Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #10,531 of 11,519
I also am using the Spring 3 KTE (non preamp version) with my Euforia and I absolutely love it. Agreed with the above poster about it being an absolutely significant upgrade over the Bifrost 2 that I originally had.

I did notice via Windows that the line was getting clipped (nothing audible) so I’m currently using Equalizer APO to lower the global volume by just a few db and that isn’t showing up at all anymore. You can’t go wrong with this pairing

Jul 23, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #10,532 of 11,519
Hello,
Thanks for the great impressions 🙏.

Hmm, yes, with the preamplifier I also thought that I would just lower the overall volume on the PC and the clipping should be gone.
I don't want to have much to do with Apo, I've tried that a few times and didn't really get on with it.
That's why it's a big red dotted circle 😁.

Do you think you can put aside the criticism about the spring on the Euforia and just adjust the rest with the tubes?
Have I understood that correctly?

The only question left is KTE version or Lv2 Spring?
I think the KTE might be too much because I changed the capacitors on the Euforia.
Should I decide on the Spring after all or get my hands on it as a test project.
By too much I mean colouring, smoothness etc..
That's why I'm thinking about the Lv2 version because it was still kept "normal".

I have no doubts that it is an upgrade compared to the Delta sigmas, I still use one myself 🫣.

Jul 28, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #10,533 of 11,519
I had a pleasure to listen to Euforia AE for a short period of time yesterday. Lumin D2 has been used as a dac (all tracks were from Tidal), and unfortunately I had only time for testing Focal Clears MG while also there were Meze Elite available for testing to name a few other headphones.

Here are my brief impressions with Lumin D2 and Focal Clear MGs:
  • The bass and sound control are great.
  • I haven’t felt any microdetails were lost. It is very detailed amp.
  • The sound was not as soft and warm as I would expect (but this could be due to Lumin sound signature, I really need to test Euforia with Rockna WaveLight and Hugo TT2).
  • It excels with classical music, not much with rock or grunge.
  • I suspect it may sound better with some easier to drive planars than with dynamic cans like Clears.
  • Great volume pot. I haven’t noticed any channel imbalance or other issues. However I only set it up once, adjusted one more time for testing and never touched it again. I liked the feeling of the know when turning it, you can’t change volume accidentally and you have a feeling of very good control of volume level.
I wonder if my opinion and findings is different from yours? One important thing to mention is that those were new tubes below 150 hours of operation.

Here is my playlist if anyone is interested:

Euforia AE playlist tidal.jpg

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #10,535 of 11,519
EUFORIA only has rca input can we get some kind of converter to be able to use XLR connection on DAC
I also have the Euforia (20th Anniversary Edition) and solved this issue (brilliantly) with the Decware ZBit XLR to RCA converter box. It uses a Jensen transformer so isn't cheap ($800) but was one of the best audio decisions I've ever made and baffles me why this topic (and gear) is not mentioned more often. Ampsandsound also makes the equivalent converter for the same price. I own both .. one for my speaker system and the other for headphone system ... and at this point there are no noticeable differences between the two converters. Both high-end, high-quality products. I don't hesitate to recommend for anyone going from a DAC balanced output to single ended preamp/amp input.

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #10,537 of 11,519
Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #10,538 of 11,519
Hey guys, is there a tube rolling post/guide/thread for this particular amp? I remember there being an old post (on head-fi, I think) which was like a 6SN7 bible, giving detailed impressions of most popular NOS and new variants of that tube.

I’m hoping there’s something similar for this amp, as I’ve tried searching but it’s difficult to gauge general opinion without reading all 700-odd pages.

I love how neutral the amp sounds with the stock tubes, so if there’s any recommendations to improve on that aspect then feel free to share. I’ve moved away from lush, smooth, rolled off tube amps and now im really enjoying how almost SS this amp is, but with a lot of the benefits a tube amp can bring

Jul 30, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #10,539 of 11,519
Between this and the Elise threads, there are years and dozens of users’ tube rolling experiences, along with the interactions and contributions of some very experienced and great head-fi’ers. Putting in the time to get through the threads will yield much about what can be done with these very versatile amps.

Jul 30, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #10,540 of 11,519
Deleted.

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #10,541 of 11,519
Hey guys, is there a tube rolling post/guide/thread for this particular amp? I remember there being an old post (on head-fi, I think) which was like a 6SN7 bible, giving detailed impressions of most popular NOS and new variants of that tube.

I’m hoping there’s something similar for this amp, as I’ve tried searching but it’s difficult to gauge general opinion without reading all 700-odd pages.

I love how neutral the amp sounds with the stock tubes, so if there’s any recommendations to improve on that aspect then feel free to share. I’ve moved away from lush, smooth, rolled off tube amps and now im really enjoying how almost SS this amp is, but with a lot of the benefits a tube amp can bring
1. Start with rolling the power tubes. For something reasonable, try the GEC 6080. For something pricey, many people have landed on the Tung Sol 5998 or WE421A.

2. For the input tubes, there are many reasonably priced 6SN7’s. I would start with Sylvania, either the Chrome tops or the most excellent VT-231’s. Many like the Melz 1578’s from the late 50’s and early 60’s. At a much higher price the TS Black Glass Round Plates are highly regarded.

Jul 30, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #10,542 of 11,519
1. Start with rolling the power tubes. For something reasonable, try the GEC 6080. For something pricey, many people have landed on the Tung Sol 5998 or WE421A.

2. For the input tubes, there are many reasonably priced 6SN7’s. I would start with Sylvania, either the Chrome tops or the most excellent VT-231’s. Many like the Melz 1578’s from the late 50’s and early 60’s. At a much higher price the TS Black Glass Round Plates are highly regarded.
In what way will the GEC 6080 change the sound compared to stock?

I’m familiar with the 6SN7s and variants you mentioned. They’re all excellent tubes - at one point I had a couple of the Sylvania “Bad Boys”, but they got sold with another amp. I don’t think the sound would suit what I’m after either, as I remember the PSVanes that come as stock to be far more neutral and SS like (which is the sound I’m wanting)

Jul 30, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #10,543 of 11,519

I’m familiar with the 6SN7s and variants you mentioned. They’re all excellent tubes - at one point I had a couple of the Sylvania “Bad Boys”, but they got sold with another amp. I don’t think the sound would suit what I’m after either, as I remember the PSVanes that come as stock to be far more neutral and SS like (which is the sound I’m wanting)
I found the GEC 6080’s opened up the soundstage and provided much better bass than the stock tubes. For the 6SN7’s, my 1988 Melz 1578’s sound very SS-ish. I prefer the warmth of the VT-231’s so to each his own.

But if you like like stock tubes save yourself some time and a bunch of money and enjoy what you have.

Jul 30, 2022 at 11:31 PM Post #10,544 of 11,519

If you want SS sound, the Tung Sol 7236 power tubes is the way to go.

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #10,545 of 11,519
I found the GEC 6080’s opened up the soundstage and provided much better bass than the stock tubes. For the 6SN7’s, my 1988 Melz 1578’s sound very SS-ish. I prefer the warmth of the VT-231’s so to each his own.

But if you like like stock tubes save yourself some time and a bunch of money and enjoy what you have.
Do the 6080s soften transients or roll off the highs at all? I’ve got another tube amp that has all the typical tube characteristics, and I want to try and keep the Euforia feeling fast and well extended

Users who are viewing this thread

Back