Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #481 of 1,030
Hey so I got my Wandla like a week ago.
It works great except one thing. When I press the power button on the remote all it doesn't put the dac into standby or off? Anyone else have this issue.
For the brief time, I use mine, the unit doesn't seem to shut down, just goes to standby. Curious about other users' experiences.

On another note, my brand new unit's left channel died after playing 5 songs. The unit went to DC protection, and after that left the channel died. Changing the volume control mode to digital also kicked DC protection in my unit YMMV.

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #483 of 1,030
For the brief time, I use mine, the unit doesn't seem to shut down, just goes to standby. Curious about other users' experiences.

On another note, my brand new unit's left channel died after playing 5 songs. The unit went to DC protection, and after that left the channel died. Changing the volume control mode to digital also kicked DC protection in my unit YMMV.
So yesterday this happen on mine where I got the DC protection happen twice during a song. Prior to this It would sometimes also randomly shut down and I could not even turn it back on with the remote. I had to hit the power switch on the Hypsos in order to turn it back on. I feel like the unit never had issues until I updated the firmware to 1.2

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #484 of 1,030
So yesterday this happen on mine where I got the DC protection happen twice during a song. Prior to this It would sometimes also randomly shut down and I could not even turn it back on with the remote. I had to hit the power switch on the Hypsos in order to turn it back on. I feel like the unit never had issues until I updated the firmware to 1.2
Mine came with firmware 1.20 stock. Seems there is firmware issue. I'm waiting response from Ferrum might take a while to get some answers because the holidays.

Dec 31, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #485 of 1,030
Saw that Herb Reichert reviews the Wandla DAC in the latest issue of Stereophile. In his conclusion he states (paraphrased) that when used with the optional Hypsos power supply and the HQ Player filters it's consistently enjoyable and musically engaging, and easily competes with DACs in the $10K and up price range.

Dec 31, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #487 of 1,030
Hey people have any of you experiment with the change in sound when voltage is changed?

What are your experiences?

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #488 of 1,030
I've just ordered Wandla + Hypsos combo from local dealer. While I wait I have some questions regarding some basic setup after arrival.
1. Is there any consensus about the optimal Hypsos voltage setup for Wandla?
2. How long burn-in period can I expect for Wandla and Hypsos?
3. Is it recommended to leave combo always ON?

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #489 of 1,030
1. Is there any consensus about the optimal Hypsos voltage setup for Wandla?
Normally 24V is the standard, but 26V is often used, experiment yourself what you prefer
Don’t worry about it, it’s chip based dac. Good to go and even if, I doubt you’ll notice differences of burn in with this one
It goes into standby automatically, also don’t worry about it it’s not r2r where it gets and should be hot

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #491 of 1,030
I can’t redo it to check (without buying another one) and rule out restarting my Raspberry Pi at the same time as 100-ish hours was up, but I noticed a difference for the better at that point.

Most likely it was me getting used to the sound or psychosomatic, but it was a surprise that it was a positive noticeable change.

I found it annoying that it turned off automatically (but respect the energy use reduction) so turned that function off. I turn it on at start of the day and off at the end of the day and listen almost non-stop all day.

Jan 3, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #493 of 1,030
To my ears Wandla was too fatiguing first 100hrs.
Yeah but you cannot really A/B that. 100h is such long period that you could just change the way you feel about it. Not saying it’s not true, but it’s just impossible to know over such long period. For me it’s excellent from the beginning with no changes

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #494 of 1,030
For some reason my wandla wrongly shows 32bits for every single track playing. Does anyone experience the same thing?

IMG_1786.jpeg

Jan 3, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #495 of 1,030
@johnnym
Saw your sign.
Do you still own the Qutest?
Is so, can you compare it to the Wandla?
I have the Qutest and a friend is loaning me the Dave at the moment so I’m trying to see if I can do a decent comparison for the two once I’ve had the Dave for long enough. I’ve had Quetest since 2022, Wandla since November and Dave a couple of weeks.

Initial impressions were that they were similar. Took a while to tease them apart. I did a lot of 2-channel first (when my burn in comment happened). Once I was on Jotunheim and HD800S could tell the difference.

I really like Wandla and now I have Oor too I like it more. No “night and day” difference, but things are generally clearer, wider, richer and detailed with Wandla. Sorry I don’t have the professional reviewer vocabulary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back