Ferrum WANDLA - Impressions Thread
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #271 of 1,060
Does anyone use the Wandla with HQPlayer software or PGGB? I realize there are some built in pcm filters from HQP but I am curious about folks’ impressions with other external upsamplers!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #272 of 1,060
Finally the weather is cooling down, and I'm able to get serious hands-on time with the WANDLA/OOR/HYPSOS/Splitter using HD800S, LCD-5 & LCD-R (with attenuation adapter).

I am going to keep this short and simply say that this is a marriage of accuracy, performance and enjoyable reproduction of sound that perfectly fits my personal preference. Nothing is missing, brash, or poorly produced. Not stopping at the excellence of the sound, the software, interface and connectivity options are world class too.

To be honest, I am very surprised that the WANDLA is not talked about more. It is a special device indeed. I thought I might miss the TT2, but nope. This thing is magic!

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #273 of 1,060
Does the Wandla have any problems with running RCA into a speaker amp and XLR into the Oor? I’d only be playing one at a time, but want this to work so much.

I know Chord TT2 and Dave owners are advised not to do this because they output to both at the same time and this could break them. I know people can and do, do it, but Chord say not to.

I’m hoping Wandla can switch between outputs or handle this situation when outputting both at once without breaking.

Sep 21, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #274 of 1,060
Does the Wandla have any problems with running RCA into a speaker amp and XLR into the Oor? I’d only be playing one at a time, but want this to work so much.

I know Chord TT2 and Dave owners are advised not to do this because they output to both at the same time and this could break them. I know people can and do, do it, but Chord say not to.

I’m hoping Wandla can switch between outputs or handle this situation when outputting both at once without breaking.
A good preamp is always a good way to go about switching

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #275 of 1,060
A good preamp is always a good way to go about switching
The trouble is my headphone listening is a long way from where I'd put the Wandla so I'd like the Oor to control volume close to where I'm sitting or it seems impractical to use a pre-amp. I may not have this right in my head and maybe it is doable, but the Wandla would also go in to my integrated amp for the speakers so I'm chaining pre-amps there.
Ideally the Oor can handle this itself or has a control to switch between analogue outputs, but I can't find anything about this so far.

Sep 21, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #276 of 1,060
The trouble is my headphone listening is a long way from where I'd put the Wandla so I'd like the Oor to control volume close to where I'm sitting or it seems impractical to use a pre-amp. I may not have this right in my head and maybe it is doable, but the Wandla would also go in to my integrated amp for the speakers so I'm chaining pre-amps there.
Ideally the Oor can handle this itself or has a control to switch between analogue outputs, but I can't find anything about this so far.
I suggest you email Ferrum directly regarding this question. They have been very helpful and responsive to questions. They usually reply within 24 hours

Sep 21, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #277 of 1,060
I suggest you email Ferrum directly regarding this question. They have been very helpful and responsive to questions. They usually reply within 24 hours
I've just done this and will update the thread with the answer for others.

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #278 of 1,060

I've had Wandla since mid May and been running RCA to a speaker amp and XLR to the Oor without any issues. Since a huge part of Wandla's design is I/O versatility, I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't intended to run this way. I also mentioned this config to Ferrum at some point working through a ticket and they didn't say anything about it.

Sep 22, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #279 of 1,060
I've had Wandla since mid May and been running RCA to a speaker amp and XLR to the Oor without any issues. Since a huge part of Wandla's design is I/O versatility, I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't intended to run this way. I also mentioned this config to Ferrum at some point working through a ticket and they didn't say anything about it.
They responded today (super fast) saying there is no problem doing this at all. They said
Of course you can [do this]. Both outputs work simultaneously so there is no need to switch between outputs.
Not even a hint of concern. I'm following up asking about any problems at all and referencing Chord's recommendations not to do this. I expect Chord to be the outlier here and Ferrum to be excellent engineers that do this well, but want to double-triple check before setting this up.

Edit: they replied today confirming
… there is no problem with using both outputs at the same time.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #281 of 1,060
Just to clarify on this - it sounds like the Wandla only outputs to both RCA and XLR simultaneously, there's no option to swap back and forth?

Sep 24, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #282 of 1,060
Just to clarify on this - it sounds like the Wandla only outputs to both RCA and XLR simultaneously, there's no option to swap back and forth?
Correct. You can specify the input, but both outputs run at the same time. For me, it's a non issue since I never listen to speakers and headphones at the same time so I turn on whichever amp I plan to use.

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #283 of 1,060
Has anyone figured out a way to get the Hypsos to fully power-on both the Oor and Wandla completely from stand-by? I've tried the following, assuming I have a trigger cable from the Hypsos to Wandla and the Oor input selector ON
- Power on Standby = OFF - Oor goes from OFF to ON (which is good for me) and Wandla goes from ON to STANDBY and I have to power it on separately (which is the pain point)
- Power on Standby = ON - Oor always remains ON (which is the pain point bc it gets quite hot) and Wandla goes from STANDBY to ON (which is good for me)

It'd be good that the Hypsos can, going from standby to on, fully power-on both devices from off/standby without having me do an extra step (yea.. first world problems :beyersmile: )

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #284 of 1,060
Does anyone know the power supply requirements for Wandla? It is stated as 22-30V, 2.5A, but the maximum power consumption is rated at 15W. Consequently, I am curious about the actual power requirement. I have a high-quality 50W power supply with a maximum output of 24V, which might not fulfill the 22V x 2.5A requirement but should be sufficient for 15W.

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #285 of 1,060
I’m looking forward to Wandla arriving next week. There will be a face off between Chord Mojo 2 and Qutest to see which stays.

I had blocked out this weekend for listening, but apparently the distributor is at Ascot this weekend with all the stock so I have to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back