Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #256 of 1,013
Since my Spring 3 sold faster than expected and will have to ship within the next few days I decided to share my experience with the two dacs side by side.

They are both very good dacs. But in the end the Wandla is going to be the one I'll be keeping. The overall package it delivers just fits my needs and preferences better.

To give the Spring 3 the best chance I used HQPlayer 5 with 1.5MHz upsampling with it - which gets them closer together performance wise. But that also already hints and one of the things I like so much about the Wandla: its integrated HQPlayer filters.
They enable Wandla to have surprisingly good staging and layering capabilities that even exceed the ones of the Spring 3 in my opinion. And that's out of the box without having to run a software on a PC.
Other things about Wandla that I preferred over Spring 3 are that it sounds snappier and faster which is especially noticeable with electronic music - which I listen a lot.

Another difference I noticed with Wandla is that it's able to position sounds in the soundstage with more precision. It feels so transparent and all around you that you feel more like being in the music. Spring 3 can sound a bit fuller and smoother in comparison but at the cost of some precision and hence immersion.

Another not sound related argument for me is also that Spring 3 needs to be running 24/7 for optimal performance - which especially in the warm summer month(and high energy prices) gets something to consider as well. And it also takes up more than double the space - in my case desk space.

Overall the Spring 3 is still an excellent DAC and depending on use case and preference it might be the better choice for some. For me it's more of a surprise what Ferrum is able to achieve with a delta sigma DAC design in such a compact form factor and ease of use.

Btw.: I also had a Weiss DAC204 here to demo a few weeks back. Also a very good sounding DAC. The punchiest out of all 3 and a bit more forward sounding. But it can't keep up with the staging and overall natural sound the other two are able to provide - also not with HQPlayer. And since it's a more bare bone dac without all the features the Wandla provides I decided against it in the end.

I hope that helps a bit. If you have any specific questions. Let me know :)
Im also interested in wandla..
Did you use wandla with hysos psu in this comparison??

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #258 of 1,013
Im also interested in wandla..
Did you use wandla with hysos psu in this comparison??
No I don't have the Hypsos PSU here. From what I've heard the difference isn't as big as with Oor though.

Sep 12, 2023 at 6:26 AM Post #259 of 1,013
I was very curious about this dac and got it into my setup, compared it a bit with my R26, i must say that i am impressed with Wandla so far, the output a bit hot for Enleum, trimmed the digital to -8 db, exquisite bass texture, definition and overall control compared to R26 (which i still love in NOS mode), the HQ filters really are very good. Very good layering and depth, image and separation also very good Both dacs are very good specimens from delta/sigma and r2r realms, unsurprisingly technicalities are in Wandla's favor for my ears (speed, decay, transients etc). Very tempted to keep both, excellent dacs for their price points

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Sep 13, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #260 of 1,013
For anyone wondering, I found (for my ears) that difference between using standard included charger and using Hypsos with Wandla (not using OOR) is quite substantial, improving micro/macro dynamics, with microdetails, clarity more pronounced. I consider it is a worthy upgrade if you want to squeeze the best performance from Wandla, making it a truly outstanding dac.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #263 of 1,013
I completed my Ferrum stack with the Wandla. It replaced a Topping D90SE, which is a pretty good DAC. The Wandla is, however, on another level. Biggest improvements are in the soundstage/holographic impression/image definition, deep articulate bass, and removal of a glossiness or shimmer off the treble. I got the splitter to run it off the Hypsos but for those considering that be aware that the splitter only comes with one cable and the Wandla none so you have to buy another cable, which is frustrating.

Mostly, I run the ZMF Caldera off the Ferrum and sometimes the ZMF Verite Closed. The Caldera makes a natural pairing. The Verite Closed is very good but it has a magical paring with the Cayin HA-6A so I mostly use it there. I've also tried the Audeze LCD-X (the prior version) and it's very good but the LCD-X pairs so nicely with the Schitt Jotenhiem that I leave that system alone. The Fostex THX-909 also sounds good but I just use that headphone for movies--hella bass.

Overall, the sonics are the right kind of laid back. There is loads of detail but nothing is hyped up. There is a lot more there there, it's easy to relax into the music. There is punch when its necessary but it doesn't just relentlessly beat you with drive. It's some next level stuff. I think the Wandla should have bluetooth but I'm adjusting. For those wondering if Hypsos makes a difference. Probably maybe. Clearly, it takes a bite out of your wallet. Probably it likely improves the Wandla sonics and very likely the Oor. Seems incomplete without the Hypsos.

Attachments

• _DSC8349-2.jpg
    _DSC8349-2.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #264 of 1,013
Can you please compare the two Zmf headphones with Ferrum Wandla ? I am looking for to buy a ZMF headphone either Atrium close, Atrium open or Verite close in the end of this year. My music genres is soul , EDM , hop-Jazz , alternative 90’ mostly.

Thanks
I use the Caldera and the Verite Closed. Both are great on the Ferrum gear, but especially so the Caldera, which really needs a current source. I owned the Atrium and did not like it much and sold it before I got the Ferrrum gear so I can't comment on that one. Between the Caldera and the VC (I use Eikon suede pads) the difference to me is isolation. I often benefit from blocking out external noise so my VC get used more.

Sep 18, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #265 of 1,013
To me Wandla now also found it's final place in my setup replacing my Spring 3. Thanks to the extra space that Spring 3 freed up I was also able to move my Eversolo DMP-A6 to the desk now feeding Wanlda via USB. I couldn't be happier with the sound of my system right now. Especially in combination with my Mod House Tungsten DS every track just takes you on a journey in the best way possible :beyersmile:

1695073942640.png
1695073967120.png

1695074112557.png

Sep 20, 2023 at 1:34 AM Post #266 of 1,013
To me Wandla now also found it's final place in my setup replacing my Spring 3. Thanks to the extra space that Spring 3 freed up I was also able to move my Eversolo DMP-A6 to the desk now feeding Wanlda via USB. I couldn't be happier with the sound of my system right now. Especially in combination with my Mod House Tungsten DS every track just takes you on a journey in the best way possible :beyersmile:

1695073942640.png1695073967120.png
1695074112557.png
Gorgeous tasteful setup!

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #268 of 1,013
Seriously considering this. The sound staging and layering which have been reported to be as good as R2R on top of ESS detail and bass quality are the main things which stand out. Plus the compact form put this ahead of other considerations (R26, May, Yggy). That it can give excellent performance on its own and allow you to upgrade when funds allow with the Hypsos and a separate transport or DDC via I2S are also great. But the main thing is the sound which might be what I’m looking for.

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #269 of 1,013
Seriously considering this. The sound staging and layering which have been reported to be as good as R2R on top of ESS detail and bass quality are the main things which stand out. Plus the compact form put this ahead of other considerations (R26, May, Yggy). That it can give excellent performance on its own and allow you to upgrade when funds allow with the Hypsos and a separate transport or DDC via I2S are also great. But the main thing is the sound which might be what I’m looking for.
I have been partial to R2R but finally caved in and got this yesterday. My previous DAC was the Musician Pegasus. All I can say is night and day. I was totally blown away. I can’t believe what I am hearing. Like what you said, the layering. The bass is nothing like I have heard prior. Songs I have heard a million times before suddenly sound new. Every tract sound full, alive. I can’t stop listening

Sep 20, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #270 of 1,013
I have been partial to R2R but finally caved in and got this yesterday. My previous DAC was the Musician Pegasus. All I can say is night and day. I was totally blown away. I can’t believe what I am hearing. Like what you said, the layering. The bass is nothing like I have heard prior. Songs I have heard a million times before suddenly sound new. Every tract sound full, alive. I can’t stop listening
That's great to hear. Your experience seems to be very similar to mine :beerchug:. Happy to hear you like it as well. Hats off to the team at Ferrum. What they are able to fit into this small box and at what level is remarkable :clap:. Initially I also didn't pay much attention to Wandla since I also went the R2R route first with Ares II and then Spring 3 and I thought I'd never return to a Chip DAC. But especially after listening to it all doubts went away pretty much instantly.

Happy listening :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back