Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Mar 8, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #2,806 of 6,413
Alright maybe someone here can help me. I'm looking for a dedicated player as my iPhone is nearly full (not to mention the battery drain) and because I'd like to upgrade my bit-rates for the AS-2's. I'm not interested in the clip and think I'd like to try something other than apple.

I have a Sony A865 but I don't like the size or interface - sound is great. I've been looking at the Samsung galaxy media players because I can add a 32gb card ( possibly even 64gb) or possibly the Sony z 1050. This is basically my birthday present to myself as a reward for my upcoming half marathon. I know the Samsung 4.0 and 4.2 use the Wolfson audio chip and with the right apps, the sound quality should be good. Thoughts/suggestions? I'm really, really excited that the AS-2's have started shipping!!

For sound quality the fuze is the best option, and rock box can be easily loaded onto it for extensive sound customization. It has an sd slot as well.

If you go with a Samsung player be sure to read up on voodoo audio. It's an audio modification that improves the performance of the player's dac, and will work on the 4.0 galaxy player, but not the newer 5.0 version. If you don't plan on using the voodoo mod, then the fuze is the best bet.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #2,807 of 6,413
Quote:
For sound quality the fuze is the best option, and rock box can be easily loaded onto it for extensive sound customization. It has an sd slot as well.

If you go with a Samsung player be sure to read up on voodoo audio. It's an audio modification that improves the performance of the player's dac, and will work on the 4.0 galaxy player, but not the newer 5.0 version. If you don't plan on using the voodoo mod, then the fuze is the best bet.

I've been reading up on voodoo but wasn't sure if it's an app or something else you have to do - I'm not as good at the PMP/tech aspect of that. I'm much better with the iem's 
biggrin.gif

I was looking at the 4.0 or 4.2.  I really like the 5.0 but read that it has the Yamaha audio chip, as opposed to the Wolfson chip.  Not sure if that's a huge difference. 

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #2,808 of 6,413
Quote:
[size=medium]Update:[/size]
[size=medium]We have begun shipping the AS-2 as some are beginning to report. Please contact us by email or phone if you have any questions or concerns.[/size]

[size=medium]ASG-2 new valves arrived yesterday finally! After NAMM I made some changes to them to help ensure people could adjust them easier (more clearly), adjust the taper of the valve to ensure a more audio type taper in the machining of the valve surface as well as the amount of control of the driver dynamics. The valve is unlike anything ever made to my knowledge in the way that it works internally.  They are made on a 12 axis Swiss screw machine and are as precise internally as a Swiss watch. Since this is a generic and will need to be adjusted often depending on users needs and person to person we went with a more user friendly design on the ASG-2. [/size]

[size=medium]We look forward to everyone's thoughts and impressions on the AS-2 and ASG-2. [/size]

So if someone were to order an ASG-2 Stealth version today when would you expect them to ship?

Also, does anyone know what size Comply's will fit?

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #2,809 of 6,413
They are backed up still. They've only recently gotten the valve. They have Sale day orders and launch orders and the orders since launch to fill.
Quote:
So if someone were to order an ASG-2 Stealth version today when would you expect them to ship?

Also, does anyone know what size Comply's will fit?

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,810 of 6,413
Quote:
They are backed up still. They've only recently gotten the valve. They have Sale day orders and launch orders and the orders since launch to fill.

I'm well aware of all this as it was information which was within Aurisonics quote in my post. Are you implying they can't give an estimate when they'll be shipping new orders? If so, are you a representative of the company that is privy to this information?

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,811 of 6,413
Quote:

I'm well aware of all this as it was information which was within Aurisonics quote in my post. Are you implying they can't give an estimate when they'll be shipping new orders? If so, are you a representative of the company that is privy to this information?

He's simply implying you'd be queued to the back of a line, a possibly very long line.  So in many ways, yes, there really is no plausible way to get an ETA for when your stuff will ship.  Remember, although these aren't customs, they are manufactured like customs.

Mar 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #2,812 of 6,413
If that's the case that's fine, that's the information I'm looking for, but if they can't provide an eta then I would rather hear it from Aurisonics themselves.

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #2,813 of 6,413

Yes the 4.0 or 4.2 have the wolfson, which is why the voodoo mod works for them. Then implementation of the dac in those devices doesn't take advantage of the dacs potential. The voodoo mod unlocks a few features of the chip. The thread for it on xda will have a lot more info concerning the details. The mod requires rooting the device, which is pretty easy but takes a bit of reading.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2,815 of 6,413
Quote:
If you're really interested you should contact them directly. 

I did, I quoted and directed my question to the user Aurisonics who is the company rep here on the forums.

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #2,817 of 6,413
I've just compared the older batch ASG 1.2 (with the old ASG logo) and the newer batch ASG 1.2 (one with the new logo). I should call the newer batch ASG 1.2 as the 1.25.

The 1.25 strangely sounded noticeably brighter and IMO better because of it. I didn't like the 1.2 much since it was quite dark sounding. Note that the 1.25 still sounded very smooth and non-sibilant.
I'm not talking about GR07 mk1 vs mk2 type of little differences. The difference is more like Eterna v1 vs Eterna v2 gap of difference, which means it will be noticeable even to untrained ears.
The change in tuning put the ASG 1.25 as the best dynamic IEM in that price range for me. I'm gonna save up and upgrade from my GR07. 

I'm definitely curious about ASG 1.3. If that sounds at least as good as the 1.25, it will definitely be very competitive in the price range, especially for those who like dynamic driver IEM.  

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2,818 of 6,413
Quote:
You're right, because posting on a public forum is just the same as a personal email to the reps of the company.

Wow, this is really kind of ridiculous. Plenty of other MOT's interact with the user base in this way on the forums, if you need examples go look at the CEntrance HiFi-M8 thread in the Portable Source Gear forum, or pretty much any of the Heir threads.

And for your information I did ask the question in a conversation with Aurisonics but I didn't receive a reply. I figured they're busy and it either got missed or forgotten so I thought I would try this avenue, I didn't realize it would cause such a stir.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #2,819 of 6,413
First, 2,000th posts! :-D

now for some comments:
Quote:
I've just compared the older batch ASG 1.2 (with the old ASG logo) and the newer batch ASG 1.2 (one with the new logo). I should call the newer batch ASG 1.2 as the 1.25.

The 1.25 strangely sounded noticeably brighter and IMO better because of it. I didn't like the 1.2 much since it was quite dark sounding. Note that the 1.25 still sounded very smooth and non-sibilant.
I'm not talking about GR07 mk1 vs mk2 type of little differences. The difference is more like Eterna v1 vs Eterna v2 gap of difference, which means it will be noticeable even to untrained ears.
The change in tuning put the ASG 1.25 as the best dynamic IEM in that price range for me. I'm gonna save up and upgrade from my GR07. 

I'm definitely curious about ASG 1.3. If that sounds at least as good as the 1.25, it will definitely be very competitive in the price range, especially for those who like dynamic driver IEM.  

When did you order/receive those new ASG-1's? You sure you don't have the new dynamic driver in them?
Quote:
Wow, this is really kind of ridiculous. Plenty of other MOT's interact with the user base in this way on the forums, if you need examples go look at the CEntrance HiFi-M8 thread in the Portable Source Gear forum, or pretty much any of the Heir threads.

And for your information I did ask the question in a conversation with Aurisonics but I didn't receive a reply. I figured they're busy and it either got missed or forgotten so I thought I would try this avenue, I didn't realize it would cause such a stir.

Auriosnics does try to respond to questions here, but if you noticed they only recently had posts on Head-Fi after two or three weeks of not commenting. If you want a response in a reasonable amount of time from Aurisonics, you are best to email them directly. That's all that's being said. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #2,820 of 6,413
Quote:
Alright maybe someone here can help me. I'm looking for a dedicated player as my iPhone is nearly full (not to mention the battery drain) and because I'd like to upgrade my bit-rates for the AS-2's. I'm not interested in the clip and think I'd like to try something other than apple.

I have a Sony A865 but I don't like the size or interface - sound is great. I've been looking at the Samsung galaxy media players because I can add a 32gb card ( possibly even 64gb) or possibly the Sony z 1050. This is basically my birthday present to myself as a reward for my upcoming half marathon. I know the Samsung 4.0 and 4.2 use the Wolfson audio chip and with the right apps, the sound quality should be good. Thoughts/suggestions? I'm really, really excited that the AS-2's have started shipping!!

I have the Hisoundaudio Studio V and love it small size, very long battery life, and SQ is quite spectacular!   I'm sure even the lower cost new models of Hisoundaudio will even be a SQ jump over Apple products.   I've had the Ipod touch, Hifiman 601, and T51(Sflo2) and the Studio V is much cleaner in SQ with the only drawback a very basic interface but I don't mind that and with certain very sensitive IEM's you can hear some hiss which has been improved upon in subsequent models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back