Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Nov 5, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #346 of 3,854
I am also starting to like it more and more. Currently listening with the Qutest and the LCD XC, and it sounds very good...

With IEMs I wish it were a little more silent, but overall it works well with IEMs too. I do miss a 4.4 mm port. The Chinese XLR adapter I bought broke down already, need to find an alternative.
I ordered a pigtail adapter of 4 pin xlr to 4.4 pentagon from Effect Audio. I am sure it has top level quality. Will post here when the pigtail adaper arrives.

Nov 5, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #347 of 3,854
Recently I tried the power amp mode on Utopia and using dCS Rossini for pre-amp. The OOR is too powerful for the Utopia in this configuration. I had to set the output voltage of the dCS Rossini DAC to 0.2 v. Other settings are too loud and I have to set the gain of the DAC to really low level.

I can confirm that the OOR hypsos stack has literally a tone of power. I would only recomend using the power amp mode for plannars such as 1266 etc...

Screenshot_20211102_222153_uk.co.dcsltd.remote.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #348 of 3,854
Nov 11, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #349 of 3,854
So sorry, no issues with mine though I hardly used it, otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it 🙄

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #350 of 3,854
So sorry, no issues with mine though I hardly used it, otherwise I wouldn't have recommended it 🙄
Not your fault obviously... :) The product is actually rated quite well, so I guess I was just unlucky, but the way the company is handling a complaint is why I would advise against buying this.

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #351 of 3,854
Ferrum hypsos and oor look good, I don’t have a reason to ditch gsx mk2 at all, but if I did….

Nov 11, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #352 of 3,854
Does this amp have any colour? Or is it just for power? ClassA sound or Burson sweetness is what I’m looking for

Nov 12, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #353 of 3,854
Nov 13, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #354 of 3,854
Does this amp have any colour? Or is it just for power? ClassA sound or Burson sweetness is what I’m looking for
IMO the OOR does not have much coloration. The amp strength is the about clarity. While not being bright or hot in the treble region at all. Fatigue free listening epxerience.

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #356 of 3,854
If Burson is what you're looking for then I'd just go for a Burson (assuming you can get one where you live).
I already own a Burson, but there is a sweet deal in my area on the Oor, and didn’t want to read everything about it to find what I’m looking for.

Reason I’m using Burson for reference is because the sub bass improvements coming from A90 (which is also a clean sounding amp) was insane. Are there any sub bass roll off with Oor?

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #358 of 3,854
Thanks for quick response, do I need to get the Hypsos too?

Nov 13, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #359 of 3,854
Thanks for quick response, do I need to get the Hypsos too?
Yes. Without it the isn’t nearly as large of a difference between the Oor and the Soloist 3XP to me. Which brings up the point that Burson should explore the option for an external supply also. The Hyposis will power all of Bursons gear though so the Hyposis is DEFINITELY worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #360 of 3,854
I already own a Burson, but there is a sweet deal in my area on the Oor, and didn’t want to read everything about it to find what I’m looking for.

Reason I’m using Burson for reference is because the sub bass improvements coming from A90 (which is also a clean sounding amp) was insane. Are there any sub bass roll off with Oor?

I got both A90 and OOR Hypsos Stack, The OOR just beat the A90 in every aspect. Width and depth of the stage, bass detail, clarity, separation. OOR wins basically in every aspect, except the lack of the 4.4 mm jack on the OOR. In your situation, the Hypsos is really a value purchase because you can use the Hypsos with your Burson and your OOR. The Hypsos is miles ahead of a standard DC power brick, especially when you are using it to power an Analog signal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back