Feliks Audio tube amps
Jul 28, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #1,066 of 1,113
Felix amp for the LCD4s (with enough dynamics).

I am interested in the Felix amps, I heard them at Can-Jam 2017 in London but on the Utopia. Can any of these amps drive the 200 ohm LCD4s (2018 version). If not, what amp would you recommend (tube). Thanks

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #1,068 of 1,113
Julian, whilst the feliks amp is a great piece of gear, i doubt it'd be powerful enough for the lcd4.

Yes, I was wondering the same. I emailed Felix and they reckon it will work. But loud enough isn't all the story, dynamics and control, slew rates, speed are another. I am thinking I am better looking at SS only. Others have said as much on here as well to me. The GSX MK2 was interesting, but I have read some previous owners saying it can be a bit brittle / sharp even on the LCD4s. The Bryston is a possibility. But I am leaning towards the Violectric HPA V281, it seems to be my cup of tea. I am after quality of signal, not volume. Also the Violectric HPA V281 has very good settings to control the input level and output level (pre-fade / post fade). I have 10v line out on my DAC so it is very high (unusual).

Thanks for the thoughts Felix. BTW where you are on your system? I think I am in last stage mode since I got my Kassandra DAC, it is incredibly good, shockingly so. The HP amp is the last stone unturned now (I hope).

Jul 29, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #1,069 of 1,113
Yes, I was wondering the same. I emailed Felix and they reckon it will work. But loud enough isn't all the story, dynamics and control, slew rates, speed are another. I am thinking I am better looking at SS only. Others have said as much on here as well to me. The GSX MK2 was interesting, but I have read some previous owners saying it can be a bit brittle / sharp even on the LCD4s. The Bryston is a possibility. But I am leaning towards the Violectric HPA V281, it seems to be my cup of tea. I am after quality of signal, not volume. Also the Violectric HPA V281 has very good settings to control the input level and output level (pre-fade / post fade). I have 10v line out on my DAC so it is very high (unusual).

Thanks for the thoughts Felix. BTW where you are on your system? I think I am in last stage mode since I got my Kassandra DAC, it is incredibly good, shockingly so. The HP amp is the last stone unturned now (I hope).

I'm pretty much happy where I am now, basically mid-tier levels with both dynamics and estats. Playing a bit with vintage tape decks now which is in a way less of a hassle to play back as compared to vinyl.

The Violectric has received good reviews but i haven't heard them first hand so can't comment. You may want to also look at the Pass Labs HPA-1?

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,070 of 1,113

Maybe you could try the Auris HA2 SE based on this review: http://earphiles.org/2017/05/auris-ha2-se-review/

Though, it would be suggested if you could find a sale on it.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,071 of 1,113
Maybe you could try the Auris HA2 SE based on this review: http://earphiles.org/2017/05/auris-ha2-se-review/

Though, it would be suggested if you could find a sale on it.

Interesting amp review, but it then shot it with the price rant. I did think about that Mogwai or the Taboo MK4 which is prettier but maybe not as good SQ? In the end I thought it was too risky. Tube amps seem tone a bit hit and miss on impedance matches, some are grey on low impedance, others better or higher 600 ohms for example. No idea how it would sound on my HPs is what I am worried about. Also I have the LCD4s which are already warm and smooth. So I have gone SS instead now, bought the Violectric V281. I still can system tune as my DAC has a tube gain stage and with interconnect cables and USB cables. Plus micro tweaks in Roon DSP. If I had the Focal Utopia then deff go for a tube amp.

The Felix was also an option but the price recently went up, and even though they told me it would run the LCD4s I had PMs with some who have tired it and said it works but not optimal.

Also looked at the GSX MK2 but it has a churlish treble quality I am not so keen on, and is a bit pricey. I am hoping the V281 will kick my LCD4s butt, will report back.....

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,073 of 1,113
So I've had the Euforia (2017) for about a year now. I just want to say I find it incredibly frustrating that the Euforia shuts down all the outputs on my Gumby whenever the Euforia is powered off. I have a HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 and a Beyerdynamic A20 connected at the same time (one of them with an XLR to RCA cable), as well as a Micca OriGain A250 connected to the line outs on the Beyerdynamic A20. I cannot use any of those other three amplifiers unless I either turn on the Euforia or unplug the RCAs from the Euforia. If I had to turn on my Beyerdynamic A20 just to use my other gear, it wouldn't be a big deal because it's solid-state and it produces no heat, but it's not a great idea to have tubes running all the time for a multitude of reasons. It shortens the lifespan of the tubes, it wastes electricity, it heats up the room, and, frankly, it's a fire hazard.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #1,074 of 1,113
Interesting amp review, but it then shot it with the price rant. I did think about that Mogwai or the Taboo MK4 which is prettier but maybe not as good SQ? In the end I thought it was too risky. Tube amps seem tone a bit hit and miss on impedance matches, some are grey on low impedance, others better or higher 600 ohms for example. No idea how it would sound on my HPs is what I am worried about. Also I have the LCD4s which are already warm and smooth. So I have gone SS instead now, bought the Violectric V281. I still can system tune as my DAC has a tube gain stage and with interconnect cables and USB cables. Plus micro tweaks in Roon DSP. If I had the Focal Utopia then deff go for a tube amp.

The Felix was also an option but the price recently went up, and even though they told me it would run the LCD4s I had PMs with some who have tired it and said it works but not optimal.

Also looked at the GSX MK2 but it has a churlish treble quality I am not so keen on, and is a bit pricey. I am hoping the V281 will kick my LCD4s butt, will report back.....

Sorry for the late reply astrostar...but hope the V281 delivers all you would like (shame it's not a looker to my eyes alas!).

I suspect your 'warm and smooth' LCDs might well be more suited to SS than an OTL amp. However, if one was in the market for a top flight headphone AND speaker amp (with pre-amp function also) - and with flexible pockets lol! - then F-A's upcoming new 2A3 flagship amp (fully balanced) must surely be near the top of one's list.

It will have 6SN7s driving the 2A3s, and a specially commissioned output transformer...therefore should be able to drive low-impedance/planar headphones with ease. With 3 inputs and line out both balanced and SE; Neutrik 'Speakon' speaker connector, plus option for STAX electrostatic headphones output (!) this will, I'm sure, be quite an exciting venture from Feliks-Audio.

Although still in final development stage, they have released a photo of the rear panel (pretty well finalised), for which I post a link to the Euforia thread (post # 4738). Hopefully it should be close to finished prototype within the next month or so, when complete view (the early design concept for the front was striking - but understated - to say the least), and pricing/specs should be available : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/feliks-audio-euforia-a-wolf-in-sheeps-clothing.831743/page-316

On second thoughts, as this is in fact a thread for all F-A's tube amps, it's only fitting that I post said photo here lol! :

Capture F-A new amp.PNG

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,075 of 1,113
Felix amp for the LCD4s (with enough dynamics).

I am interested in the Felix amps, I heard them at Can-Jam 2017 in London but on the Utopia. Can any of these amps drive the 200 ohm LCD4s (2018 version). If not, what amp would you recommend (tube). Thanks

Been through quite a few amps now and audition quite a lot more. Violectric v281 and Ragnarok will drive the LCD4 well. Glenn Super 9 OTL amp will drive the 200ohm LCD4 very well. However the ultimate will be the DNA Stratus which I'll be receiving in July 2019. :)

May 28, 2021 at 5:47 PM Post #1,079 of 1,113
Another favourite pairing here - Sylvania 6sn7w and Bendix 6080wb slotted graphite tubes. Really good tubes and great combination. 6sn7w is so clear and sweet sounding and Bendix 6080wb has the weight of an ocean liner giant anchor. Together it's making my HD800 sound musical. Not a trace of sharpness here. It's smooth, lush and the soundstage is staggering. Bass is one of the best this side of the equator.

Btw when I refer to soundstage, I really mean headstage. It's inside your head or extends beyond your ears. Soundstage belongs to speakers and I am just about to take my setup to the lounge to audition with my speakers and subwoofer. Let's hear some real soundstage in my 5 x 8 metres lounge.

20170712_121623.jpg
Hi there,

Any idea if the tubes you mentioned above would be suitable for a Feliks Echo (Mk1) ?

Thanks

Best regards

May 28, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #1,080 of 1,113
Hi there,

Any idea if the tubes you mentioned above would be suitable for a Feliks Echo (Mk1) ?

Thanks

Best regards

I seem to wake up from a land far, far away.... :) This thread and my Feliks Audio Elise and Euforia was so loooong ago..... and I'm still in Head-Fi. :)

I never had the Echo because why would I after I have the Elise and Euforia.

However to answer your question... NO. Feliks Echo use 2 6N6P power tubes and 2 6N1P driver tubes. The Sylvania 6sn7w and Bendix 6080wb that I talked about above are not suitable for your Echo...

I can't believe I say '.. Bendix 6080wb has the weight of an ocean liner giant anchor'. Well you get the idea. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back