Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Oct 27, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #11,297 of 11,473
Hello everyone :) I just bought a Feliks Evo, European version but I'm in Canada! I have a few questions and was hoping somebody could help me out
Would I need a downstep transformer? If so any recommendations? Is giving it to an electronic shop to switch it internally a better idea?
-Secondly, what does "230V" and "120V" mean on the back of the Evo? I doubt that it means the amp can be used with both 230v and 120v power outlets without any modifications or a stepdown transfromer?

Super duper excited to fianlly pair my Aeolus with a proper amp after 4 years.

1698447588527.png

Oct 27, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #11,298 of 11,473
Hello everyone :) I just bought a Feliks Evo, European version but I'm in Canada! I have a few questions and was hoping somebody could help me out
Would I need a downstep transformer? If so any recommendations? Is giving it to an electronic shop to switch it internally a better idea?
-Secondly, what does "230V" and "120V" mean on the back of the Evo? I doubt that it means the amp can be used with both 230v and 120v power outlets without any modifications or a stepdown transfromer?

Super duper excited to fianlly pair my Aeolus with a proper amp after 4 years.

1698447588527.png
Hello,
You cannot connect the Evo to the Canadian mains if you have a 230 V version.
You need the downstep transformer mentioned above, which converts 120V to 230V.
I bought one on Ebay for a Japanese toaster.
It's not the same but I would try it if your information is correct.

The red arrow is the crossfeed circuit that has nothing to do with the mains.Is a sound thing.

You must now clarify what version you have, 120 or 230 volts, if you know this, the fuse must also be changed accordingly.

What surprises me is that you have a black dot at 120 V, if I look more closely I see a white X where something has faded.

I would ask Feliks what version it is based on the serial number on the bottom and what your options are.
If you bought it used, I would find out what has been done to it to avoid further complications.
And what further measures would be necessary for stable operation.

I hope this helps.

Oct 27, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #11,299 of 11,473
Sorry the red arrow isn't my drawing. It's just a snapshot from a youtube video. I just meant to show the back of Evo and find out what those "230v and 110v" mean.
I know I have a 230V version. It's brand new and being shipped from Germany.
" if you know this, the fuse must also be changed accordingly."
.Do you mind explain what do you mean by this? Is the fuse inside the amp and needs to be changed?! I'm as uneducated as they come when it comes to electrical stuff, and English being my 2nd language is not helpful either :)
Thank you for your help :)

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #11,300 of 11,473
Sorry the red arrow isn't my drawing. It's just a snapshot from a youtube video. I just meant to show the back of Evo and find out what those "230v and 110v" mean.
I know I have a 230V version. It's brand new and being shipped from Germany.
" if you know this, the fuse must also be changed accordingly."
.Do you mind explain what do you mean by this? Is the fuse inside the amp and needs to be changed?! I'm as uneducated as they come when it comes to electrical stuff, and English being my 2nd language is not helpful either :)
Thank you for your help :)
Yes, that explains a lot.
What I don't understand is why do you buy a Eu version when you have a Us network at home?
The Euforia doesn't have a separate switch where you can set the AC voltage.
It has to be opened and the transformer has to be re-soldered accordingly or even a new one has to be installed that is designed for 120v.
You definitely have to ask Felkis what is possible.
You can try a downstep transformer, but I can't answer whether you can use the Euforia hum-free.
That would be an additional question for Feliks.
As for the fuse, you only have to replace it if it has been converted to 120v.
If you use a downstep transformer, you don't have to.
The fuse is located at the Iec connection (power connection from the Euforia) there is a flap that has to be levered out with a small screwdriver.

In the end it would be better to buy the Us version and not the Eu version, this would cause the least problems and would be the easiest way.
I don't want to stab my compatriot in the back, who is obviously a chef, but he should have known and said so out of kindness.
Which he probably did or you wouldn't be here.
It's not necessarily a deal I would have entered into personally, because there is some money involved, and a German advertisement once said that you don't play with money.

The other option would be to buy it but contact Felkis first and ask them to convert it to 120v.
If it works out, ask the German seller to send it to Poland and Felkis to send it to Canada.
That way the costs would be more or less manageable in terms of shipping.
Shipping the part from Canada to Poland will cost something.
Then you don't need to consider a downstep transformer and other things.

Oct 27, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #11,301 of 11,473
Yes, that explains a lot.
What I don't understand is why do you buy a Eu version when you have a Us network at home?
The Euforia doesn't have a separate switch where you can set the AC voltage.
It has to be opened and the transformer has to be re-soldered accordingly or even a new one has to be installed that is designed for 120v.
You definitely have to ask Felkis what is possible.
You can try a downstep transformer, but I can't answer whether you can use the Euforia hum-free.
That would be an additional question for Feliks.
As for the fuse, you only have to replace it if it has been converted to 120v.
If you use a downstep transformer, you don't have to.
The fuse is located at the Iec connection (power connection from the Euforia) there is a flap that has to be levered out with a small screwdriver.

In the end it would be better to buy the Us version and not the Eu version, this would cause the least problems and would be the easiest way.
I don't want to stab my compatriot in the back, who is obviously a chef, but he should have known and said so out of kindness.
Which he probably did or you wouldn't be here.
It's not necessarily a deal I would have entered into personally, because there is some money involved, and a German advertisement once said that you don't play with money.

The other option would be to buy it but contact Felkis first and ask them to convert it to 120v.
If it works out, ask the German seller to send it to Poland and Felkis to send it to Canada.
That way the costs would be more or less manageable in terms of shipping.
Shipping the part from Canada to Poland will cost something.
Then you don't need to consider a downstep transformer and other things.
Thank you. I doubt the seller would agree to ship it to Feliks and then Feliks to me since I got it on ebay. Will ask him anyway

The price was too good to pass. I will contact Feliks I guess and if they suggested a downstep transformer, I'll do that. If not, I might just resell it.

Nov 19, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #11,302 of 11,473
Any of you listened to both this amp and la figaro 339? Was thinking about this amp for an upgrade.

Nov 23, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #11,303 of 11,473
Hi SMF.

mordy and connieflyer have already given you very good answers...and as cf mentioned, a lot will depend on whether it happens to different tubes, as opposed to just the same one. Some tubes (of the same type) will often have a different glow, as stated.

As this glow comes purely from the heater (anywhere else and you've got big problems!), try 'approved' tubes and see if the same thing happens...and if it does (with several tubes), then it would indicate something amiss with the amp's heater circuit, and would probably need looking at by F-A...(not very likely though!).

I personally would only be concerned if the tube's heater glowed really bright...especially with these particular tubes. Or if the plate started to glow (very rare, thankfully), most probably indicating that the tube needs to be replaced immediately!!

Hopefully it's just variation in certain tubes lol...:ksc75smile:

Anyway SMF, getting back to your own findings re. this family of tubes, I see you like the 4x ST combo. Do you have any of the smoked glass CV1052 at all? As I mentioned previously, my system much prefers this version, and I can't recommend it highly enough. I am more excited even than before, as one of my original 4 (not one of the 3 for £8!) was obviously not functioning 100%, despite supposedly being NOS and measuring strong in all parameters (but no original packaging) - it has already developed serious problems and would have gone straight back, had I not adapted it lol!
But now replaced by another (even using my own adapter, as opposed to adapting the tube directly), the sound is even better...and surpasses anything I've had before by a bigger margin yet!!...This is one very happy bunny, lol...:L3000:

And so I'll post once again what folks who are interested in this tube family might want to keep their eyes open for...perhaps more will surface in time - I sincerely hope so!! :

P1020018.JPG P1020017.JPG

These are specifically for British military use originally (note the arrow etched in the glass), and in their 'cigar' wrapping, with original box...amazing condition for such an old tube. And the glass is 'smoked'...it would appear that this coloured tube performs rather better than the clear ST EL32, and for me, much better than the later straight-sided version. But as usual YMMV!....GOOD LUCK!!...CJ

How very strange that after leaving this thread for many years, I return to show Mullard EL32 smoke glass driving Telefunken EL12 spez in a different amp and all the players and friends have disappeared. 2018 to 2023.... that's a long time.

IMG_8111.jpg

Nov 25, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #11,305 of 11,473
Hi.. :)
I am choosing a tube amp for my Meze Empyrean, DAC TOPPING D70s .

I have two favorites:
MCINTOSH MHA200
VS
Feliks Audio Euforia Evo

What do you think is the best choice - for jazz, vocals, pink floyd etc.
To handle Empyrean well. Have enough energy.

And what about price of tubes?

Nov 25, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #11,306 of 11,473

I have two favorites:
MCINTOSH MHA200
VS
Feliks Audio Euforia Evo

OTL amps in general are poor at running low impedance planars, but the very sensitive Meze planars on Euforia series
are the rare exception. Feliks factually advertises this as a good combination, and it is, though it is still a bit better on a high end SS or OTC amp.

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #11,307 of 11,473
OTL amps in general are poor at running low impedance planars, but the very sensitive Meze planars on Euforia series
are the rare exception. Feliks factually advertises this as a good combination, and it is, though it is still a bit better on a high end SS or OTC amp.
Yes, I am now sure that my headphones will probably be very suitable for this amp. Now I just have to compare with the Macintosh and choose the best for my ears, the feel, but also in price/performance ratio.
I can buy both Feliks and Macintosh for the same money

Nov 26, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #11,308 of 11,473
Hello,
You cannot connect the Evo to the Canadian mains if you have a 230 V version.
You need the downstep transformer mentioned above, which converts 120V to 230V.
I bought one on Ebay for a Japanese toaster.
It's not the same but I would try it if your information is correct.

The red arrow is the crossfeed circuit that has nothing to do with the mains.Is a sound thing.

You must now clarify what version you have, 120 or 230 volts, if you know this, the fuse must also be changed accordingly.

What surprises me is that you have a black dot at 120 V, if I look more closely I see a white X where something has faded.

I would ask Feliks what version it is based on the serial number on the bottom and what your options are.
If you bought it used, I would find out what has been done to it to avoid further complications.
And what further measures would be necessary for stable operation.

I hope this helps.

I found this out the hard way......the fuse is easily removable/changeable, but when I put in the USA/120v fuse in, the unit died. It HAS to be converted internally. Upscale Audio is the USA can do it and will have a faster turnaround time than Feliks because of shipping/customs obstacles.

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #11,309 of 11,473

I have two favorites:
MCINTOSH MHA200
VS
Feliks Audio Euforia Evo

@tomina666 I would go with Feliks Audio Euforia Evo but keep in mind that this will probably result in you wanting Feliks Envy so badly eventually :wink:

One of the best synergy I got with Empys with similar to Evo price tag amp is solid state AuroraSound HEADA. Amazing headphone amp almost like designed for Meze Empys, esepcially when paired with R2R or Chord dacs.

Nov 26, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #11,310 of 11,473
@tomina666 I would go with Feliks Audio Euforia Evo but keep in mind that this will probably result in you wanting Feliks Envy so badly eventually :wink:

One of the best synergy I got with Empys with similar to Evo price tag amp is solid state AuroraSound HEADA. Amazing headphone amp almost like designed for Meze Empys, esepcially when paired with R2R or Chord dacs.
Thanks a lot! The Macintosh is beautiful, a legendary brand... But the Feliks might sound better. I'll have to take a trip and try both amps at once. I'm just a little afraid I'll want a better dac than the Topping. :D But I don't have the money for that right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back