Feliks Audio tube amps
Jul 14, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #181 of 1,113
You would have no problem powering the HE-6 with the Rag, or your reciever, many use the speaker taps of a vintage receiver.

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #182 of 1,113
You would have no problem powering the HE-6 with the Rag, or your reciever, many use the speaker taps of a vintage receiver.

Problem is I only want one more headphone... and that's a long list there....

I am thinking really hard...

tenor.gif

umrum.gif

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #183 of 1,113
That would be a tough choice between all of those.

There are a lot of good headphones there, both open and closed.

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #186 of 1,113
It is called Ormosia Henryi

DSC00032.JPG

Jul 14, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #187 of 1,113
It is called Ormosia Henryi

Omg it's so nice. $939 with seahorse case. Strong contender now. Strong bass? Describe a bit of the tone please. This is a planar magnetic which means fast transient response. Might be what I am looking for. After all I have 3 dynamic headphones already.

lhjhbB9.gif

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #188 of 1,113
The Ori is a Fostex T50-RP that has been modded by Zach and also tuned by him.

The bass is really fun and it has a little extra thump , because that is how Zach tunes them. The mids are still pretty good and the treble is decreased just a little, again it is how Zach tunes them.

They are wonderful for acoustic music and blues. they need a little current to make them sing their best and for the bass to sound its best, the Rag definitely provides that.

So strong bass, and a darker treble, though not too dark. If you do not like the tuning, Zach offers to tune to your request 1 time for free, say you want less bass and more treble or something.
Lots of different woods to choose from for the Ori model...you also pick the color of the sliders and the headband that you would want. Comes with two different sets of ear pads.
Could probably find a set on the used market for a pretty good deal.
The build quality is wonderful, but they will be heavier than the hD650 and the HD800....not sure how heavy your HE560 was.....probably heavier than that also.

Same drivers as this headphone....you could by something cheaper like this to see if you like it or not.
http://www.zmfheadphones.com/order-the-zmf/zmf-classic

Some say it is too much money for a modded Fostex TR-50....but they sound fantastic. It is the same headphone , the TR-50 that Mr. speakers mods for the Alpha Dog and Alpha Prime

I think I have covered everything.
Here is a link to the website.

http://www.zmfheadphones.com/

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #189 of 1,113
Thanks @whirlwind for taking the time to describe in detail everything about the ZMF Ori.

I know it has a growing fan base as well as sceptics. :ksc75smile: However my opinion is that one ought to listen to those who have heard it rather than those who theorise.

The description you gave are the attributes I am looking for. This is to complement the HD800. However, I will continue with my research and will decide on one of the many I list....

More importantly, it has to work well with the Ragnarok and if it did work well with Euforia, then that's a bonus.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #190 of 1,113
My OTL amp sounds pretty good with the Ori.

It plays plenty loud enough, and the bass still sound good, but that is only half of the battle.
Still it sounded good enough that I used it with my OTL for a long time, before feeding it better.
I would call it a fun headphone.

It is just that with more current provided, then the drivers are really singing much better and the bass improves the most.

Jul 14, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #191 of 1,113
That's what surprise me with Elise and HE560 too. Sounded beautiful despite some sceptics saying they are not a good match. When I listen to HE560 with a standard Modi and Magni, I hated it. It's too sharp and digital to my ears. Elise colour it nicely.

I would love to listen to HE560 with the Ragnarok though. Would love to hear how it sounds.

Incidentally I will take my son's Modi and Magni home tonight and give it a whirl again. My impressions then was that it is no better than my previous JDS Lab o2/odac. :ksc75smile:

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #192 of 1,113
Have been mostly listening to Euforia since her arrival.

My vinyl gig is fully balanced, I tried out HD800/HVDA600.

IMG_0884.JPG

Personally, I prefer vinyl in traditional 2 channel speaker system. Headphone just could not catch the unique ambiance.

For headphone listening, still prefer this combo.

IMG_0885.JPG

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #194 of 1,113
Man I'm looking at those ZMF headphones and they sure look nice !

Which one to decide and what wood is the question. Perhaps Atticus or Ori with some natural looking wood.

Jul 15, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #195 of 1,113
Alright now we have some serious competitor. Wow plug my HD800 into it and it hits so hard.

Alright, this is why you buy quality head-fi gear for real musical enjoyment. This is like Thailand's karaoke bar. Enough said....

I'm returning to Yggy and Euforia before my hearing gets damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back