Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Nov 13, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #2,882 of 3,851
Anyone using ferrum stack with iems? I need to know about this pairing, if there is no problem to use ferrum oor with iems . If there is a problem, I will buy a portable amp, for desktop usage.
No issues for me with Odins.

Nov 13, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #2,883 of 3,851
No issues for me with Odins.
While I think it wasn't primarily built for IEMs like e.g Cayin C9 it's working very well with these but I wouldn't buy it for that use case alone but only if you are driving Full Size cans as @duas2noites main use case.
I have been using it with Odins, VE EXT, Campfire Supermoon and UM Indigo.
Liked it most with Supermoon and Indigo so far.
Headphone output impedance of 0.3 Ohms is quite optimal too for IEMs and I think as usual the whole chain of DAC, amp and in that specific case IEM will matter for the right synergy.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #2,884 of 3,851
Anyone using ferrum stack with iems? I need to know about this pairing, if there is no problem to use ferrum oor with iems . If there is a problem, I will buy a portable amp, for desktop usage.
1668366011520.png
GoldenSound did some measurements of the OOR seems to have concluded that, while not optimal, the OOR will handle iems fine too. I have the 7hz Timeless which I occasionally use (unbalanced) and no noise floor issues whatsoever.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #2,885 of 3,851
Recently , a fairly large number of owners of orr + hypsos have appeared . Has anyone tried to compare the sound with hypsos and without it? Could you describe the difference? What is the difference and with which headphones and DAC have you tried. Thanks.
I'm considering buying an orr, trying to figure out if I need hypsos.

Nov 13, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #2,886 of 3,851
Recently , a fairly large number of owners of orr + hypsos have appeared . Has anyone tried to compare the sound with hypsos and without it? Could you describe the difference? What is the difference and with which headphones and DAC have you tried. Thanks.
From headfonics review:

"The Ferrum OOR on its own is a very good solid-state analog headphone amplifier and preamp. However, paired with the HYPSOS PSU it becomes a great amplifier."

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #2,887 of 3,851
Hey! I ran the Oor without the Hypsos for a few months then added the Hypsos. Here's a link to my impression of it - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ferrum-oor-headphone-amplifier-with-a-soul.958541/post-17159075

Nov 13, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #2,888 of 3,851
I literally hate the fact that I hear a difference with the Hypsos lol! I have done expensive power supply tests before and heard nothing on some other amps that shall remain nameless so I was leaning towards the snake oil camp. However, when buying higher end gear, I always like to try out the configuration and complimentary equipment that the manufacturer claims will give the best performance and then make my mind up rather than writing it off from the beginning based on past results with other gear/manufacturers.

When I tried the Oor with and without the Hypsos the difference was pretty easily heard through the neo-prog playlist I had on at the time. It's not a "night and day" difference for me and the Oor is certainly a very capable amp without the Hypsos, but it is a clear difference and ultimately one worth the added cost given that I purchased the Oor seeking the absolute best performance for the headphones (DCA Stealths) that I bought seeking the same.
powerman makes a huge difference with the formula s ,the power supply makes a huge difference

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #2,889 of 3,851
powerman makes a huge difference with the formula s ,the power supply makes a huge difference

It absolutely does and I'd like to add that you don't have to have some crazy revealing headphones like the Stealth to hear the difference. I recently picked up a pair of Hifiman HE400is as a pair to use on the go and in my workshop. You can hear the difference in the Oor with and without the Hypsos with the HE400is easily as well.

I completely stand by the post you quoted and would recommend that anyone who's looking at the Oor plan to buy the Hypsos too. Even if you have to buy the Oor and then save up to buy the Hypsos separately, it will be worth it in the end, IME.

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #2,890 of 3,851
Very well, where I have used them.

Or are you asking about the mechanism of their function?

In that case,

If there is a mismatch of required heater voltage, or if one wants to use tubes which require more heater current than one’s amp can safely provide, then it is necessary to use external power supply to tubes. This is accomplished by using custom sockets which are not connected to the DC voltage pins on the amp side, and the power to those pins on the tube is provided by external wires, which are connected to an external DC power source of appropriate voltage and power. I have such adapters and custom PS from @Deyan. Unfortunately, the PS boxes I have are pretty large, and I don’t need as many DC outputs for my present setup as I used to. I think the Hypsos would be an elegant solution here.
Hmm, sounds amazing. So for the Envy using the 6SN7 section as an example ... is there a type of tube after using an adapter that should not be used due to needing more heater current? And one can use the Hypsos and the custom sockets to make it work.

Wondering what would be the ideal option using the Envy as an example ... thanks.

Nov 13, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #2,891 of 3,851
Hmm, sounds amazing. So for the Envy using the 6SN7 section as an example ... is there a type of tube after using an adapter that should not be used due to needing more heater current? And one can use the Hypsos and the custom sockets to make it work.

Wondering what would be the ideal option using the Envy as an example ... thanks.
I have adapters and powered sockets to use KTxx triode strapped pairs as dual triode to 6SN7, and powered 6SN7 adapters. This takes 6.2V power.

Alternatively, I can use ГУ-50 tubes in different combination of adapters, and run with 12.4V power.

Also with 12V power, the 12V analogues to 6SN7 are in play.

For Envy, it’s important to remember that both triodes of 6SN7 are used, so single triode strapped tetrodes and pentodes are a no-no. They have to be used in pairs on an appropriate adapter. This is not necessary for Elise/Euforia/AE.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #2,892 of 3,851
I posted this in the ERCO thread, but since this involves the OOR, it bears posting in here. Not sure who out there is using the Ferrum Trifecta yet, but the OOR just came in and…
And hows that stack running your Susvaras? Looks sick if i may add....

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #2,893 of 3,851
I recently moved back from Susvara to TC, and while 1266 TC is really good on tubes (HA6a in my case), it really flies on the Ferrum stack. It's interesting that Oor was developed with Susvara in mind and while it drives Sus really well, it absolutely nails the TC. TC is a really sharp headphone and H+O doesn't blunt it, so it will punish any sharp recording ... play well recorded music however and it is sublime. Sharp, articulate, but not fatiguing or overdone treble, spacious mids with incredible clarity and separation with tight and pounding bass, that has all the texture you'd ever want ... and all of that on 0db gain with plenty of headroom.

System : May -> (balanced) -> Oor + Hypsos (22v) -> (balanced ofc) -> TC

Oor may not max out Susvara, but to my ears it pretty much maxes out the TC.

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #2,894 of 3,851
I recently moved back from Susvara to TC, and while 1266 TC is really good on tubes (HA6a in my case), it really flies on the Ferrum stack. It's interesting that Oor was developed with Susvara in mind and while it drives Sus really well, it absolutely nails the TC. TC is a really sharp headphone and H+O doesn't blunt it, so it will punish any sharp recording ... play well recorded music however and it is sublime. Sharp, articulate, but not fatiguing or overdone treble, spacious mids with incredible clarity and separation with tight and pounding bass, that has all the texture you'd ever want ... and all of that on 0db gain with plenty of headroom.

I just heard the TC on my Oor/Hypsos to Holo May KTE stack last week when my friend brought his TCs over. It was very impressive indeed! Even with the tuning not being my preference there is some undeniable chemistry/synergy in the TC-Oor pairing. I'm surprised I don't see more Abyss owners running the Oor/Hypsos stack. The only pairing I have heard thus far that I like more would be with the Stealth and Expanse, but I might be biased.

Nov 19, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #2,895 of 3,851

We have a very similar setup.

To start with oor and May have a fantastic synergy.

And I haven’t found a set of cans which doesn’t pair well with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back