Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 27, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #4,741 of 11,472
Hi H1, what a serious piece that prototype !
Please note that it has both balanced and single ended preamp outs. A “secondary” feature ? No way.....And I said this many times, sorry for repeating myself, but the preamp outs of Elise/Euforia, equally, are not afterthoughts of the designer. The new model simply confirms this...

They share the same circuit as the HP outs, yes, different from a conventional preamp, much more powerful in terms of current, to drive difficult cans. Kind of a mini power amp acting as preamp. An OTL one. As good as it is with cans, is the same as a preamp. Solid state amps are simply dominated by the Euforia, It takes control at once and its sound prevails with a firm grip, luckily I lowered the output of my NADs because the OTL was hitting really hard in dynamic terms. It was, well, dangerous for my speakers... That’s the kind of preamp I like. It can hit hard, and be refined at the same time...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #4,742 of 11,472
Is this new flagship a headphone amp/ preamp?, or is it a power amp, or an integrated amp. ? If a power or integrated, what are the watts per channel.?

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #4,743 of 11,472
Please note that it has both balanced and single ended preamp outs. A “secondary” feature ? No way.....And I said this many times, sorry for repeating myself, but the preamp outs of Elise/Euforia, equally, are not afterthoughts of the designer. The new model simply confirms this...

They share the same circuit as the HP outs, yes, different from a conventional preamp, much more powerful in terms of current, to drive difficult cans. Kind of a mini power amp acting as preamp. An OTL one. As good as it is with cans, is the same as a preamp. Solid state amps are simply dominated by the Euforia, It takes control at once and its sound prevails with a firm grip, luckily I lowered the output of my NADs because the OTL was hitting really hard in dynamic terms. It was, well, dangerous for my speakers... That’s the kind of preamp I like. It can hit hard, and be refined at the same time...

Hello Johnnysound...

Speaking of preamp outs...

Here is something to try: Use an adapter cord to go from the HP out to RCA on your FA HP amp to feed your NAD speaker amp, and see if it sounds different that using the RCA outs on the back of the amp....

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #4,744 of 11,472
Is this new flagship a headphone amp/ preamp?, or is it a power amp, or an integrated amp. ? If a power or integrated, what are the watts per channel.?

Hi aqsw...long time no hear! :)...hope all is well with your nice gear. And yourself, of course!...

F-A's new flagship is going to be quite something, to be sure...hopefully not stratospherically priced! (Might just find it impossible to return/send on once it graces my rack lol!!!).

As can be seen from the back, it will have THREE inputs - both balanced XLR and SE - and both also for line out. As it also has a Neutrik 'Speakon' output for speakers, this behemoth will therefore be a headphone amp; an integrated amp; and WITH preamp functionality... PLUS, as an option, STAX output for electrostatic hps!!...(not many of these animals about, methinks :wink:).

It will have a specially commissioned transformer, which will also perform output duties...this is therefore not an OTL amp...(sorry @Johnnysound !)...but such amps are supposed to drive low-impedance cans better anyway lol! As yet, no specs - such as WPC - are available, I'm afraid. But more info should be forthcoming quite soon...along with a view of the front - also anticipated by @Scutey ...not to mention @connieflyer and myself (I hope it doesn't stray too far from Michal Feliks's early (top secret!) design concept, that I was privileged to have a glimpse of some time back, and which really surprised me...in the best way possible, I must add).

And so all in all, this should be a VERY interesting release by Feliks-Audio, and which I'm sure will attract some serious interest from serious hi-fiers lol!...BFN...CJ

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #4,745 of 11,472
Hello Johnnysound...

Speaking of preamp outs...

Here is something to try: Use an adapter cord to go from the HP out to RCA on your FA HP amp to feed your NAD speaker amp, and see if it sounds different that using the RCA outs on the back of the amp....

Hi JV, the experiment you suggest would be a VERY interesting one...think I have some spare plugs around and making a proper adaptor should be easy (or even easier getting an adaptor from pro audio stores). I am assuming both HP and pre outs share the same basic circuit, based on the very sparse info provided by FA at the time when Elise was launched. Keep in mind that Elise was inspired by the LD mk III-IV models, that were designed with identical pre and HP outs. Having said this, I am no expert, so the experiment will tell if they sound the same... or not. Will do it soon...

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #4,746 of 11,472
Hi JV, the experiment you suggest would be a VERY interesting one...think I have some spare plugs around and making a proper adaptor should be easy (or even easier getting an adaptor from pro audio stores). I am assuming both HP and pre outs share the same basic circuit, based on the very sparse info provided by FA at the time when Elise was launched. Keep in mind that Elise was inspired by the LD mk III-IV models, that were designed with identical pre and HP outs. Having said this, I am no expert, so the experiment will tell if they sound the same... or not. Will do it soon...

Sounds good, Johnnysound, I look forward to hearing about your results.

Cheers!

Jul 30, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #4,749 of 11,472
FDD65A30-BFF0-43F1-A01C-9E9B4ABB441F.jpeg

Hi H1, you said dark glass ? Look at these brown base beauties...really hard to find, after a long search I only found a single pair. The second “dark glass” pair I am waiting to arrive are black base (last available from another UK seller) and while also Mullards, I am not sure if military or “civilian” version. I suspect both are more or less the same tubes...

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #4,750 of 11,472
Those are some great looking tubes. Nice score, these tubes are getting very hard to locate. But very well worth the effort.

Aug 1, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #4,751 of 11,472

Hi H1, you said dark glass ? Look at these brown base beauties...really hard to find, after a long search I only found a single pair. The second “dark glass” pair I am waiting to arrive are black base (last available from another UK seller) and while also Mullards, I am not sure if military or “civilian” version. I suspect both are more or less the same tubes...

Well done J...they do indeed look very nice - and hopefully you find they sound just as nice lol! But please remember they need long burn-in to reach their best...

I too have a pair of 'dark glass' EL32s (Pinnacle branded Mullards), but haven't yet been able to compare them with the military versions, which are marked 'CV1052' and have the arrow marking, denoting for (British) military.

I would imagine they do sound about the same, but as you know, mil versions usually have to conform to stricter specifications...GOOD LUCK!...CJ

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #4,752 of 11,472
Interesting the new Felix amp. I heard the MalValve 22 tube monster at Munich HiEnd and it was very good, and powered both stats and planers. But I would rather go only planers or only electrostatics. IMO the needs of stats is high voltage (very high) and I can't imagine a perfect mix between the two without either compromise or wasted budget. But having not heard this amp or seem the specs or price.....

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #4,753 of 11,472
Interesting the new Felix amp. I heard the MalValve 22 tube monster at Munich HiEnd and it was very good, and powered both stats and planers. But I would rather go only planers or only electrostatics. IMO the needs of stats is high voltage (very high) and I can't imagine a perfect mix between the two without either compromise or wasted budget. But having not heard this amp or seem the specs or price.....

Hi a59.

It would indeed be very interesting to see just how well it performs (when it arrives!) with the STAX option also chosen...there will apparently be several models to choose from in fact. But I myself will be testing with my Beyer T1s (v1), transformed by a UP-OCC solid silver and copper replacement cable...not interested in stats lol! So more extensively-equipped (and qualified) reviewers will have to do the honours lol!

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #4,754 of 11,472
Hi a59.

It would indeed be very interesting to see just how well it performs (when it arrives!) with the STAX option also chosen...there will apparently be several models to choose from in fact. But I myself will be testing with my Beyer T1s (v1), transformed by a UP-OCC solid silver and copper replacement cable...not interested in stats lol! So more extensively-equipped (and qualified) reviewers will have to do the honours lol!

Hi again H1! From the few pics available it looks certain that the new FA beast is both a top HP amp, and a full function preamp. The presence of single ended, AND balanced pre outs is telling...nobody will bother to install balanced outs it the thing is not intended to be, also, a high end preamp. Anyway, Stax cans do require a powerful tube preamp to work, and the top ones I just saw look more like power amps than preamps, using 4xEL34s for example, (the same as my Jolida in its standard config, that can pump easily 65 watts/channel). Maybe a lot of overkill there, but who knows, surely the new FA will be very different from previous models...

Aug 4, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #4,755 of 11,472
, I certainly hope it will be different, very different. I don't want more of the same I want something different something better and I know it's going to cost but that's just part of playing the game can hardly wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Back