Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Aug 4, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #10,546 of 11,472
I just wanted to reappear in this thread and confirm again that this amp is delightful as heck with the stock drivers as well - I can't get the same sound with my other drivers (Sylvania VT-231, Sylvania 6SN7WGT x2, Sylvania 6SN7W x2).
Although they're all Sylvs, they all sound WILDLY different.

So don't feel the need to immediately accessorize if you A) are happy and B) have not spend enough time on stock tubes.
Definitely get used to the sound, you might really like it.

I want to try Melzes and some Tung Sols and many many others, but frankly these Psvanes have been super surprising at how much more spacious and smooth they sound after running them for many a month with GEC 6080s as powers (juicy basscannons), which I prefer to even the Tung Sol 5998 (that have been reduced to being a fancy decorative element in my setup? *sigh*).

This all depends on the rest of your chain of course - I really think my OG Yggy A1 (you can probably grab this for much cheaper now) with Lynx AES16e Soundcard helps and while there may be "better" DACs out there I don't want to fiddle with a result that exactly suits my tastes.

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #10,547 of 11,472
I just wanted to reappear in this thread and confirm again that this amp is delightful as heck with the stock drivers as well - I can't get the same sound with my other drivers (Sylvania VT-231, Sylvania 6SN7WGT x2, Sylvania 6SN7W x2).

So don't feel the need to immediately accessorize if you A) are happy and B) have not spend enough time on stock tubes.
Definitely get used to the sound, you might really like it.

I want to try Melzes and some Tung Sols and many many others, but frankly these Psvanes have been super surprising at how much more spacious and smooth they sound after running them for many a month with GEC 6080s as powers (juicy basscannons), which I prefer to even the Tung Sol 5998 (that have been reduced to being a fancy decorative element in my setup? *sigh*).

This all depends on the rest of your chain of course - I really think my OG Yggy A1 (you can probably grab this for much cheaper now) with Lynx AES16e Soundcard helps and while there may be "better" DACs out there I don't want to fiddle with a result that exactly suits my tastes.
I tried a lot of power tubes in the Euforia and also came to the conclusion that the GEC 6080 sounded the best.
At this point, however, they have been replaced by multiples of the Melz 6N12S tubes. Unfortunately the Melz tubes are very hard to find at reasonable prices any more.
It is a deep sense of satisfaction to find a tube combination that you are completely satisfied with…
Until…

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #10,548 of 11,472
I can't get the same sound with my other drivers (Sylvania VT-231, Sylvania 6SN7WGT x2, Sylvania 6SN7W x2).
How does the 6sn7wgt compare to the others ? I don't have them in my collection.

GEC 6080s as powers (juicy basscannons),
I think the bass is the only region where the GEC 6080 is lacking. It's tight and controlled.
5998 is much more punchy.

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #10,549 of 11,472
How does the 6sn7wgt compare to the others ? I don't have them in my collection.

I can't tell you how they compare directly to one another as much as I can tell you that I wasn't a huge fan of any of them.
They're certainly not the most sought after (like the Bad Boys or the W) - I believe they were some of the first ones I had to replace the stock ones, and one of them had a slight hum to it - so that's already a negative experience from the off.
They basically didn't convince me to live with a little hum as a trade-off.
I actually felt like the soundstage closed in on them and given the Utopias more narrow stage that was pretty unacceptable for me.
Perhaps YMMV on headphones like the HD800, which are the big daddys of wideness and that may synergise better.

I got a second pair without humming action and they didn't blow me away like I assumed any NOS driver replacement would - unlike the GEC powers for example, where I really felt a "vast" improvement - warmness, bass and audible instrument separation.
The most apt word I can think of currently to describe the 6SN7WGT is "unexciting".

Then I paid out of my bum for a pair of matched fancy NOS 5998 and those were definitely what I would call slightly "overhyped" on my setup - they're good, don't get me wrong, but I feel like they lack that final touch of warmness that the GECs have.

I owned the ZMF VC until recently (very missed but need money for other frivolities) and I think the 5998s were potentially a better match there but I didn't give it enough time and I don't want to change tubes constantly every time I change headphones.
I almost considered buying a flippin ZMF Pendant JUST for the ZMFs because of that.

Once I come back around to wanting more headphone action I'll have another look at ZMF - because I could live with either, ZMF or Focal to be honest - but I don't want multiple high-end cans hanging around.

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #10,550 of 11,472
I can't tell you how they compare directly to one another as much as I can tell you that I wasn't a huge fan of any of them.
They're certainly not the most sought after (like the Bad Boys or the W) - I believe they were some of the first ones I had to replace the stock ones, and one of them had a slight hum to it - so that's already a negative experience from the off.
They basically didn't convince me to live with a little hum as a trade-off.
I actually felt like the soundstage closed in on them and given the Utopias more narrow stage that was pretty unacceptable for me.
Perhaps YMMV on headphones like the HD800, which are the big daddys of wideness and that may synergise better.

I got a second pair without humming action and they didn't blow me away like I assumed any NOS driver replacement would - unlike the GEC powers for example, where I really felt a "vast" improvement - warmness, bass and audible instrument separation.
The most apt word I can think of currently to describe the 6SN7WGT is "unexciting".

Then I paid out of my bum for a pair of matched fancy NOS 5998 and those were definitely what I would call slightly "overhyped" on my setup - they're good, don't get me wrong, but I feel like they lack that final touch of warmness that the GECs have.

I owned the ZMF VC until recently (very missed but need money for other frivolities) and I think the 5998s were potentially a better match there but I didn't give it enough time and I don't want to change tubes constantly every time I change headphones.
I almost considered buying a flippin ZMF Pendant JUST for the ZMFs because of that.

Once I come back around to wanting more headphone action I'll have another look at ZMF - because I could live with either, ZMF or Focal to be honest - but I don't want multiple high-end cans hanging around.
One does not buy 5998s for warmth. They will sound sterile AF on Utopia or Clear Mg, but extremely detailed. If you will, they enhance the "deficiencies" of that kind of tuning. Obviously driver tube choices can mitigate or worsen this. I actually liked to use 5998 in a splitter with KT150 or KT88, with brighter, reference tuned headphones. Great combination for HD800S as well.

Aug 4, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #10,551 of 11,472
One does not buy 5998s for warmth. They will sound sterile AF on Utopia or Clear Mg, but extremely detailed. If you will, they enhance the "deficiencies" of that kind of tuning. Obviously driver tube choices can mitigate or worsen this. I actually liked to use 5998 in a splitter with KT150 or KT88, with brighter, reference tuned headphones. Great combination for HD800S as well.
I would say that's an important thing to mention - generally it is assumed that "the best" means "the best for everyone" - I let myself be mislead that way quite often and I never learn.
That's definitely not the case with something as highly subjective as tubes (and headphones of course).

But this is just fluff I wrote not to be off-topic, what I actually wanted to say is: You have a Slayer Espresso machine? Flippin hell.
I only wanted to look at your headphones but that is much more interesting. :p
I recently got a Lelit Bianca and I thought *I* went a bit mad there.

Can I also ask which headphones out of the ZMF Verite and the Mezes you prefer on your Euforia? (to bring it back on topic but I really care more about your Espresso setup)

Aug 4, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #10,552 of 11,472
I would say that's an important thing to mention - generally it is assumed that "the best" means "the best for everyone" - I let myself be mislead that way quite often and I never learn.
That's definitely not the case with something as highly subjective as tubes (and headphones of course).

But this is just fluff I wrote not to be off-topic, what I actually wanted to say is: You have a Slayer Espresso machine? Flippin hell.
I only wanted to look at your headphones but that is much more interesting. :p
I recently got a Lelit Bianca and I thought *I* went a bit mad there.

Can I also ask which headphones out of the ZMF Verite and the Mezes you prefer on your Euforia? (to bring it back on topic but I really care more about your Espresso setup)
Actually the Slayer is for sale. I have a La Marzocco Leva X now. Where did you get my coffee connection? Feel free to talk coffee here by PM, or on other fora, in which you have likely found me. Bianca is a great machine.

I prefer Meze Elite (and Empy and Liric) on everything, but as an OTL amp, Euforia drives Elite less to its full potential than Verité Open to its.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #10,553 of 11,472
Actually the Slayer is for sale. I have a La Marzocco Leva X now. Where did you get my coffee connection? Feel free to talk coffee here by PM, or on other fora, in which you have likely found me. Bianca is a great machine.

I prefer Meze Elite (and Empy and Liric) on everything, but as an OTL amp, Euforia drives Elite less to its full potential than Verité Open to its.
Good Lord that's a beast of a machine.

I just usually look at people's profiles in the various threads I'm in to see what headphones/amps/DACs/tubes everyone is using with the respective gear that the thread is about and I make notes of what I potentially would like to try myself.
I saw you had your coffee gear listed there and I JUST got into Espresso making with a Sage Oracle first, which came with a busted grinder (luckily I suppose in hindsight), and then I switched immediately to a Bianca + Niche Zero, which has blown my mind in terms of not just taste but also fun.
Also your grinder I assume is a Monolith Flat Max?

I always have this idea in the back of my head still that I need the Empyrean, which apparently works superbly well with the Euforia - but then I put on my headphones and I realise I'm not missing anything and that would just be overkill that'd eventually end in me selling another headphone at a loss.
Perhaps I can audition one at some point on my own setup.
Verite open is also something to consider now.

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #10,554 of 11,472
Good Lord that's a beast of a machine.

I just usually look at people's profiles in the various threads I'm in to see what headphones/amps/DACs/tubes everyone is using with the respective gear that the thread is about and I make notes of what I potentially would like to try myself.
I saw you had your coffee gear listed there and I JUST got into Espresso making with a Sage Oracle first, which came with a busted grinder (luckily I suppose in hindsight), and then I switched immediately to a Bianca + Niche Zero, which has blown my mind in terms of not just taste but also fun.
Also your grinder I assume is a Monolith Flat Max?

I always have this idea in the back of my head still that I need the Empyrean, which apparently works superbly well with the Euforia - but then I put on my headphones and I realise I'm not missing anything and that would just be overkill that'd eventually end in me selling another headphone at a loss.
Perhaps I can audition one at some point on my own setup.
Verite open is also something to consider now.
I have two Kafatek MAX (SLM and SSW burrs) grinders and and MC4 at home Paired with Leva X and CT2. I have another MAX at work (SSP LU burrs), paired with DE1.

I'm holding onto VO and Empy for now, but I may sell the VO, if i find it doesn't trransform to something even more amazing on Envy when it eventually arrives. Empy may go too, but less likely, as that is rumored to be one of the best pairings for stock performance Envy.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #10,555 of 11,472
I'm trying to use EL12 spez tubes as power tubes for the Euphoria. I got adapters by @Deyan but sadly I received terrible loud hum in both channels with 2 pairs of Telefunken and one pair of Tesla EL12 spez. Seems like their are not compatible.

Somebody had the same experience with EL12 spez tubes?
I'm wondering why it doesn't work. EL11 works perfectly.

Aug 9, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #10,556 of 11,472
I'm trying to use EL12 spez tubes as power tubes for the Euphoria. I got adapters by @Deyan but sadly I received terrible loud hum in both channels with 2 pairs of Telefunken and one pair of Tesla EL12 spez. Seems like their are not compatible.

Do a search on both Elise and Euforia threads for EL 12 spez tubes. I seem to remember there were a lot of issues with hum. One reason I gave them a miss, although when they did work they appeared to be very good.

Aug 9, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #10,557 of 11,472
I use the El 12 in both the Elise the Euphoria and the AE and never had a problem. The pair I had that were converted by hypnose one. They were great tubes ran them with the El 11 for drivers in the El 12s for power

Aug 9, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #10,558 of 11,472
I use the El 12 in both the Elise the Euphoria and the AE and never had a problem. The pair I had that were converted by hypnose one. They were great tubes ran them with the El 11 for drivers in the El 12s for power
The EL12 Spez has a top anode cap - different from the EL12 that does not have the top anode connection.
1660100638087.png

1660100675910.png

Which EL12 are you referring to, or are you referring to both?

Aug 10, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #10,559 of 11,472
The EL12 Spez has a top anode cap - different from the EL12 that does not have the top anode connection.

I have problems with EL12 spez as power tubes.
Super loud hum, seems to not be compatible with the amp. I did try several pairs, all had the same problem. @Deyan said they might be self oscillating. What can be the cause of that ? Are the tubes faulty, the adapters or the Euphoria AE just can't handle them ? Maybe I need to to use EL11 as driver ?

EL11/EL3N is working perfectly as driver tubes for me.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #10,560 of 11,472
1660100638087.png
1660100675910.png
Yes Mordy, I have both. Referring to the top anode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back