Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
May 17, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #3,361 of 6,413
Nice reviews and impressions kyuuketsui and gnarlsagan. Enjoyed reading them.

They should use both of your pictures on the Aurisonics Facebook page. Much better than what they have up IMHO =/

May 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #3,363 of 6,413
popcorn.gif

May 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #3,365 of 6,413
I ran home to grab my ASG-2...I just couldn't bear the wait anymore.

Firstly, this is truly an Aurisonics product. If you heard the original, then you're going to have a slight idea how the second iteration sounds.

I'm not going to say much about the sound right now, but I will remark on the massive difference a tiny design change can make.
Those of you who own(ed) the ASG-1 will know the pain that can be caused by the little nub at the top of the iem, if your ears are on the smaller side of average. With this nub gone, I can officially say that the ASG-2 is the most comfortable iem I've ever used. Combine that with the great Westone style cable, and you have the perfect on-the-go iem. You really do have to watch your surroundings though. I can't even hear myself type this on my noisy work keyboard.

As for the sound, it really is the ASG-1.2 with a tweeter attached. The mids remain among the transparent I've ever heard. I haven't A/B'ed with the Senn IE800 yet (the IE800 holds that crown), but I imagine they're very close. 

May 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #3,366 of 6,413
Quote:
Those of you who own(ed) the ASG-1 will know the pain that can be caused by the little nub at the top of the iem, if your ears are on the smaller side of average. With this nub gone, I can officially say that the ASG-2 is the most comfortable iem I've ever used.  

This is great news! This nub was the only thing that ever made me want to remove the ASG-1.2s.

May 17, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3,367 of 6,413
Quote:

Firstly, this is truly an Aurisonics product. If you heard the original, then you're going to have a slight idea how the second iteration sounds.

I'm not going to say much about the sound right now, but I will remark on the massive difference a tiny design change can make.
Those of you who own(ed) the ASG-1 will know the pain that can be caused by the little nub at the top of the iem, if your ears are on the smaller side of average. With this nub gone, I can officially say that the ASG-2 is the most comfortable iem I've ever used. Combine that with the great Westone style cable, and you have the perfect on-the-go iem. You really do have to watch your surroundings though. I can't even hear myself type this on my noisy work keyboard.

As for the sound, it really is the ASG-1.2 with a tweeter attached. The mids remain among the transparent I've ever heard. I haven't A/B'ed with the Senn IE800 yet (the IE800 holds that crown), but I imagine they're very close. 

If you have the newest iteration, I'd advise to hold off on the remark on it being 1.2 sounding with tweeters, unless they retweaked the dynamic to work with the two tweeters. I'm not really sure, but if they are using the same tuning as the 1.3s there could be some burn in that will smooth out the sound a bit. My initial impressions of the sound of the 1.3s was on par with that of other 1.2 reviews. This clearly has changed. 

I can't wait to hear your impressions though.

And I'm totally with you on the comfort

May 17, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #3,368 of 6,413
Quote:

If you have the newest iteration, I'd advise to hold off on the remark on it being 1.2 sounding with tweeters, unless they retweaked the dynamic to work with the two tweeters. I'm not really sure, but if they are using the same tuning as the 1.3s there could be some burn in that will smooth out the sound a bit. My initial impressions of the sound of the 1.3s was on par with that of other 1.2 reviews. This clearly has changed. 

I can't wait to hear your impressions though.

And I'm totally with you on the comfort

I don't mean that in a negative way at all. The treble is frickin beautiful on some tracks. I don't know if you saw my original ASG-1 review (http://www.head-fi.org/t/604547/review-aurisonics-asg-1-diamond-in-the-rough), but I really liked the 1.2. My only complaint with was the treble, or relative lack thereof. 

BTW, I don't really believe in burn-in for drastic changes in sound. I believe the materials can break in, but it won't make a bassy iem into an ER4S. Either way, any improvements the ASG-2 may offer will be pure bonus.

May 17, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #3,369 of 6,413
+1 on improved fit and comfort compared to 1.2. I posted a pic of the ASG-2 in my ears a few pages back and they a fit seriously like a glove.

May 17, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3,370 of 6,413
Quote:
I'm not really sure, but if they are using the same tuning as the 1.3s there could be some burn in that will smooth out the sound a bit.

I feel like the 1.3/2 dynamics are tuned to be flatter (while still dark), and I definitely agree with your impressions of how they open up and that initial mid-bass bloat gets much better with burn-in. My only regret is what I perceive as dramatically less sub-bass quantity in my 2s vs my G-1.2s. I'm not sure if this is the tuning of the 1.3/2 dynamics, or specifically the tuning of the 2s, but I sure miss the 1.2 rumble. :[ Though the 2s can reach lower than just about any other phones I have, they seem to lose a lot of energy on the way, staying focused more around 60-100 Hz.

May 17, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #3,371 of 6,413
Quote:

I don't mean that in a negative way at all. The treble is frickin beautiful on some tracks. I don't know if you saw my original ASG-1 review (http://www.head-fi.org/t/604547/review-aurisonics-asg-1-diamond-in-the-rough), but I really liked the 1.2. My only complaint with was the treble, or relative lack thereof. 

BTW, I don't really believe in burn-in for drastic changes in sound. I believe the materials can break in, but it won't make a bassy iem into an ER4S. Either way, any improvements the ASG-2 may offer will be pure bonus.

Drastic? No, perceivable? In this case yes. In the case of the ASG-1.3, they got less warm and a bit more balanced.
Quote:

I feel like the 1.3/2 dynamics are tuned to be flatter (while still dark), and I definitely agree with your impressions of how they open up and that initial mid-bass bloat gets much better with burn-in. My only regret is what I perceive as dramatically less sub-bass quantity in my 2s vs my G-1.2s. I'm not sure if this is the tuning of the 1.3/2 dynamics, or specifically the tuning of the 2s, but I sure miss the 1.2 rumble. :[ Though the 2s can reach lower than just about any other phones I have, they seem to lose a lot of energy on the way, staying focused more around 60-100 Hz.

That's what it seems to me. Overall the 1.3 seems to be a balanced set (though still warm), at least more so than the 1.2s which seemed to be bassier. I'm not sure if tuning changed for the 1.3 to the 2s.

Honestly, a bit of warmth is good. At least to me. 

May 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #3,372 of 6,413
Originally Posted by eke2k6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting.. so you found the ASG-2's bass & mid frequencies (nearly) as warm as they were on the ASZ-1.2?  That confirms that the current AS/G-2's tuning is different than the prototype/demo I heard last summer.  Looking forward to more impressions.. hope my AS-2 arrives this week/end or early next week.

May 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #3,373 of 6,413
Quote:

Interesting.. so you found the ASG-2's bass & mid frequencies (nearly) as warm as they were on the ASZ-1.2?  That confirms that the current AS/G-2's tuning is different than the prototype/demo I heard last summer.  Looking forward to more impressions.. hope my AS-2 arrives this week/end or early next week.

The bass for sure. The mids are pretty dry though.

I just hooked it up to the FPE amp, and it sounds a good deal more open. The bass seems more controlled as well.

May 17, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #3,374 of 6,413
Yeah I opened the bass port all the way and thought I was sitting in Busta Rhymes' escalade.

May 17, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,375 of 6,413
Quote:
Yeah I opened the bass port all the way and thought I was sitting in Busta Rhymes' escalade.

Yep. Not a gimmick at all. I was a bit dubious at first, given my experience with the IE8/80. Not the case here. Not in the least.

basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back