Fender IEM (Aurisonics) Impressions, Reviews & Discussions Thread
Apr 20, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #16 of 6,413

Quote:
By the way, anyone have the ASG-1.2?

No one has it yet...  There are a few Head-Fier's that are updating :)  I'm not one of them.  I still just want the filters (removable) to test :p

Apr 20, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #19 of 6,413

Quote:

Rev.1.2 includes filters, but are they not removable?

They look exactly the same as the filters I was given (the prototype ones) so they should be removable by sticking a pin into it and fishing it out. BUT I would advise against it as Aurisonics put the filters for a reason and there is a chance that the filter will fall apart after you take it out using that method.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #20 of 6,413
Judging from Aurisonic's announcement, 

Many people are very happy with the ASG-1 the way it is. The installed update is available for those who have previously purchased the ASG-1 and would like the update. The modification is, however, invasive to the unit and may require us to replace the body of the monitor and/or the transducer. Thus any burn-in may be lost. This revision cannot be reversed to a previous version

The filters seem to be irremovable. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #21 of 6,413

Quote:
No one has it yet...  There are a few Head-Fier's that are updating :)  I'm not one of them.  I still just want the filters (removable) to test :p

I have the original version 1.1 and rev. 1.2. Filters were pre-installed in the canals.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #22 of 6,413

Quote:

I have the original version 1.1 and rev. 1.2. Filters were pre-installed in the canals.

I should have known that...  My bad :frowning2:  Totally forgot :p

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #23 of 6,413

Quote:
Judging from Aurisonic's announcement, 

The filters seem to be irremovable. 

They added more than just filters.  They also did some cosmetic changes as well.  Bass port enlarged, left right indicators, etc.  The filters can be removed, but I don't think a tool is included to remove them.

Apr 20, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #24 of 6,413
I've actually followed the suggestion by Dale to cut down the filters to 1/3 the size of the prototypes (removed half the white cotton, I had a few extra sets) and I think it definitely helps in having a less of an impact on the soundstage and treble, while still cutting down the vocal spike.  

Also, I have to mention that the custom tips are a huge bonus when working with different filters since its so easy to remove them. The placement of the filters don't seem to matter that much so I've been experimenting with different material. I'll be trying it with just the black part of the filter when I have some time in the future, but i'm having trouble figuring out how to get it to stay steady due to their super thin nature.

Any one else with prototypes try cutting down on the total amount of white cotton material ?  (Warning, if you only have one set, this is not reversible :p just had to make sure it was explicitly stated)

Also, for those waiting for the actual filters to be released, I recommend trying the DIY methods listed in the OP, they have a 'similar' sonic effect as the filters in terms of helping reduce some of that vocal spike to my ears.

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #26 of 6,413

Quote:

They look exactly the same as the filters I was given (the prototype ones) so they should be removable by sticking a pin into it and fishing it out. BUT I would advise against it as Aurisonics put the filters for a reason and there is a chance that the filter will fall apart after you take it out using that method.

Thanks. I don't plan on taking them out once they are in there. But at some point they might need replacement from wax and sweat... 

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #28 of 6,413
The reply I got from Dale in regards to removing the filters on the ASG-1.2:

"Filter material is the same but only about <1/3 of it was used in rev 1.2 as most of the taming was done in tuning done elsewhere.  Not designed to be removable in 1.2 it's back enough in the nozzle that it should not be an issue and should be kept there."

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #29 of 6,413
@jrkong whoa, great job setting this thread up! Nicely done. Looking forward to more meaningful discussions here. ;p

@phoenix claw - if you're based in Singapore, we can get a test unit out to you. If you're on the hwz forum, cherns has already posted details of the tourbox program that we've got going on. If not, pm me and I'll get you on that. Although we are in the midst of sending units back to Aurisonics to be updated.

I'm also gonna get my ASG updated to rev 1.2. That new freq curve looks very promising. I've gotten so used to the firm mid range in my ASG-1 that my other iems sound scooped in comparison! Am also waiting for my AS-1b... apparently it'll have the rev 1.2 spec as well. Yay! Am positively itching to use the AS-1b onstage when I return to playing out.

Good days ahead for Aurisonics lovers!

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #30 of 6,413
Good on you, jrkong, for indexing the Aurisonics discussion in the first post.. I hope the aimless banter is kept to a minimum (that's what PM is for) & we can focus on discussing the sound & impressions, moving forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back