Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Apr 2, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #1,336 of 3,858
Sure, but let's not pretend that it makes it comparable to any TOTL headphone. It turns a $300 headphone into one that sounds like a $750 $1500 headphone.
FTFY…[Reg. TM; bcowen: 2021]

Apr 2, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #1,337 of 3,858
If I had to listen to cans without EQ, I would take HD650 over all HD800 variants, all HFMs and most of the LCDs. This is one of the many reasons why many $1k+ headphones are super stupid as they don't perform better than HD650 in every way. Most of them f up some portion of the sound that EQ becomes a must.

Also, that 3 blob soundstage can be fixed with a big amp, drive balanced and an expensive source.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #1,338 of 3,858
If I had to listen to cans without EQ, I would take HD650 over all HD800 variants, all HFMs and most of the LCDs. This is one of the many reasons why many $1k+ headphones are super stupid as they don't perform better than HD650 in every way. Most of them f up some portion of the sound that EQ becomes a must.

Also, that 3 blob soundstage can be fixed with a big amp, drive balanced and an expensive source.

I can definitely appreciate your opinion. The hi fi audio hobby is quite subjective and entirely personal allowing every individual to find what works best for them. HD650 aren't my favorite; I had them for about 6 months and then changed pretty quickly after that. Would've been cheaper that way!

Still, I can't fully subscribe to the notion of calling a grouping of headphones super stupid because of the fact that this hobby is so personal. They can and do perform "better"... to different individuals. I would take the Arya over the 650 and the 800s. Sound-wise I'd take many of the Audeze headphones, too.

Performance can go beyond sound, too; fit and finish, along with comfort encompass a pair of headphones performance. Unfortunately it seems Audeze headphones don't place nice with my head, so their sound performance is irrelevant since I can't seem to wear them for too, too long.

Apr 2, 2022 at 4:47 AM Post #1,339 of 3,858
I would take the Arya over the 650
I can definitely agree with this. The Arya Stealth (or my D8k) is inherently a more enjoyable experience for me, but I think the strength of the 650 is that it can hold its own on a level where when I've had to switch from the Arya (or my D8k) to the 650 I was still able to really enjoy myself and it didn't feel exactly like a "downgrade" it was more like I was enjoying a different sound signature for a while and I was cool with that. This is all at least as far as the Ferrum stack is concerned, I might have different feelings on a different stack, so who knows lmao.

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #1,340 of 3,858
Lets not forget the Hypsos OOR is such a wonderful amp that can easily handel any headphones out there, from high demanding plannars to high impedance headphones. This amp is so special that makes any headphone sings and release their full potential. The OOR have enough power to make the both plannar up to the Susvara and HD 6XX bass hit and slams.

Apr 2, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #1,341 of 3,858
Lets not forget the Hypsos OOR is such a wonderful amp that can easily handel any headphones out there, from high demanding plannars to high impedance headphones. This amp is so special that makes any headphone sings and release their full potential. The OOR have enough power to make the both plannar up to the Susvara and HD 6XX bass hit and slams.
I agree. I have been cycling through with all of my headphones. Susvara, Utopia, ZMF Verite Closed, HD800S, HE6, HD600.

It's best with Susvara, Utopia and HE6. I still prefer the ZMF VC and HD800S with my tube amp, but they still sound great. Of all the solid state amps I've paired my VC with, this is close to the best.

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #1,342 of 3,858
I’ve seen a few posts (probably from the same person) about the ifi elite being better than the Hypsos. Anyone else have an opinion on this? The ifi is cheaper and would probably hide under the desk…

Apr 2, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #1,343 of 3,858
I’ve seen a few posts (probably from the same person) about the ifi elite being better than the Hypsos. Anyone else have an opinion on this? The ifi is cheaper and would probably hide under the desk…
The elite is a few hundred. If you have a hypsos already just buy one on Amazon to try and return if it doesn't

Apr 2, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #1,344 of 3,858
The elite is a few hundred. If you have a hypsos already just buy one on Amazon to try and return if it doesn't
The iFi power supply comes in 15v and 24v I believe, so you would need to make sure you got the higher voltage one.

Apr 3, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #1,345 of 3,858

That would be my sincere advice as well. Luckily returns are easy these days!

The iFi power supply comes in 15v and 24v I believe, so you would need to make sure you got the higher voltage one.

There are four versions available: 5V/5.0A, 12V/4.0A, 15V/3.5A and 24V/2.5A. Hope this helps, thanks!

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 4, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #1,347 of 3,858
Did you use the P6pro with 4.4 to XLR?
I own a P6pro and I'm struggling whether to go for oor/hypsos or erco/hypsos as I do not own a separate DAC at the moment..
Correct. I used a 4.4 to xlr. One thing I will say about the p6p though is that I don't recommend it for use as a USB dac. It is several tiers worse as a USB dac than it is over internal storage (internal storage is the best portable dac I've heard). If you plan to get a better dac later then I think using p6p even over USB makes a lot of sense. If you don't I think it comes down to usecase.

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #1,348 of 3,858
Did you use the P6pro with 4.4 to XLR?
I own a P6pro and I'm struggling whether to go for oor/hypsos or erco/hypsos as I do not own a separate DAC at the moment..
If you are looking at pure amp performance, OOR will be better than the Erco. I would actually sugest you could get the OOR Hypsos stack first , then use the P6pro internal storage of music file, to output a lineout signal to OOR for music play back. Later on, you can get a dedicated DAC, to pair with OOR. A few good choice as OOR users here are using are Holo may , holo spring, dCS DACs. They are all solid choice.

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #1,349 of 3,858
If you are looking at pure amp performance, OOR will be better than the Erco. I would actually sugest you could get the OOR Hypsos stack first , then use the P6pro internal storage of music file, to output a lineout signal to OOR for music play back. Later on, you can get a dedicated DAC, to pair with OOR. A few good choice as OOR users here are using are Holo may , holo spring, dCS DACs. They are all solid choice.
This comes down to usecase and busget though. If OP doesn't want to spend more than 4k total and need to use their computer as a source it may well be a better idea to go erco. Alternatively it would be super feasible to get erco and then upgrade to oor later and sell erco to fund the dac. Ultimately I think there are a lot of solid options for OP

Apr 4, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #1,350 of 3,858
A few good choice as OOR users here are using are Holo may , holo spring, dCS DACs. They are all solid choice.

Lol. That's like saying these guys are using $3k, $5K and $10k options. :darthsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back