Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Nov 26, 2023 at 11:49 AM Post #11,311 of 11,500
Thanks a lot! The Macintosh is beautiful, a legendary brand... But the Feliks might sound better. I'll have to take a trip and try both amps at once. I'm just a little afraid I'll want a better dac than the Topping. :D But I don't have the money for that right now.
@tomina666 in such case I would also do a research for MHA150, you would be still with McIntosh brand, this is one of most musical and smooth ESS based dacs I've ever heard and it is still a great headphone amp IMHO, can't tell you how good it is with Meze since I've been listening to it with AudioQuest, Focal and Audeze cans at the time.

PS: with Euforia you can't go wrong and you can always start tube rolling. Just remember that with new tubes, it really needs time before it will play to their full potential.

Nov 30, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #11,314 of 11,500
I'm crazy, I bought Feliks Euforie for the third time :)I've tried a lot of lamps over this period, but my favorite is the KT88 with adapters. I'm now waiting for delivery linlai 6sn7....
OMG man ... i enjoy your second unit :D and I am very glad i bought it. Its crazy good amp!

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:18 AM Post #11,315 of 11,500
So yesterday my family and I took a trip to Poland. Specifically Katowice, where there is also one of the stores of a Polish Hi-Fi store focused on headphones and everything around, mp3store.
I've been wanting a tube amplifier for over two years now. To end my headphone journey with something really great and the guys now had very reasonable prices, so we went to visit, listen and buy.

I had 3 favorites picked out:
Feliks Audio Euforia Evo
AURIS AUDIO HA2-SE+
Mcintosh MHA200

I have to admit that 2 hours was not enough for me and I would have had to spend much more time there, with breaks.

Auris - was definitely very nice, warm, just the electronics were felt in every song. Very good equipment and price, performance, but the new design for me is rather unsuccessful, an awfully big thing! 

Mcintosh - I was really looking forward to this one... Because it looks perfect, Macintosh in every way. It's nice and small and compact. Unfortunately, that's all. When I started listening, it took me somewhere else. Rather than the tubes, to the classic amplifiers. The sound was very technical, clear, almost too... not bad, but for the money, even at a discount? Eeeh!

Emphasis on the mids. So what absolutely disgusted me and ***** was the volume control. There's a lot written about it in discussions and reviews. The wheel is small and until about 12 o'clock the music goes very quiet. From 12 o'clock suddenly boom and the volume starts, but in such an extreme way that every millimetre further on the volume starts to increase. But really extreme. And it's pretty easy to do, so I can imagine someone accidentally reaching for it and your ears are mushed. That's why I eliminated this candidate immediately. Just don't. 

Feliks Audio Euforia Evo - a highly praised award-winning amplifier. It doesn't cost very little at all and I wondered if it was worth it. The salesman said as we were talking that people were slowly coming to them from all over Europe and praising it a lot. Sonically, it was sort of a cross between an Auris and a Mcintosh. It's rather minimalist - no imped. selector, one rca input, but it has a built in crossfeed!

I admit I was hesitant between the Auris (price, tube character like a bitch) vs the Felix. And I probably need more listening with breaks. But there wasn't quite room for it, so I took the best that's currently out there for me. A selection of grapes for sure...

In the evening at home I plugged everything in and played my favorite songs. Happiness spread through my body!
By the way, are you using a protective cage? What does it look like?

Attachments

• IMG_9373.jpeg
    IMG_9373.jpeg
    949.1 KB · Views: 0
Dec 2, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #11,316 of 11,500
What a beauty! :point_up:

Dec 2, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #11,317 of 11,500
So yesterday my family and I took a trip to Poland. Specifically Katowice, where there is also one of the stores of a Polish Hi-Fi store focused on headphones and everything around, mp3store.
I've been wanting a tube amplifier for over two years now. To end my headphone journey with something really great and the guys now had very reasonable prices, so we went to visit, listen and buy.

I had 3 favorites picked out:
Feliks Audio Euforia Evo
AURIS AUDIO HA2-SE+
Mcintosh MHA200

I have to admit that 2 hours was not enough for me and I would have had to spend much more time there, with breaks.

Auris - was definitely very nice, warm, just the electronics were felt in every song. Very good equipment and price, performance, but the new design for me is rather unsuccessful, an awfully big thing! 

Mcintosh - I was really looking forward to this one... Because it looks perfect, Macintosh in every way. It's nice and small and compact. Unfortunately, that's all. When I started listening, it took me somewhere else. Rather than the tubes, to the classic amplifiers. The sound was very technical, clear, almost too... not bad, but for the money, even at a discount? Eeeh!

Emphasis on the mids. So what absolutely disgusted me and ***** was the volume control. There's a lot written about it in discussions and reviews. The wheel is small and until about 12 o'clock the music goes very quiet. From 12 o'clock suddenly boom and the volume starts, but in such an extreme way that every millimetre further on the volume starts to increase. But really extreme. And it's pretty easy to do, so I can imagine someone accidentally reaching for it and your ears are mushed. That's why I eliminated this candidate immediately. Just don't. 

Feliks Audio Euforia Evo - a highly praised award-winning amplifier. It doesn't cost very little at all and I wondered if it was worth it. The salesman said as we were talking that people were slowly coming to them from all over Europe and praising it a lot. Sonically, it was sort of a cross between an Auris and a Mcintosh. It's rather minimalist - no imped. selector, one rca input, but it has a built in crossfeed!

I admit I was hesitant between the Auris (price, tube character like a bitch) vs the Felix. And I probably need more listening with breaks. But there wasn't quite room for it, so I took the best that's currently out there for me. A selection of grapes for sure...

In the evening at home I plugged everything in and played my favorite songs. Happiness spread through my body!
By the way, are you using a protective cage? What does it look like?
I'm glad you kept your hands off the Mcintosh.
Your impressions are exactly the same as mine.
And I've listened to it twice and it's an amplifier where I'm holding back now.
But the worst thing was really the potentiometer.
Then I also found the impedance selection very poor.
I had my Zmf Auteur with me the first time and it wasn't good.
The second time I listened with the Sennheiser Hd800.
Congratulations on the Euforia at the end.
I've seen that Feliks have made a lot of progress, also in the circuitry.
Unfortunately and I think it's a pity that the tubes are still the same.
The amplifier, as good as it is, is slowly becoming a luxury problem.
Because the tubes are also getting more expensive, especially the 6080, 5998 especially the good pearls.
You slowly develop a love/hate relationship and can be happy if you stocked up well years ago.
Apart from that, there's nothing wrong with the amplifier, for an Otl it's right up there.

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #11,318 of 11,500
Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but I am choosing between OG and AE Euforia amps on the used market. The prices are almost $1K apart. For those who have heard both, does the AE sound $1,000 better than the OG?

For the purposes of my question you can take the stock tubes out of the equation as the OG I’m looking at has significant tube upgrade. Hence my question is really to what extent the internals result in an audible improvement.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #11,319 of 11,500
Where can I get KT-88 adapters for my Euforia Evo?

Dec 3, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #11,320 of 11,500
w
Where can I get KT-88 adapters for my Euforia Evo?
The usual: @Deyan here or MrsX on eBay. Make sure to specify that they are for Euforia, and not Envy. Euforia can actually use a single triode per side, so you don’t have to use dual KTxx, 6J5, etc in each tube spot.

I probably have a few (2-4) 6as7/6sn7 to KTxx adapters available, and a few matched KTxx/xxx pairs that I would sell, from my Euforia times.

The nice thing about Euforia is that you can use matched pairs instead of quads of single triodes, and triode strapped pentodes and tetrodes.

You will have to be careful that you don’t exceed the rated heater current for driver and power tubes on the amp. You can easily cheat this, by using powered 6SN7 socket savers, which you should get from @Deyan.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #11,321 of 11,500
I have wanted a nicer OTL for quite some time as my 300 ohm headphone collection has grown. I've only had lesser ones so far and spent over 18 months on the waiting list with 1101 and never got an email or call. I finally decided to give Feliks a chance so I purchased a Euphoria AE today. I don't have it yet, but was surprised at all the tube rolling options. I was familiar with the usual suspects that can be subbed for 6SN7 and 6AS7, etc..., but as I read through here, I was surprised that the KT88s and other pentodes/tetrodes can be used. It's really odd that you can put a single element tube in place of a dual. I thought I read somewhere that the output stage of the Euphoria was a White Cathode Follower type circuit, so that would mean the adapter would have to have a jumper in place of the second tube element? Can anyone confirm the circuit type? No big deal, but it's always easier to come up with tube options if you know the overall design. I have a large collection of pentode and tetrode pairs for other amps so I ordered a set of Xuling's adapters. They're not expensive so I figured I'd have them around if the notion strikes. Anyway, great thread and there is a lot of information here. Perhaps the circuit layout is already covered and I missed it in my searches. Apologies if so. I still have a lot of reading to do.

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #11,322 of 11,500
Considering purchasing a Euforia EVO for use as a daily driver for my D8000 Pros. I intend to use it in combination with a Chord Hugo 2, is this a good pairing in your experience?

Dec 6, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #11,323 of 11,500
Thinking of using KT-88's for driver tubes instead of power tubes in my Evo, has anyone had success with this? I'm using Chatham 5998's for my power tubes and I'm very pleased with them, don't want to replace them unless the KT-88's are an improvement.

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #11,324 of 11,500
Thinking of using KT-88's for driver tubes instead of power tubes in my Evo, has anyone had success with this? I'm using Chatham 5998's for my power tubes and I'm very pleased with them, don't want to replace them unless the KT-88's are an improvement.
I've used KT88 as drivers but found I lost too much gain. Now using Valvo EL11 which is a very good driver with 5998's and gives me plenty of gain.

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #11,325 of 11,500
As long as you do not use KT88 with 5998 to exceed 7A on heaters which I know is a limit on Euforia you are fine.
2 x 1.6A + 2 x 2.5A = 8.2A. You can, however, try 4 x KT88 (one pair drivers and one pair powers) and be in range 4 x 1.6A = 6.4A < 7A.
I do not own anymore a F.A. amplifier but I know these were limits in the past (6.5A for Elise and 7A for Euforia). If newer models do not have them please correct me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back