Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Jan 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #2,494 of 6,413
Just wanted to relate my experience with the fit kit for my AS2 impressions.   Being my first time doing my own impressions, with the support of Project 86 and having had some done professionally by an audiologist, I felt certain I could do it on my own.   Well, looking in the mirror and trying to do it myself resulted in my not pushing in the foam plugs far enough so the part of the impression going to the second curve of the ear wasn't long enough for Aurisonics to get a good impression.   So I went  to my audiologist and she made some for the usual $50.   When inspecting my ear she commented on wax buildup, and upon removal of the "wax" found it was left over impression putty!   She said even with her experience she wouldn't try to do it herself, as looking in the mirror she said just didn't give the proper viewpoint.   Project86 has done it many times, so he finally got it, but for a newbie like me I will take the "RedGreen Show Man's Oath":   "I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess!!!"   I'm a DIY kind of guy for most things, but for ear impressions, I'll change and spend $50 for impressions by my audiologist, especially when spending $600 for a custom!!!!

Jan 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #2,495 of 6,413
Quote:
Just wanted to relate my experience with the fit kit for my AS2 impressions.   Being my first time doing my own impressions, with the support of Project 86 and having had some done professionally by an audiologist, I felt certain I could do it on my own.   Well, looking in the mirror and trying to do it myself resulted in my not pushing in the foam plugs far enough so the part of the impression going to the second curve of the ear wasn't long enough for Aurisonics to get a good impression.   So I went  to my audiologist and she made some for the usual $50.   When inspecting my ear she commented on wax buildup, and upon removal of the "wax" found it was left over impression putty!   She said even with her experience she wouldn't try to do it herself, as looking in the mirror she said just didn't give the proper viewpoint.   Project86 has done it many times, so he finally got it, but for a newbie like me I will take the "RedGreen Show Man's Oath":   "I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess!!!"   I'm a DIY kind of guy for most things, but for ear impressions, I'll change and spend $50 for impressions by my audiologist, especially when spending $600 for a custom!!!!

:) this is actually why I also went to an Audiologist.  Actually I was gad I did because I had earwax build-up in one ear that would have caused a major problem. While it didn't hurt, I found it mildly uncomfortable and was happy to have someone else take care of it for me. 

**edit: I'm really, really excited to get these and can't wait to hear them!!  Luckily (thankfully!) my current running/training schedule takes up a lot of my time so it passes a little quicker. 

Jan 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #2,496 of 6,413
I was considering ordering the kit just to see how good I can make them. I'd probably have a friend insert the foam blocks for me though. That part definitely seems difficult to do yourself.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,497 of 6,413
Alright, Flysweep confronted me on this and I have to tell the whole truth:  3 marbles came out along with the residue, 2 marbles from the left ear and 1 from the right, to be honest, I really can't remember who I sent the impressions to, plus I can't remember why I had them made...

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #2,498 of 6,413
lol I did my own impressions the first time. I ordered 4 or 5 kits for like $20.00 and  wasted 2 of them to get the hang of it. On the 3 and 4 one I got decent impressions out of them. But in the end the fit was too tight. Way too tight. Great isolation. Probably as good as you'll get from acrylic. This I opted to just spend the extra money and go to an audiologist hoping its a one hit wonder....

What did you do the first time soundbear when you went to have your impressions done for the JH5? Didn't you say the fit was too tight as well? This time I didn't open my mouth wide. Just used my index finger and rested my jaw on it.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2,499 of 6,413
Quote:
lol I did my own impressions the first time. I ordered 4 or 5 kits for like $20.00 and  wasted 2 of them to get the hang of it. On the 3 and 4 one I got decent impressions out of them. But in the end the fit was too tight. Way too tight. Great isolation. Probably as good as you'll get from acrylic. This I opted to just spend the extra money and go to an audiologist hoping its a one hit wonder....

What did you do the first time soundbear when you went to have your impressions done for the JH5? Didn't you say the fit was too tight as well? This time I didn't open my mouth wide. Just used my index finger and rested my jaw on it.

Following my posts???  Well, yes, the impression done by my audiologist for my first IEM, JH5, was actually too tight, or wide, actually too deep and wide(I'm speaking of impressions,LOL) , even after one return it was better but still not comfortable, however, the SQ was better than any universal I had.   And that impression was done with a 2" bite, this time the audiologist and I were talking so much she said a bite wasn't necessary!  

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #2,500 of 6,413
Quote:
Early? Lol, no. I ordered months ago but decided to wait for Aurisonics to change some manufacturing processes before having mine made.

Are you by any chance able/inclined to share what process changes you were waiting on?  This whole rapid iteration development model sure can be stressful for some of us "latest & greatest" obsessives.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #2,501 of 6,413
If you saw the advertisement here on Head-Fi for Aurisonics you'd see the last frame of the gif telling of some of the things we will learn about at NAMM. I think ShotgunShane is to be receiving the new driver made in-house as well as whatever other updates to the line will be.
Quote:
Are you by any chance able/inclined to share what process changes you were waiting on?  This whole rapid iteration development model sure can be stressful for some of us "latest & greatest" obsessives.

Wanted to share I listened to the AS-1's over 100 hours now. I think that happened faster than with the AS-2's

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,502 of 6,413
Quote:
If you saw the advertisement here on Head-Fi for Aurisonics you'd see the last frame of the gif telling of some of the things we will learn about at NAMM. I think ShotgunShane is to be receiving the new driver made in-house as well as whatever other updates to the line will be.

Quote:

What Kenman345 said.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #2,503 of 6,413
Trust me when I say the new driver is worth the wait. Tuning it's gonna be the same as the old driver, but you just get a great sense of ease that the new driver is a slight bit more impactful than the last one and also that it needs less power to give you a full soundstage and experience. It's easy to understand how great they are when I've already put in 100+ hours of listening in less than a month, and That's after me coming from AS-2's.

What Kenman345 said.

Small Update:

I absolutely love my AS-1's and I have found the differences to be quite fun. Definitely certain things I prefer to listen on the AS-1's over the AS-2's and vice-versa. AS-2's are a lot more revealing from what i believe is the BA's doing. From what I can tell they are similarly tuned but the BA's help separate the treble from the midrange and this allows the bass to feel slightly deeper in certain respects due to the level of clarity. Overall, the separation of the frequencies allows it to be a bit more analytical and so it's less forgiving with poor quality music as opposed to the AS-1's which won't make you terribly upset if you use 192 kbps MP3's or less. Though I personally avoid those types of files from getting on my machine. Both CIEM's get better with the better gear or source files you are using. In all honesty, you won't go wrong with either IEM if you really are strapped for cash. Both have equally become a valued part of my portable rig. I will be charging up my iPod this weekend in order to give people a base level case of using the new driver unamped is like. Currently using the Tera Player for most of my listening and that's not a good reference for anyone that doesnt know the starting volume. It's great though as i dont need to change the volume when it turns on as it's perfectly set automatically

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #2,505 of 6,413
Price has been released (please search for it on their facebook page, it's there. Color details should also be there (if they were released). I don't remember anymore. I usually pay attention to news about the custom models. 
Quote:
Has Aurisonics released the price of the ASG 2 yet? And is it only available in one colour like the ASG 1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back