Ferrum OOR - headphone amplifier with a soul ?
Dec 11, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #526 of 3,858
The voltage doesn't impact the output volume for headphones, so no danger for those.
The voltage range is preset for a range of amps and you can trust what Ferrum specified for their own product so I wouldn't worry.
I've read in some review about a potentially shorter live spam of OOR if always fed with 30V, don't know if that is true

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #527 of 3,858
The voltage doesn't impact the output volume for headphones, so no danger for those.
The voltage range is preset for a range of amps and you can trust what Ferrum specified for their own product so I wouldn't worry.
I've read in some review about a potentially shorter live spam of OOR if always fed with 30V, don't know if that is true
Could be but I doubt Ferrum would have a preset that can harm the amp. Ill probably settle somewhere around 26v mark and 22v long term.

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #528 of 3,858
Krude, I find your impressions spot on.
Especially about the characteristics of the stage and the detailed but natural signature.
As I wrote before switching between my M30 the OOR stage seems to be a bit more narrow but if you then listen more closely you recognize that it's deeper, the response is tighter and the instruments sound more real.

You need to listen longer and feed good quality recordings with spatial information and dynamics to appreciate the full OOR capabilities.

With TC and Susvara I am feeling that I am getting to the limits of what these can provide and am currently only thinking about upgrading my source midterm to get a more engaging and organic presentation than my Shanling M30 dual AKM implementation.

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #529 of 3,858
Coming back to the topic of possible DAC pairings of OOR I am trying to push myself to wait for the Ferrum DAC/streamer to finish and be rolled out.
Nevertheless I have started creating a list of possible DAC/streamers that might fit OOR/Hyosos in terms of size for stacking them up (remember my small footprint requirements) and listed the DAC / preamp output voltage specs.
I've listed only the XLR voltages as I recommend using OOR balanced at least for Susvara / TC.
Personally I'd call anything > 4V acceptable, anything > 4,8V ideal if you want to have more headroom for Susvara / TC + opt to apply additional software equalising requiring additional volume again.
I haven't listened to any of these, so don't call this a list of good synergy DACs, just as a starting point for my own investigations.

Ferrum OOR measurements: 8.6 x 8.1 x 2.0 inch / 21.7 x 20.6 x 5 cm

- Mytek Brooklyn Bridge: 20,6 x 4,4 x 21,8 cm (should be the closest to the Ferrum stack size)
XLR: 9,75V RMS @ 0 dBFS

- T&A DAC 8 DSD: 9,0 x 27 x 27 cm
XLR: 5,0 Veff / 22 Ohm

- Denafrips ARES II: 21,5 x 23 x 4,5 cm
XLR: 4.0Vrms, 1250 Ω

- M2Tech Young Mk IV DAC
XLR: 5Vrms or 10Vrms

- Chord Hugo TT2: 23.5 x 5.2 x 23.8cm
Output Hi gain (Ph/XLR) 8.5V / 17V
Output Lo gain (Ph/XLR) 3V / 6V
Output DAC (Ph/XLR) 2.5V / 5V

In terms of my desire for trying out pairings sound wise this list would be bigger but unfortunately I cannot fit some rack sized equipment comfortably on my limited desk.
Otherwise I'd love to try the likes of Holo Audio May / Spring 3 KTE / ROCKNA Wavelight, etc.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #530 of 3,858
Coming back to the topic of possible DAC pairings of OOR I am trying to push myself to wait for the Ferrum DAC/streamer to finish and be rolled out.
Nevertheless I have started creating a list of possible DAC/streamers that might fit OOR/Hyosos in terms of size for stacking them up (remember my small footprint requirements) and listed the DAC / preamp output voltage specs.
I've listed only the XLR voltages as I recommend using OOR balanced at least for Susvara / TC.
Personally I'd call anything > 4V acceptable, anything > 4,8V ideal if you want to have more headroom for Susvara / TC + opt to apply additional software equalising requiring additional volume again.
I haven't listened to any of these, so don't call this a list of good synergy DACs, just as a starting point for my own investigations.

- Mytek Brooklyn Bridge: 20,6 x 4,4 x 21,8 cm (should be the closest to the Ferrum stack size)

- M2Tech Young Mk IV DAC

In terms of my desire for trying out pairings sound wise this list would be bigger but unfortunately I cannot fit some rack sized equipment comfortably on my limited desk.
Otherwise I'd love to try the likes of Holo Audio May / Spring 3 KTE / ROCKNA Wavelight, etc.
TT2 gets my vote

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #531 of 3,858
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #532 of 3,858
It's good (I owned it) but kind of a waste of the amp stage, when paired with the OOR.
yep, preamp stage would suffice but unfortunately no Chord model in between TT2 and Qutest and as you know Qutest wouldn't satisfy my wish for enough headroom with Susvara with its 3 V RCA or a preamp needs to be inserted which would be again too much footprint for my ideal final stack.

In terms of footprint and functionality the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge (II announced to come out in December) pretty much nails it with Roon support, MQA, high voltage XLR outputs but SQ wise I think that a similarly priced used Chord device or Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE will still be better...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #533 of 3,858
It's good (I owned it) but kind of a waste of the amp stage, when paired with the OOR.
True. Now that I have the Ampsandsound Rockwell and it pairs so well with the Susvara, not sure if I need the Ferrum Orr anymore.

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #534 of 3,858
yep, preamp stage would suffice but unfortunately no Chord model in between TT2 and Qutest and as you know Qutest wouldn't satisfy my wish for enough headroom with Susvara with its 3 V RCA or a preamp needs to be inserted which would be again too much footprint for my ideal final stack
I think the Qutest will provide enough power in most cases for Susvara. With TT2 you're paying three times the price. Maybe a Hugo 2? But you know my position..😊

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #535 of 3,858

- M2Tech Young Mk IV DAC

@FooFighter I'm running Chord Hugo TT2 out of AuroraSound HEADA and I can't think of better amp pairing honestly speaking unless you want to drive some truly power hungry cans. As for Wavelight I've been also been listening to it using HEADA, but keep in mind that Wavelight shows isn't true potential on speaker systems IMHO. Wavelight - due to its filters - requires a really transparent amp, same case with TT2. I guess you can pair Wavelight with any amp and be quite happy about it as long as you like smooth sound. Probably some dynamics and sound stage or details retrieval can be worst if paired with wrong amp, but the sound will still be pleasant and musical.

When TT2 is run without upsampling (either M Scaler nor software based like HQP or Audirvana) you do not want to add sterile amp since the sound may become too dry, at the same time you need an amp that really beats TT2 amp section while not adding (too much) distortion.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #536 of 3,858
True. Now that I have the Ampsandsound Rockwell and it pairs so well with the Susvara, not sure if I need the Ferrum Orr anymore.
beautiful device!
on paper it looks like weaker with less wattage but wattage isn't everything for Susvara, is it?
Size is also more rack sized as I see

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #537 of 3,858
I wouldn't pay like 5k bucks without getting a return option or really a multiple consolation by people who paired such a device with OOR and Hypsos and Susvara and TC and said it's good :wink:

So anyway I am just dreaming about my next update but can be a happy camper with my current setup in the meantime

Dec 11, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #538 of 3,858
In terms of footprint and functionality the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge (II announced to come out in December) pretty much nails it with Roon support, MQA, high voltage XLR outputs but SQ wise I think that a similarly priced used Chord device or Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE will still be better...
@FooFighter when Mytek Brooklyn Bridge II will see the daylight it may be awesome AIO proposal IMHO. Really looking forward to it.

I have a Mytek Brooklyn Bridge and I love it. While it is less musical that Chord Hugo TT2 and Rockna Wavelight and has sometimes a bit more fatiguing sound signature than Wavelight it still beats both those dacs in terms of functionality and it plays perfectly well with my upsampling CD transport through SPIDIF. IMHO great dac for critical listening of records with really great headamp section. The only drawback is a need of special cable for xlr connection.

Dec 12, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #539 of 3,858
I would suggest Oor Hypsos owners to site the Hypsos to the left and the Oor amp to the right.

This moves the head unit away from the toroidal transformer which should give a small improvement on sound.

Secondly it’s already been mentioned but the units should be left on and not cycled on & off. (True of any gear).

Stacking should be avoided. My reason for stating this is I feel some people may not understand or think it makes any difference whatsoever. Having done some careful listening with power supply and head unit with my Naim gear I have noticed improvements using this method. Naim call it Brain (head units) and Braun (power amps or power supply)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back