas day in my neighbour had a problem with electricity which was down for several hours and after that my Hypsos did not come back to work. I opened the fuse and saw it was smoked so I replaced with another fuse that included inside the Hypsos but still did not work either. So I emailed the Hypsos support and my dealer but look like they do not response. My hypsos is a Ex demo unit with lower price than current price so maybe they do not bother with warranty. I am in Australia.

Are there any of you who opened the Hypsos or have some acknowledgements about Linear power supplies how to work then give me some advices please. I seek for online help before find some places in my area where can fix audio stuffs to save some cash. Thank you.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #507 of 1,030
Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Hypsos and do not know how to fix so posting here to look for help. On Christmas day in my neighbour had a problem with electricity which was down for several hours and after that my Hypsos did not come back to work. I opened the fuse and saw it was smoked so I replaced with another fuse that included inside the Hypsos but still did not work either. So I emailed the Hypsos support and my dealer but look like they do not response. My hypsos is a Ex demo unit with lower price than current price so maybe they do not bother with warranty. I am in Australia.

Are there any of you who opened the Hypsos or have some acknowledgements about Linear power supplies how to work then give me some advices please. I seek for online help before find some places in my area where can fix audio stuffs to save some cash. Thank you.
Did you have surge ? Fuse doesn’t always protect against surge. May be some internal component is also fried.

Jan 4, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #508 of 1,030

Not related to your issue, but related on why Ferrum is not responding. Ferrum audio is from Poland, some countries from Europe take more vacation days for the holidays than other countries. I emailed them the 12/29 about my Wandla issue and didn't hear from they today 1/4. I answered back and haven't hear from them. YMMV...

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #509 of 1,030
My Wandla’s stock psu start making some noise. It’s only 1 month old. Created a ticket today with Ferrum. I hope they’ll answer fast.

Jan 4, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #510 of 1,030
My Wandla’s stock psu start making some noise. It’s only 1 month old. Created a ticket today with Ferrum. I hope they’ll answer fast.
Is it coming at a distance or only if you bring your ears close to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back