Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 7, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #4,726 of 11,472
10137243.jpeg
There you are, a quartet of EL32 as drivers. A unique preamp using KT120s as output tubes....please note that the EL32 tubes are clear glass ones (LOL)

Mmm tubes hard to find and then you need four! for drivers. And only 2 output tubes.
I think I skip this amp and look for an amp that needs only one driver tube (but can use up to 6 output tubes).:grinning:

Jul 8, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #4,728 of 11,472
GOTL? I will be getting mine shortly.

Congrats Mordy. No more adapters required and you have more than enough tubes to experiment with. I have 3 pairs of EL11, 1 pair of EL12, 1 pair of EL12N and 2 pairs of EL12 spez. All NOS and NIB. Not interested in using them or selling them. I'll put them in a time capsule. :)

It's been a long road of Darkvoice 336se, Elise, Euforia, La Figaro 339, Ragnarok, Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP, Glenn Super 9 OTL amp and finally by June of 2019, I'll have my DNA Stratus. Then I'll bid farewell to a hobby that is richly rewarding but it's time to move on... back to making the garden grow again and my orchids. :)

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #4,729 of 11,472
Mmm tubes hard to find and then you need four! for drivers. And only 2 output tubes.
I think I skip this amp and look for an amp that needs only one driver tube (but can use up to 6 output tubes).:grinning:

Hi Althalus.

That is indeed a lot of drivers lol!... BUT I can understand it, if in a balanced configuration - as it will be in F-A's new 2A3 flagship soon :L3000:.

I personally would never consider a single (double triode) driver (unless for a mono block!) - without separate L/R volume control, one is at the mercy of the the 2 triodes needing to be extremely well matched for good balance, especially as they are probably going to exhaust at different rates over time...NO THANKS! :wink:

And as for 6 power tubes...well, if 2 are sufficient for the great DNA Stratus; Eddie Current etc. amps, then that's enough for me (or 4 for balanced)!...:)

Jul 8, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #4,730 of 11,472
Congrats Mordy. No more adapters required and you have more than enough tubes to experiment with. I have 3 pairs of EL11, 1 pair of EL12, 1 pair of EL12N and 2 pairs of EL12 spez. All NOS and NIB. Not interested in using them or selling them. I'll put them in a time capsule. :)

It's been a long road of Darkvoice 336se, Elise, Euforia, La Figaro 339, Ragnarok, Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP, Glenn Super 9 OTL amp and finally by June of 2019, I'll have my DNA Stratus. Then I'll bid farewell to a hobby that is richly rewarding but it's time to move on... back to making the garden grow again and my orchids. :)
Hi UT,
What about biking?
Hi Althalus.

That is indeed a lot of drivers lol!... BUT I can understand it, if in a balanced configuration - as it will be in F-A's new 2A3 flagship soon :L3000:.

I personally would never consider a single (double triode) driver (unless for a mono block!) - without separate L/R volume control, one is at the mercy of the the 2 triodes needing to be extremely well matched for good balance, especially as they are probably going to exhaust at different rates over time...NO THANKS! :wink:

And as for 6 power tubes...well, if 2 are sufficient for the great DNA Stratus; Eddie Current etc. amps, then that's enough for me (or 4 for balanced)!...:)
HI h1,
Those amps that you mention, can they use the great 6336 5A power tubes?

Hi UT,
What happened to biking?

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #4,731 of 11,472
GOTL? I will be getting mine shortly.
I know, I have to wait till september/oktober.

Maybe you are correct, but so far I see no one think this is negative. You only need to buy one good driver tube instead of two. But I keep the Euforia.

Agree too, but some cheap tubes are soso in pairs but better as four and wow as sextet. And when I see the adapters that people use to insert 4 or 6 output tubes on the Elise or Euforia, just to get the best music experience then I think that FA should think about an Elise/Euforia with the option to insert 6 output tubes (and of the transformer that can handle the power). With exception of the 6336, 6x5A is too much..... Unless you want to sit warm in the winter. :wink:

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #4,732 of 11,472

Maybe you are correct, but so far I see no one think this is negative. You only need to buy one good driver tube instead of two. But I keep the Euforia.

Agree too, but some cheap tubes are soso in pairs but better as four and wow as sextet. And when I see the adapters that people use to insert 4 or 6 output tubes on the Elise or Euforia, just to get the best music experience then I think that FA should think about an Elise/Euforia with the option to insert 6 output tubes (and of the transformer that can handle the power). With exception of the 6336, 6x5A is too much..... Unless you want to sit warm in the winter. :wink:
Hi Althalus,
The GOTL can only handle two 6336 power tubes. The total current draw is 13A .
Hi h1,
A long time ago I asked FA if their 2A3 amp sounded better than the Elise and the answer was no - it just had more power to drive speakers. Don't know if this applies to their new planned amp compared to the Euforia.

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #4,735 of 11,472

Hi again A...

There are indeed good amps about that use just one driver...but also those that use two. And folks, being very protective of their favourite amp, often keep quiet about problems encountered lol! :wink: As I mentioned, the potential for imbalance is real - just look at the readings (if provided!) of many (expensive) used top flight tubes...rarely are 2 triodes almost equal. So one can make his/her own conclusions...(depending on level of paranoia!! :ksc75smile:).

This is in fact something that Feliks-Audio considered when designing Elise, as I had asked them for 2 drivers in the first place. After testing, they themselves preferred 2 as opposed to 1...especially to aid driving low-impedance headphones...(and I personally think the more balanced look to the amp is also a factor...I believe in aesthetics as well as good sound!! :L3000:).

Re. 6 power tubes...I agree this may well help cheap tubes, but there are several factors that might not appeal to everyone - eg. resultant amp size and weight (taking into account the need for a beefier trafo also), and the heat generated. In addition, many would rather stick with 2x top class tubes in the 6AS7G/6080 family (if staying with configured-for tubes). I personally much prefer the unorthodox EL12 Spezial pentode (triode-strapped) anyway... and my latest ST CV1052s give me all the WOW factor I could ask for lol! (plus an amp that runs barely warm to the touch...not to mention the most deathly silent background I have ever encountered...plus....:gs1000smile::gs1000smile:...)

So it's definitely a case of 'horses for courses' methinks! :smile_phones:...CHEERS!...

Jul 9, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #4,736 of 11,472
Hi Althalus,
The GOTL can only handle two 6336 power tubes. The total current draw is 13A .
Hi h1,
A long time ago I asked FA if their 2A3 amp sounded better than the Elise and the answer was no - it just had more power to drive speakers. Don't know if this applies to their new planned amp compared to the Euforia.

Hi mordy.

I can't find an amp by these makers that uses the 6336 power tube, but EC's Zana Deux uses a similar (but Russian) 6C33C...another 'monster' tube, that also needs careful designing...and gets mighty hot lol!!

F-A's new flagship amp is going to be a totally different animal to their old speaker amp - pop Henryk is redesigning it from scratch (internally, with Michal looking to an external design that will make most other tube amps look very dated indeed lol!), and will be configured properly for both headphone and speaker use (as of the present!)...which is rarely done - if ever - without compromise of some sort. And so this should sound better than Euforia...it wouldn't be worth their while at all if it didn't! (The 2A3 tube is famous enough to pretty well guarantee it!).
Needless to say, I can't wait to give it a trial...and post my own impressions here at head-fi as soon as I possibly can (but I'm sure far better qualified reviewers will also be eager to get their hands on it!!).

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #4,737 of 11,472
Hi guys...final update (from me!) on the 'smoked' Mullard ST CV1052.

After well over 100hrs' burn-in, and weeks of living with this tube (2 as drivers, 2 as powers), I can safely say that it has surprised me more than any other tube to date - including the magnificent mesh-plate EL11s driving the equally magnificent TFK EL12 Spezials.

But before final conclusions, I must repeat that with these particular EL tubes especially, any less time will not show them to their best...and significantly less will not give truly meaningful results (especially in a highly resolving setup - including top flight headphones lol!).

I never thought I'd come across a tube with the clarity and treble mastery of the C3g, which surpasses any 6SN7 you care to name. But this tube (C3g) can soon sound a bit too harsh in many systems, and for some ears. However, this Mullard can match the C3g for treble detail and extension, but without said possible unfortunate trait...instead, with a refined sweetness that isn't at all 'syrupy'.
It also reproduces mids far better, and a bass that surpasses (IMHO) the mighty ECC31 and FDD20...again seldom matched by any 6SN7. It does so in pure detail and sheer impact which, in combination with the supreme mids handling, give a fullness of sound that I have not seen equaled by any other combination I've tried over the years.

Related to this is a quality that I hadn't fully grasped until living with this tube a good while - ie. its deftness in keeping all this extra detail - across the entire frequency range - under precise control, even when crescendoing to loud climaxes. This wonderful dynamics handling was highlighted to me when I revisited favourite test tracks that had loud passages where I would normally have to reduce the volume somewhat. Unless due to poor recording, most times I now have no such need...with no loss whatsoever in 'slam' from such passages.
I now realise that this feat is made possible by the tube's mastery at detail separation and positioning, which it maintains at loud volumes, rather than everything merging in a less controlled way. Once again, no other previous combo has been able to do this with such precision and aplomb....all the while its 3D holographic soundstage remaining intact - a very hard thing to achieve IMO.

Needless to say, I simply cannot believe this tube (driving the same powers, at least!) performs to such a degree in an amp not specifically configured for it. And that it does so with the quietest background ever would also indicate no internal amp conflict whatsoever...(along with running the amp hardly even warm to the touch).

And so I can only recommend folks to try and look out for these smoked glass, Mullard military ST (shoulder-type/'coke bottle') CV1052. Perhaps they might just surface now and again...I can only hope so lol! :L3000: And I personally would recommend them as drivers driving the same as powers...CHEERS!...CJ

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #4,738 of 11,472
For those interested in F-A's new flagship 2A3 amp, a taster photo of its (near final) rear...showing the main functions. The front is obviously still top secret (but from Michal Feliks's early design concept, should be quite stunning!).

Note 3 inputs - both RCA and XLR (fully balanced ). Line output is of both types also.

Note also the option for electrostatic headphones (STAX output)...there will apparently be several models available, depending on level of requirement (and price, no doubt!).

Will update further as soon as Lukasz can reveal...CHEERS...CJ

Capture F-A new amp.PNG

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #4,739 of 11,472
For those interested in F-A's new flagship 2A3 amp, a taster photo of its (near final) rear...showing the main functions. The front is obviously still top secret (but from Michal Feliks's early design concept, should be quite stunning!).

Note 3 inputs - both RCA and XLR (fully balanced ). Line output is of both types also.

Note also the option for electrostatic headphones (STAX output)...there will apparently be several models available, depending on level of requirement (and price, no doubt!).

Will update further as soon as Lukasz can reveal...CHEERS...CJ

That's a teasing pic h1!, looks substantially bigger than the Elise/Euforia, a STAX output is a real surprise, looking forward to seeing the front in all it's glory!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back