Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Dec 13, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #2,431 of 6,413
funny how the ear cleaning has jumped over from thread to thread

if i may pitch in quickly, ear wax is naturally occuring and theres no real need to clean them out consistently, unless it is obvious that there has been too much build up and its blocking some sound
there should not be any reason for them to be compressed since iems dont go in that deep, but with ciems im not too sure
i used to have my ears cleaned out with a small pick but doctor said its much better to use syringe or solution as the pick cannot go in as deep and it actually irritates the ear canal, which may cause inflammation or even infection

tldr its already known that you should get ears cleaned out before getting ciem molds but unless you have ciems, theres no real need to clean ears out consistently (every couple months is good enough)

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2,432 of 6,413
Quote:
The ENT was referring to the fact that you should not do the same procedure that he just performed for you at home. The reason the medical community is highly against people doing personal ear cleanings is because many people are not very good at following directions and quite a few cases of perforated eardrums come in due to trying to clean one's ear. Also, there are expiratory dates for ear cleaning solutions as well, which when left for too long, or used in unsanitary conditions leaves people with outer ear infections (otitis externa).

For example, one risk that is unknown to those not in the medical field is the existence of the caloric reflex test. When someone tries to inject cold water into their ear, it will cause an activation of your vestibular system, causing the whole world to spin in the direction of that ear, where as injecting warm water will cause the world to spin in the opposite direction. When some people try to clean out their ear using water injection while standing, most aren't expecting the impending nausea and this can catch them off guard and cause someone to fall and injure themselves.

Due to the potential medical liability of someone mis-using any procedures suggested by the doctor and the overall low benefit to risk ratio, it is common practice for doctors to recommend not changing anything and coming in when there is ever an issue. 

Just trying to provide the other side to explain the ENT's actions. It's never meant to insult the patient's intelligence nor are they being naive, they simply realize that there are just too many people out there who can possibly screw things up and then come back and blame them for something that could have easily been avoided.

Woah... I've had water in my ear millions of times yet I dont feel any nausea  at all... 

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #2,433 of 6,413
Quote:
funny how the ear cleaning has jumped over from thread to thread
if i may pitch in quickly, ear wax is naturally occuring and theres no real need to clean them out consistently, unless it is obvious that there has been too much build up and its blocking some sound
there should not be any reason for them to be compressed since iems dont go in that deep, but with ciems im not too sure
i used to have my ears cleaned out with a small pick but doctor said its much better to use syringe or solution as the pick cannot go in as deep and it actually irritates the ear canal, which may cause inflammation or even infection
tldr its already known that you should get ears cleaned out before getting ciem molds but unless you have ciems, theres no real need to clean ears out consistently (every couple months is good enough)

Well when I recently went to do my ear impressions for my Heir 8As the lady made sure my ears were clean. She did clean them a little since there was a little build up at the entrance to my ear canal. other than that though it was relatively clean.

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #2,436 of 6,413
Thing is we are unsure yet what type of program Aurisonics will be running for ASG-2 upgrades from the ASG-1's. Whether the prices for the plates or bass port are lessened on the upgrade is yet to be addressed either. I can't imagine them giving a discount on the Black Rhodium plates though, but anything could happen. If you are looking for the normal pricing just take a look at the Aurisonics Facebook page
Quote:
Oh haha. Anyone know the prices for the materials or upgrades of the ASG 2? Like the rhodium faceplate or the "bassport?"

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #2,437 of 6,413
Quote:
Thing is we are unsure yet what type of program Aurisonics will be running for ASG-2 upgrades from the ASG-1's. Whether the prices for the plates or bass port are lessened on the upgrade is yet to be addressed either. I can't imagine them giving a discount on the Black Rhodium plates though, but anything could happen. If you are looking for the normal pricing just take a look at the Aurisonics Facebook page

Thanks.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #2,439 of 6,413
I used my index finger for my recent ear impressions. Last time I did my own and used 2 fingers. Way way way too tight lol. Not sure if that applies to everyone but I figured one finger is enough. I just angled it so my mouth was held wider open this way. Kinda like Doctor evil does in Austin Power lmao. But I think he uses his pinky :wink:.

Dec 14, 2012 at 10:10 AM Post #2,440 of 6,413
Usually the standard is 1" bite block. Many audiologists dont like them as if you bite too hard it would negatively effect the impression. The bite block shouldn't be clamped down on with your teeth, but keep your jaw relaxed but touching whatever you use for a bite block.
Quote:
By the way how large is the biting block? Apparently the audiologist requires me to bring something of my own to use..

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #2,441 of 6,413
Got my impressions done! Now i'm nervous about the fit as the audiologist said i had a bit of ear wax. Didnt hurt that much.

Now waiting on dale to give me the address to send my impressions to :)

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #2,442 of 6,413
Don't wait on Dale, take a look at the instructions....http://www.aurisonics.com/media/audiologistinstructions.pdf

on the bottom of the page it has an Address. send it there, with "Attention Lab" underneath "Aurisonics, Inc." on the package and it'll make it there fine
Quote:
Got my impressions done! Now i'm nervous about the fit as the audiologist said i had a bit of ear wax. Didnt hurt that much.
Now waiting on dale to give me the address to send my impressions to
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #2,444 of 6,413
I would include that in a note on the inside, that's what I did. Going by your name and that they should have no problem knowing who it's for.
Quote:
Do i need to write my order number on the parcel.

EDIT: I included a copy of my invoice when i sent mine in, couldnt hurt to do that as well

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #2,445 of 6,413
Ah, i'm currently at the post office. Dont have a copy of the invoice but i guess i'll write the order number on the shiping address or something!

Edit: alright got it sent out! Hoping i can get a good fit :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back