Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Feb 4, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #841 of 3,851
I have the 3xp, GT and Oor at home right now. Oor is the most detailed and natural of the bunch with superior mid range detail and top end tonality to my ears. Depends if you're looking to get it with Hypsos at some point or not. Oor without the Hypsos is half of the package sonically. Also depends on your cans, the better resolution set you have the more of an upgrade Oor + Hypsos would be.
Thanks! Would you place the Soloist at the same level of the Oor if not using Hypsos? It would be used almost exclusively with Susvaras.

Feb 4, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #842 of 3,851
Ooof, Susvara, in that case get Oor and save up for Hypsos 🤷‍♂️ with this level of sets you're in for apenny, in for a pound :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #843 of 3,851
Ooof, Susvara, in that case get Oor and save up for Hypsos 🤷‍♂️ with this level of sets you're in for the penny, in for the pound :sweat_smile:
Another amp I just recently got that is right up there with the Ferrum Stack is the Enleum 23R - after that's been broken in properly, I'm going to have to have a contest between them to see which I prefer - maybe I'll keep both, but I've also got my tube amps, so I gotta cut something loose!

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #845 of 3,851
From the front pic, it seems that it has an IR receiver (between 4,4 input and input selector) but no remote controller is mentioned in the specifications (I took a look at Ferrum web) :rolling_eyes:
I didn't even know that this 'ERCO' was out! So it's basically an Oor with a DAC incorporated into it for an extra $400? I'd be interested to know how that sounds compared to say, a Holo May DAC into a Hypsos/Oor stack.

Feb 4, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #846 of 3,851
I didn't even know that this 'ERCO' was out! So it's basically an Oor with a DAC incorporated into it for an extra $400? I'd be interested to know how that sounds compared to say, a Holo May DAC into a Hypsos/Oor stack.
Yes, it was launched this week. Looks good but I wonder about that "receiver".

Feb 4, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #847 of 3,851
I've been having my eye on the Ferrum stack for late this year (paying off the TT2 and LCD-5). The Erco looks enticing, but since I have the TT2, the stack still looks more delicious.

Feb 4, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #849 of 3,851
From the front pic, it seems that it has an IR receiver (between 4,4 input and input selector) but no remote controller is mentioned in the specifications (I took a look at Ferrum web) :rolling_eyes:
That looks like a power light not an IR receiver to me, IR receivers areblack (well really really dark red actually for the Infrared light transmission) and not greenish.

EDIT: I was correct that is a power light, just saw this unboxing video on the Ferrum site:

Ferrum ERCO Unboxing - It just become a thing!

A 2nd EDIT: I am happy to see them do away with the 4-pin XLR balanced output even though most of my headphone cables are 4-pin, the industry needs to go away from 4-pin for headphone connections, it is overkill, over consuming (materials wise), and over with now that 4.4 balanced is adopted from the AM Cable Community!

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #850 of 3,851
Yeah fully balanced and all that. But i saw the soundnews youtube video saying rca inputs gets the full power output at least. Maybe gets same signal path also and is as quiet?
Yes, the signal is converted to balanced inside then converted back to single-ended at the output. I find the balanced outputs have a wider bandwidth, better dynamic range and, more neutral-sounding in my system. YMMV, choose whichever sounds better to you. :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #851 of 3,851
Hi,

Has anyone tried using the Hypsos to power any of their other audio components? And if so, did the Hypsos make an appreciable difference?

Just curious, really.

Thanks.
I'm using the Hypsos on my ultraRendu too. It's better than their own Signature Power Supply. The background is quieter, the music has better more dynamic range, the bass and highs have more subtleties and seem to be rendered more naturally. It got even better when they updated the firmware, all of the above was slightly enhanced. YMMV.

Feb 5, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #852 of 3,851
That looks like a power light not an IR receiver to me, IR receivers areblack (well really really dark red actually for the Infrared light transmission) and not greenish.

EDIT: I was correct that is a power light, just saw this unboxing video on the Ferrum site:

Ferrum ERCO Unboxing - It just become a thing!

A 2nd EDIT: I am happy to see them do away with the 4-pin XLR balanced output even though most of my headphone cables are 4-pin, the industry needs to go away from 4-pin for headphone connections, it is overkill, over consuming (materials wise), and over with now that 4.4 balanced is adopted from the AM Cable Community!

No remote, no fun! :slight_frown: They would do like Flux labs and sell apart (or for the same price) a remote with an IR receiver.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:02 AM Post #853 of 3,851
Purchased the oor yesterday and it's a stunning upgrade to my integrated Luxman 507ux headphone stage.
However, it runs pretty hot and there is no on/off. Is it designed to always be on? I have been unplugging it as I'm reluctant to leave it on 24/7

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #854 of 3,851
Purchased the oor yesterday and it's a stunning upgrade to my integrated Luxman 507ux headphone stage.
However, it runs pretty hot and there is no on/off. Is it designed to always be on? I have been unplugging it as I'm reluctant to leave it on 24/7
If you put the switch in the center position it is “off“. The light may still be burning (which you can change too btw) but it should not be running hot. Sounds like you don’t have the Hypsos. There is an on/off button on the back of the Hypsos that I use to switch the stack off completely.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #855 of 3,851
Thanks MatW. Just read up about it myself. I have a Hypsos but it has been powering an innuos zen mini3 for 12 mths and is an amazing product. To use it with oor would clearly be an improvement for hp listening but would diminish my 2 ch setup which gets 50% of my listening time. I will def be adding a 2nd Hypsos at some point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back