Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jan 19, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #10,846 of 11,472
Are the Sylvania and Tung Sol the most sought after tubes for the Euforia AE? What did they bring to the table in regards to SQ, Base, SS, etc?

Some of the most sought after. Read through the thread for impressions.

This here are the Sylvania 6sn7w and GEC 6as7g in Euforia. My only regret is saying goodbye to this range of tubes.

20170903_171909.jpg

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #10,847 of 11,472
Some of the most sought after. Read through the thread for impressions.

This here are the Sylvania 6sn7w and GEC 6as7g in Euforia. My only regret is saying goodbye to this range of tubes.

Nice picture! One of the reasons why i choosed Euforia is the minimalistic design. Feliks nailed it imo.
The GEC Tubes obviously not cheap, what are the traits of this tubes?

Jan 19, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #10,848 of 11,472
Jan 19, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #10,849 of 11,472
Hello,
@mgsu Your thought is absolutely OK with the fuse and it is also OK if you have invested in cables before to change the fuse.

As cables tend to contribute a bit more but also only subtly.

In the Eu versions the 1.6A/T come in.
Also for the AE.

The SR Purpel is supposed to be good but personally a bit much.

An alternative would be the Hifi Tuning Silver/Gold, currently and recently I have a fuse from Refine in it.
Which, by the way, is available in Germany.
Unfortunately I can't say much about it yet because it's only been in there for a week.
And the amplifier hasn't run much yet.
And it seems to be a good fuse for now.

I have to agree with the other colleagues that changing the tubes would be a better solution.
Especially the Ps Vane against Nos and the 6as7G against Nos bring the most changes.

The Ps Vane are okay but relatively dry and very neutral and not as expansive as the Nos tubes.
The ideal would be to listen to them first and then decide in which direction they want to go or what they lack to compensate.

The Dac on the Euforia also contributes a lot and is important in the chain.

@Koren in which direction of the Dac do you want to go?
Warm, neutral, analytical?
What is your current setup on the Euforia?

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #10,850 of 11,472
Hello,
@mgsu Your thought is absolutely OK with the fuse and it is also OK if you have invested in cables before to change the fuse.

As cables tend to contribute a bit more but also only subtly.

In the Eu versions the 1.6A/T come in.
Also for the AE.

The SR Purpel is supposed to be good but personally a bit much.

An alternative would be the Hifi Tuning Silver/Gold, currently and recently I have a fuse from Refine in it.
Which, by the way, is available in Germany.
Unfortunately I can't say much about it yet because it's only been in there for a week.
And the amplifier hasn't run much yet.
And it seems to be a good fuse for now.

I have to agree with the other colleagues that changing the tubes would be a better solution.
Especially the Ps Vane against Nos and the 6as7G against Nos bring the most changes.

The Ps Vane are okay but relatively dry and very neutral and not as expansive as the Nos tubes.
The ideal would be to listen to them first and then decide in which direction they want to go or what they lack to compensate.

The Dac on the Euforia also contributes a lot and is important in the chain.

@Koren in which direction of the Dac do you want to go?
Warm, neutral, analytical?
What is your current setup on the Euforia?
Thank mate for the info,
My DAC atm is a Gustard R26 R2R and RME ADI 2, i thin these are more on the warm to neutral side.
I would love to go more for warmth. HP are Utopia OG and Arya Stealth.

Jan 20, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #10,851 of 11,472
In terms of sound quality, driver tubes count for tubes, don't they? i think because the PsVane CV-181 Mk2 “Gold” is $220 and the 6N13S (NOS) is $25. anyway, the power tube doesn't count that much, to put such a cheap one in a 2700 dollar amplifier? Because if the amplifier were to be very restrained, I am sure that the manufacturer would not offer it at the factory.

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #10,853 of 11,472
@mgsu

I've also been the owner of the R26 for 2 weeks.
I still need some time with it and am towards the end of the burn in phase.
So what I hear with the R26 and the Zmf Auteur it fits very well with the Euforia.
The Dac does a very good job.

My tubes are currently the 5998 tung sols and 6SN7 Linlai.
The Linlai tubes definitely give a warmer touch.
Otherwise, Vt 231 are not wrong if you can find some.
The combination Linlai 6sn7 + 6080 Mullard spontaneously comes to mind.
Unfortunately, Mullard also have their price.

@Koren

Both make a difference.
The sales version of the tube combination from Feliks is designed more for neutrality and transparency.
The price does not play a role for the time being.
The Svetlana tube masks very strongly, you will notice this when you have replaced it with something better like 6080 Mullard.
Nevertheless, a very good Dac has even more influence on the Euforia.

I have been listening with the Singxer Sda 2 for a long time and recently got the Gustard R26.
There was a clear difference.

If you are looking for a dac up to 500€, I would definitely go for a stand alone dac, not one with an integrated amplifier.
The Bifrost 2 used to be a good pairing with the Euforia when it was available for $500.
I recently had the Ifi Zen Dac on the table which was not bad, but I would go for the signature version.
It's also a bit hard for me to recommend any dacs, because last year we were quite clearly flooded with ESS chip dacs, especially from Chinese manufacturers.
And not everything was solved elegantly or even consistently.
The only one that stood out to me was the Eversolo Z8.
But I can't say whether it fits with Euforia.

Maybe others have a better suggestion for a good Dac pairing.

On my older Euforia, the crossfeed switch is deactivated when it is pressed in at the bottom.
I assume it has been retained on the Evo.
Otherwise, if you hear more left/right separations, the crossfeed is off.
It is switched on when you hardly notice it and the music has a more centric effect on you.
At least that was my impression.

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #10,856 of 11,472
I haven't purchased a tube amp before, but have always had a Feliks Euphoria in my mind as the one I wanted to buy. Should that change now with the state of tubes right now? I've seen a Euphoria for a great price, but am having second thoughts. Is that why some are dumping them?

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #10,857 of 11,472
I haven't purchased a tube amp before, but have always had a Feliks Euphoria in my mind as the one I wanted to buy. Should that change now with the state of tubes right now? I've seen a Euphoria for a great price, but am having second thoughts. Is that why some are dumping them?
Stock types are getting scarce, if you're willing to use adapters you have an endless supply tho

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #10,858 of 11,472
Stock types are getting scarce, if you're willing to use adapters you have an endless supply tho
I've owned both Elise and Euforia for over 4 years and have rarely used stock tubes in either. Had no issues what so ever. I bought both my amps secondhand so loosing warranty was never an issue. At present the tubes I'm using in both amps are KT66 and KT88's (Euforia also 2 xGU50's with appropriate adapter). I've been lucky enough to get GEC tubes for fairly decent prices after shopping around but Gold Lion tubes are very good also and much cheaper. I don't believe getting decent tubes is that much of an issue if your willing to try non stock tubes. Even suitable Nos tubes can usually still be located at reasonable cost.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #10,859 of 11,472
Hello,

Yes, it's still worth going there, even though the prices have gone up a lot.
There are always good bargains to be had on the tubes.
And the Euforia is still the friendliest amp as mentioned above in terms of converting to other tubes.
And it is also capable of upgrading in certain ways that even lesser tubes still perform very well, but that's another topic.
If you find a used Euforia, you can't do better than this.
Apart from that, you will eventually have enough tubes for the Euforia.

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #10,860 of 11,472
Hey everyone, reading this thread for past month, finally registered an account. I recently purchased Feliks Euforia Evo and havig a blast with my Verite Open, compared to my old burson soloist, there is considerably more detail, bass, warmth and overall smoothness. Loving the amp.

I got a chance to get a ZMF Caldera recently, which I will receive somtime in February, I am not entirely sure if Euforia Evo will drive them well. Anyone ran Caldera with it? I read a lot of praise of how well the amp drives plannars like Meze Empyreans and Elite but rarely see anything about Caldera. Any input on it is highly appreciated.

Another question would be about the tubes. I am aware that Euforia Evo is tuned to be neutral detailed and clear and I really like the current sound. Still, I appreciate warmth on tubes too, is there anything I should consider buying which is availible in Europe? Shouldnt be too expensive, but if there is a must get tube set for Euforia, I would consider tubes for 200-300 EUR. Preferably without modding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back