Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Jan 6, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #706 of 3,846
I take it there's no way of controlling the volume to the headphone outs and the XLR outputs on the back separately? I have studio monitors and so there's no volume control on those.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #708 of 3,846
@Jarmel
You unplug headphones and the volume will attenuate your monitors if they are connected to the XLR outs on the rear of the amp. It’s a preamp and headphone amp both.
My concern is if I want to use the headphones, would it disable output to the XLR outputs on the back or would it push audio through both the headphones outputs and XLR outputs at the same time.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #709 of 3,846
My concern is if I want to use the headphones, would it disable output to the XLR outputs on the back or would it push audio through both the headphones outputs and XLR outputs at the same time.
"The potentiometer built into the OOR affects the volume of not only the headphones, but also the RCA and XLR outputs. We recommend disconnecting headphones from the OOR if they are not used for a longer period of time, and especially if you want to control volume on RCA or XLR outputs (when an amplifier or active speakers are connected)."

https://ferrum.audio/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/OOR_manual.pdf

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #710 of 3,846
"The potentiometer built into the OOR affects the volume of not only the headphones, but also the RCA and XLR outputs. We recommend disconnecting headphones from the OOR if they are not used for a longer period of time, and especially if you want to control volume on RCA or XLR outputs (when an amplifier or active speakers are connected)."

https://ferrum.audio/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/OOR_manual.pdf
I apologize if I'm not being clear. I essentially want output only to the headphone outputs when headphones are connected in, even if the XLR outputs from Oor are plugged in to the studio monitors. I understand if I disconnect the headphones I can still control the volume to the monitors.

I don't want output to both the XLR/RCA outputs and the headphone outputs at the same time and I'm trying to determine if the amp would know "Hey headphones are plugged in, cut audio to the XLR/RCA outputs and don't do preamp stuff. I'll just be a headphone amp and that's it". My Balancing Act for example had a dedicated switch on it where I would flip it depending on if I wanted it to be a preamp or headphone amplifier.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #711 of 3,846
I apologize if I'm not being clear. I essentially want output only to the headphone outputs when headphones are connected in, even if the XLR outputs from Oor are plugged in to the studio monitors. I understand if I disconnect the headphones I can still control the volume to the monitors.

I don't want output to both the XLR/RCA outputs and the headphone outputs at the same time and I'm trying to determine if the amp would know "Hey headphones are plugged in, cut audio to the XLR/RCA outputs and don't do preamp stuff. I'll just be a headphone amp and that's it". My Balancing Act for example had a dedicated switch on it where I would flip it depending on if I wanted it to be a preamp or headphone amplifier.
Gotcha sorry, I power on or off my Dynaudio Monitors at my office when not using them with the switch on the rear, it is a bit inconvenient for sure. I haven't used the Oor at my home office as a Pre due to having LSX's on my desk. I assume it is same as my office setup though and would require independent power on/off to the monitors.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #712 of 3,846
I apologize if I'm not being clear. I essentially want output only to the headphone outputs when headphones are connected in, even if the XLR outputs from Oor are plugged in to the studio monitors.
Yes, and that is what I showed you from the manual - That both headphone and rear outputs are live at the same time, from how it's read.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #713 of 3,846
@GoldenOne's review says PSU noise leakage with the HYPSOS and for IEMs, to best use without the HYPSOS.
FWIW, I'm using Hypsos + Oor for IEMs, and it's phenomenally good. There might be an academic advantage re: mains noise, but H+O is still one if the cleanest sources I've heard with, well, everything I've thrown at it, including IEMs.

About the only caveat is that ultra sensitive IEMs like Andromeda Gold and MAD24s pick up some noise even with the pot off. However, there is still ample usable range on the dial, and once you get off minimum volume both of these IEMs sound great with black backgrounds.

Ever since I saw Start Trek II the Wrath of Khan back in the day and they put those Earworms in their helmets I can’t stomach anything in my ears except beautiful music.
Trivia: that "ear worm" is called the Ceti Eel, which is the name I gave my Kann Cube. 😏

khan-kirk.jpg

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #714 of 3,846

I must admit, as I look around the various higher end head-amp / pre-amp combos, I'm surprised that this flexibility isn't a standard feature given how useful it is for a desktop setup.

The Pass HPA-1 and Woo WA-22 and 33 seem to have the option to select between headphone output and pre output with a single click / button press. As does the Burson Funk (albeit it is speaker out rather than pre out), and it's wonderfully convenient on my desk. However, none of those have safety features to prevent damage to ears / speakers / cans.

The implementation that looks most appealing to me is the Benchmark HPA4, which (at least from what I can tell online) looks to have independently adjustable volume levels for the headphone / pre outputs, and the output selection (pre / headphone / both) can be toggled via an easy click of the volume knob or via the touch screen. The new Burson Soloist 3X GT seems to have similar functionality, but with switching buried in a menu system (making it less appealing to me in terms of practicality.....and to me a missed opportunity given that the "screen orientation" toggle somewhat bizarrely gets its own dedicated button on the front!).

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:45 PM Post #715 of 3,846
The implementation that looks most appealing to me is the Benchmark HPA4, which (at least from what I can tell online) looks to have independently adjustable volume levels for the headphone / pre outputs, and the output selection (pre / headphone / both) can be toggled via an easy click of the volume knob or via the touch screen.
The Benchmark HPA4 has the best volume control system I have seen, it's sublime.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #716 of 3,846
greetings

I wonder if adding 2 hypsos to my chain would be advised

orr with a hypsos
ifi pro idsd with hypsos

or would it not be needed to add another hypsos to my ifi dac

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #717 of 3,846
greetings

I wonder if adding 2 hypsos to my chain would be advised

orr with a hypsos
ifi pro idsd with hypsos

or would it not be needed to add another hypsos to my ifi dac
Doesn't Ifi Pro idsd yet come with a decent PSU?
The signature edition has been updated AFAIK

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #718 of 3,846
Doesn't Ifi Pro idsd yet come with a decent PSU?
The signature edition has been updated AFAIK
i have the older ifi pro idsd, which comes with a power supply, but the question would it be a good idea to add another hypsos to my ifi pro idsd

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #719 of 3,846
i have the older ifi pro idsd, which comes with a power supply, but the question would it be a good idea to add another hypsos to my ifi pro idsd
Maybe @OneEyedHito has tried using Hypsos with his new Ifi Pro Ican Signature before and could report about significant differences? Am not aware of anybody using the IDSD Pro though in this thread so far but might be wrong

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #720 of 3,846
I didn’t get to try that pairing but at $300 usd I’d just get the ifi elite from their Amazon store. @iFi audio has stated that the upgrades are significant using the elite ps and I believe them because the Signature was the same step up as they said to my ears. ifi makes great gear, for the money I’d say they are one of the best we have in HP audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back