Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 17, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #10,516 of 11,519
Which 6080 that I can find in stores such as tubedepot can you recommend me? I was also thinking into jump to the KT88 as power tubes. I read that a while ago in this tread.
I've tried various new production tubes and the only one I kept is Genalex Gold Lion KT88, really a very fine tube and worked great in my Elise with adapters.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #10,518 of 11,519
I've tried various new production tubes and the only one I kept is Genalex Gold Lion KT88, really a very fine tube and worked great in my Elise with adapters.
I have the adapters, I never got to try any KT88
Depends on what you are willing to spend?
What headphones do you use to listen to the Euforia?
I use mostly the HD800S and, recently, the Stellia. Regarding how much I am willing to spend... that is a thought question because I hate thinking "what if," especially given the variability in the cost of tubes. I checked the KT88 Genalex Gold Lion, and for about $200, the pair from a reputable store is doable for me. I am most against trying cheap tubes, performance-wise, given the entry cost of the Euforia. For me is like having a TOL turntable and then using a $20 cartridge.

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #10,519 of 11,519
Okay, I don't know the 2 headphones respectively have never heard them.
I would rather buy something if you can tell what you are missing or what you are aiming for.
I think so can recommend something you are looking for instead of something wrong.
@Renexx might have some good recommendations for tubes.

But as a note, even cheap tubes can perform that doesn't mean anything.
They used to be all tubes where you paid 5-10$ for them.
The only people who made them expensive are the people who sell them.

As a rough example the General Electric 6080 is more forward sounding, great bass and overall a bit slow and analogue for 50-70$ is not bad.
Better is always possible of course

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #10,520 of 11,519
Okay, I don't know the 2 headphones respectively have never heard them.
I would rather buy something if you can tell what you are missing or what you are aiming for.
I think so can recommend something you are looking for instead of something wrong.
@Renexx might have some good recommendations for tubes.

But as a note, even cheap tubes can perform that doesn't mean anything.
They used to be all tubes where you paid 5-10$ for them.
The only people who made them expensive are the people who sell them.

As a rough example the General Electric 6080 is more forward sounding, great bass and overall a bit slow and analogue for 50-70$ is not bad.
Better is always possible of course
Thanks for the advice. That points me in the right direction.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #10,521 of 11,519
Really enjoying the Euforia AE, a clear step forward from my beloved Elise. Happily, I have many tubes from Elise which are a great pleasure to use in Euforia. Here are Siemens EL11 drivers with Ken-Rad 6Y6G powers, using adapters from @Deyan of course:

Siemens EL11 & Ken-Rad 6Y6G in Euforia AE (7-17-22).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #10,522 of 11,519
Hello all. I have a question. Does anyone uses (or have tried) the Chord Hugo TT2 as DAC with the Euforia (AE)? I want to try an FPGA DAC, and it appears that Chord measures better than the PS Audio DirectStream.

Jul 19, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #10,523 of 11,519
Hello all. I have a question. Does anyone uses (or have tried) the Chord Hugo TT2 as DAC with the Euforia (AE)? I want to try an FPGA DAC, and it appears that Chord measures better than the PS Audio DirectStream.

I have tried it and it really makes sing the Euforia AE.
Bigger soundstage, better layering and better resolver than my RME ADI-2 PRO AE.
It has a built-in headphone amplifier that is quite good but I prefer it out of the Euforia AE.

However around the same time I also audited the HoloAudio Spring3 KTE, a R2R DAC and I preferred this over the TT2 (I had both for a week).
The Spring3 shares around the same qualities as the TT2 but it sounds more analog (more realistic) and native DSD support is the best I have ever experienced.

The TT2 is brighter than the Spring3.

Both DACs sound amazing with the Euforia, a full class over my ADI2 PRO.
To be honest I was initially skeptical than any DAC would beat my ADI-2 PRO and if so I thought it would be so minimal that I would not able to tell the difference, but I was literally blown away with the performance of both DACs. I have to thank @Renexx for showing me that my DAC was holding my system back. I wish I could have audited his Rockna Wavelight (also a R2R DAC) as well.

I will get my Spring3 KTE (+preamp module) in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #10,524 of 11,519
@Sajid Amit I noticed that you have both Euforia AE and Holo May. Have you tried connecting Euforia directly to May's RCA output? The reason I'm asking is that I have May incoming and it has 2.9Vrms output for RCA and Euforia's max input voltage is 1.8Vrms. They commented to me from Feliks that it should be ok, but I'm still nervous as I don't understand how this all works and what are the actual consequences.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #10,525 of 11,519
@Sajid Amit I noticed that you have both Euforia AE and Holo May. Have you tried connecting Euforia directly to May's RCA output? The reason I'm asking is that I have May incoming and it has 2.9Vrms output for RCA and Euforia's max input voltage is 1.8Vrms. They commented to me from Feliks that it should be ok, but I'm still nervous as I don't understand how this all works and what are the actual consequences.

I had here the HoloAudio Spring3 KT3, without preamp module (they sent me the wrong version. The preamp version is on the way), which has the same output level as the May and "it works" with the Euforia. @SlothRock owns the same DAC.

I quoted "it works" because specially with the Utopias (more sensitive) the output was too high and I could only use the first 3 volume marks of the Euforia (out of 21) which I can image is not the most optimal operating point. As work around you could use the digital volume to reduce the output (Foobar volume for example), but that is really a bad idea since you will be compromising your dynamic range. In the case of @SlothRock the problem was not so severe as with the Utopias, because his headphones (ZMF) are less sensitive which allow him a bigger volume range. But in the general case a preamp is recommended (this way the dynamic range is not compromised) and the one built-in on the Spring3 is quite good. Too bad that for the May that option is not available.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #10,526 of 11,519
Yup. I do it all the time. Works beautifully.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #10,527 of 11,519
Thanks to both of you. I'll try direct then first and see if I like the sound as is. Main target is Utopia for me as well.

Jul 22, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #10,528 of 11,519
I also have Euphoria AE and May. It works perfectly off the RCA output of May.

Jul 22, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #10,529 of 11,519
Hello,
Can those who have the Spring 3 give some impressions of how it sounds on the Euforia?

I personally hear good but also not so good at the price tag.
And always the question with or without preamp.

I had already thought about the Spring 3 rather than Lv2 should I take one.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #10,530 of 11,519
I have Spring 3 KTE with Preamp, as well as May KTE. I’ve used both with Euforia AE, and they sound outstanding. The difference between the two DACs is detectable, but not huge. If the money is a factor, get Spring and be happy. I did not find it necessary to turn down the volume below 94, which is the equivalent of using it without pre-amp. Works fine at full power too.

With Stuff at this level, to maximize your sound quality, you have to have clean power and better than Walmart cables/interconnects.

Spring and May are the most significant upgrade to my systems to date. Surprisingly large step up from the RMEs they replaced.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back