Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 7, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #10,501 of 11,519
How is
FELIKS AUDIO EUFORIA 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
With HD800S? How's the synergy? Compared to other tube amps?

Or Woo audio WA2 or WA22

Feel free to name drop tubeamp recommendations.

Bought the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos SS amp and it does not pair well imo. To bright and lacks bass imo.

Hello,

Let me get this straight.
The Euforia does not have a tight, thick and lush bass like other amplifiers because of its tuning, which is kept relatively neutral.

Especially with the standard tubes in combination with the Hd 800, the bass will be very bloodless in this respect, just like with the Lcd 2 C.

With the LCD 2C, a tube change helped a lot with the HD 800, but I can't speak to how it behaves.

As a rule of thumb, however, you can say that the Euforia can take back the bass even with headphones with strong bass.
This can sometimes be good, sometimes not so good.
In summary, however, the Euforia in combination with the Hd800 will probably be very thin in the bass range, have a great midrange with an extremely extended treble range.

Some like it, some don't.
It's a matter of taste and also a bit on the type of music you listen to pro and con.
For classical orchestra, the Hd is certainly the best, but for other genres of music, a Zmf Aeolus,Auteur,Atrium,Emu Teak,Fostex Th900,Focal palette and a few other headphones will be much better.

I would change the stock tubes now if you haven't changed tubes yet.
If that doesn't suit you, I think you should change to a different headphone.

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #10,502 of 11,519
I should mention, for my tastes the Atrium and Euforia's tuning are an excellent match. The Atrium's are 'ZMF neutral', and the Euforia is pretty neutral too, so there's room to brighten or warm up the sound to taste. Enjoyed using the thompson 6080, LinLai 6SN7, Sylvania VT-231, stock tubes and more.
Have you had the chance to compare the Atrium with other headphones? I would like to try them at some point.

Jul 9, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #10,503 of 11,519
Hello,
This is just an example of what it should look like.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/141164611004

I wouldn't take this now because the cable is much too long at 5 m.
There are shorter pieces with a length of just under 15 - 30 cm, which is sufficient.

Otherwise, take a look at Hart Audio cables and see if you can find what you're looking for.

https://hartaudiocables.com/pages/custom-shop
Make an enquiry there, because I haven't found anything in the shop at the last minute.
Or other cable manufacturers who offer such cables at an acceptable price.
It doesn't have to cost a fortune.
Hart audio cables are relatively cheap.

If you know someone or are a bit experienced yourself, you can also do it yourself.
You only need a 6.3mm jack plug as input and the counterpart for the plug as output and preferably a 4-core cable.
And solder the same colours of the cable at the respective ends for right, left and ground.
The other cable in the 4-wire cable does not need any attention as you only need 3 poles.
It is relatively quick to do if you know how to solder a little, so it should not be a big problem.

And congratulations on the Euforia if you have it.😉
I second that. Hart Audio is really good, but for my Euforia AE and HD800, I use a Plusound. Christian from Plusound made a custom X8, and the difference over the OEM cable was impressive. I also use an X8 "extension" to avoid plugging and unplugging my HD800 into the Euforia.

Jul 11, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #10,504 of 11,519
Just wanted to post a tidbit here that isn't meant to offend, annoy, or ruffle any feathers.

Euforia was my dream amp for many years. I finally purchased it last year and I liked it. I did copious amounts of tube rolling on it, utilizing many NOS tubes, as well as many new production models as well.

Thus, I had lots of 6SN7 / 6AS7 (6080) tubes laying around, including many multiples of each which were just about identical to one another. On a whim, I decided to purchase the xDuoo TA-26 a few months ago for $300 or so off Amazon. They're both OTLs, and like the Euforia, it used the same exact tube types. I owned both extensively for months, swapped back and forth every so often, got many people to do listening and swapping tests with me (dragged the spouse, friends, and my parents into my shenanigans) and whatnot.

And the conclusion that we all came to... is that they sound almost identical. Euforia has a slight edge by about 10% in the sense that it just does everything across the board ever so slightly better. Mind you, I do mean ever so slightly. Luckily, I had multiples of three different 6SN7s, so was able to A/B directly comparing to the amps rolled identically. I also had multiples of several identical 6AS7s which allowed me to roll both tube types identically in both amps.

They are extremely similar. Like I said, Euforia has an edge by about 10% or so. If I knew how to mod, I'd mess with the caps and resistors in my xDuoo, seeing if I could squeeze that extra bit of performance out of it that Euforia has. I have friends who can do such mods, and I'm thinking of picking up another TA-26 for $300 bucks and seeing if they can just put in $50-$100 (at best) worth of upgrades inside to give it that extra bit that the Euforia had.

Anyway, I sold the Euforia, and I was worried that I'd miss it, but when I listen to my TA-26, it honestly sounds so similar to it that I'm not super bothered. Yeah, I'm aware that Euforia had slightly better performance, but one was $300 and the other was $2,700 and I'm not convinced that a handful of internal mods to the TA-26 won't bring it up a notch. I plan to try that theory out very soon.

I know current Euforia owners might scoff at this, and if you're perfectly content, then I'm glad. This post is mostly for people who have never heard one and are on the fence on whether or not they want a Euforia. It won't do headphones with as low of an impedance as the Euforia does, but if anyone is curious about what a Euforia sounds like, I highly recommend the xDuoo TA-26. They sound very similar. And from there, if you like it so much that you want a marginal gain in performance, that just ever so slightly elevates it in all regards, then contemplate dropping $2,700 on a new one or slightly less for a used one. But in my case, even though I could have afforded to keep the Euforia, and didn't need the money I'd gain by selling it (and taking a rather big loss on selling it too), I just struggled to keep both when they were that close in performance and one was $300 and the other was $2,700. I know people will say that my cheaper one is Chifi and the Euforia will likely outlast it. Luckily, if that happens, I could literally buy nine TA-26 amps for the price of one brand new Euforia, so I'm not too fussed. It's also a lot smaller and easier to ship, and I know plenty of people who know how to repair amps, so I don't mind having it looked at if issues arise in the future.

The Euforia and TA-26 are EXTREMELY similar in the bass, mids, treble, etc. depending on your tube choices. I would say the Euforia (I had the non AE version) is a bit more neutral while the TA-26 is tilted a bit more warm, but other than that, they're very similar. Euforia has slightly more resolution, clarity, soundstage, etc., but it was a marginal difference. For anyone on the fence, I highly recommend trying the $300 xDuoo TA-26 first and then deciding if you want to drop thousands on the Euforia, which does perform slightly better (plus is capable of driving lower impedance headphones) and returning it if it ends up not being your cup of tea at all. Because trust me, I lusted after the Euforia for years, and felt extremely deflated when I ran into a $300 amp that used the same two tube types and got so close to its performance that there were times my spouse, friends, and parents could barely tell them apart when I dragged them into listening sessions over the past few months. That's why I decided to sell the Euforia. I still like how it sounds, obviously, but I weighed the pros / cons of keeping it, and just decided that it was too expensive as far as the cost to performance ratio is concerned.

That's just my two cents. If it helps anyone, that's all that matters. It isn't meant to offend or come off insulting in any way. This is just my experience, and the experience of those I know, and these are the conclusions that were reached after many months of ownership and usage.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #10,505 of 11,519
Hello,
I think it was a mistake to give up the Euforia.
Apart from the quality aspect, it is simply so much more.
In addition to tube rolling with an adapter, the capacitors can also be replaced on the Euforia.
From experience, I can say that this is also worthwhile.
The Mundorf capacitors are not the best but the most neutral you can get.
Everything else is really a matter of taste.
The Vcaps TFTF or CUTF on the 6sn7 alone would have made a big difference, but the Euforia plays more refined with the Vcaps Odam.
So I have no regrets.

I also put it up against my custom hybrid amp.
It was very close to the Euforia in the original, but after the conversion it was no longer close, as the Euforia amp was further away.
Even in its original state, the Euforia always played a little better than my hybrid amplifier.
That's why I can understand the Ta26 a little.

Whether you can take it as a measure is questionable.
The Ta 26 will not be as high quality as the Euforia in that respect.
There is a lot of electrolytic capacitors in the capacitors that dry out at some point.
Apart from that, if you really want to tune, you also have to improve the power supply.
There is a lot of cheap stuff in there.
The best ones are actually the Audio Note, but unfortunately they are only available in limited areas.
Everything else would be standard like Nichicon FG Kz ect...So nothing that would be exceptional.
And you get more of the SS sound instead of the tube sound.

Experts also say that the Ta26 is like the Darkvoice and that the Darkvoice is qualitatively better despite its weaknesses.
Allegedly, both come from the same chain of stores in China, where topping, smsl etc. are also found.

In my opinion, the best tube amplifiers on the market are still made in the USA and Europe.
There are hardly any from Asia that could hold their own here.

Jul 11, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #10,506 of 11,519
Just wanted to post a tidbit here that isn't meant to offend, annoy, or ruffle any feathers.

Euforia was my dream amp for many years. I finally purchased it last year and I liked it. I did copious amounts of tube rolling on it, utilizing many NOS tubes, as well as many new production models as well.

Thus, I had lots of 6SN7 / 6AS7 (6080) tubes laying around, including many multiples of each which were just about identical to one another. On a whim, I decided to purchase the xDuoo TA-26 a few months ago for $300 or so off Amazon. They're both OTLs, and like the Euforia, it used the same exact tube types. I owned both extensively for months, swapped back and forth every so often, got many people to do listening and swapping tests with me (dragged the spouse, friends, and my parents into my shenanigans) and whatnot.

And the conclusion that we all came to... is that they sound almost identical. Euforia has a slight edge by about 10% in the sense that it just does everything across the board ever so slightly better. Mind you, I do mean ever so slightly. Luckily, I had multiples of three different 6SN7s, so was able to A/B directly comparing to the amps rolled identically. I also had multiples of several identical 6AS7s which allowed me to roll both tube types identically in both amps.

They are extremely similar. Like I said, Euforia has an edge by about 10% or so. If I knew how to mod, I'd mess with the caps and resistors in my xDuoo, seeing if I could squeeze that extra bit of performance out of it that Euforia has. I have friends who can do such mods, and I'm thinking of picking up another TA-26 for $300 bucks and seeing if they can just put in $50-$100 (at best) worth of upgrades inside to give it that extra bit that the Euforia had.

Anyway, I sold the Euforia, and I was worried that I'd miss it, but when I listen to my TA-26, it honestly sounds so similar to it that I'm not super bothered. Yeah, I'm aware that Euforia had slightly better performance, but one was $300 and the other was $2,700 and I'm not convinced that a handful of internal mods to the TA-26 won't bring it up a notch. I plan to try that theory out very soon.

I know current Euforia owners might scoff at this, and if you're perfectly content, then I'm glad. This post is mostly for people who have never heard one and are on the fence on whether or not they want a Euforia. It won't do headphones with as low of an impedance as the Euforia does, but if anyone is curious about what a Euforia sounds like, I highly recommend the xDuoo TA-26. They sound very similar. And from there, if you like it so much that you want a marginal gain in performance, that just ever so slightly elevates it in all regards, then contemplate dropping $2,700 on a new one or slightly less for a used one. But in my case, even though I could have afforded to keep the Euforia, and didn't need the money I'd gain by selling it (and taking a rather big loss on selling it too), I just struggled to keep both when they were that close in performance and one was $300 and the other was $2,700. I know people will say that my cheaper one is Chifi and the Euforia will likely outlast it. Luckily, if that happens, I could literally buy nine TA-26 amps for the price of one brand new Euforia, so I'm not too fussed. It's also a lot smaller and easier to ship, and I know plenty of people who know how to repair amps, so I don't mind having it looked at if issues arise in the future.

The Euforia and TA-26 are EXTREMELY similar in the bass, mids, treble, etc. depending on your tube choices. I would say the Euforia (I had the non AE version) is a bit more neutral while the TA-26 is tilted a bit more warm, but other than that, they're very similar. Euforia has slightly more resolution, clarity, soundstage, etc., but it was a marginal difference. For anyone on the fence, I highly recommend trying the $300 xDuoo TA-26 first and then deciding if you want to drop thousands on the Euforia, which does perform slightly better (plus is capable of driving lower impedance headphones) and returning it if it ends up not being your cup of tea at all. Because trust me, I lusted after the Euforia for years, and felt extremely deflated when I ran into a $300 amp that used the same two tube types and got so close to its performance that there were times my spouse, friends, and parents could barely tell them apart when I dragged them into listening sessions over the past few months. That's why I decided to sell the Euforia. I still like how it sounds, obviously, but I weighed the pros / cons of keeping it, and just decided that it was too expensive as far as the cost to performance ratio is concerned.

That's just my two cents. If it helps anyone, that's all that matters. It isn't meant to offend or come off insulting in any way. This is just my experience, and the experience of those I know, and these are the conclusions that were reached after many months of ownership and usage.

If you can’t hear a difference and everything is just as dead quiet and fine to your ears then you gotta go with your gut! We will miss you on team Euforia but glad you’re loving the Xduoo :). After all, we’re all just here to enjoy the awesomeness of music in the way that suits us best

Jul 12, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #10,507 of 11,519
How is
FELIKS AUDIO EUFORIA 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
With HD800S? How's the synergy? Compared to other tube amps?

Or Woo audio WA2 or WA22

Feel free to name drop tubeamp recommendations.

Bought the Ferrum Oor + Hypsos SS amp and it does not pair well imo. To bright and lacks bass imo.
I do love them as a pair but also with other gear. I use the standard tubes and the standard headphone wire too.
For me this is my end combo. Sometimes I listen with a Audeze XC which works fine to but I prefer the 800s

Jul 14, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #10,508 of 11,519
Have you had the chance to compare the Atrium with other headphones? I would like to try them at some point.
Compared them to the Utopia and he1000v2, but they're very very different sounds so it feels odd to write about it. In summary, the Utopia and he1000v2 are technical marvels and will shock you with the detail and seperation, while the Atrium will seduce you and you'll feel like you're returning home.

Just monoblock 2 xDuoo's, upgrade all the parts and build quality and bam, you've got a Euforia!

edit: I think some of the benefits the Euforia has is
  • low noise floor, I don't hear any hum on any of my headphones with the recommended tube types.
  • for an OTL it can drive low impedence loads, so it's compatible with a larger pool of headphones compared to cheaper OTLs
Another point is I think we all have to come to terms with how big / small the differences are that we pay good money for. I once remember not being able to tell a difference between my $500 Audio-gd and the Chord TT2. Now I'm beginning to notice and value things that I never did before.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #10,510 of 11,519
I have a quick question regarding the Euforia (AE). I have had mine for about 1.5 years, and I got the focal stellia this week. I usually use the HD800, but in the middle of the burn-in for the stellia I connected them to the Euforia, and I noticed a "hum" on the right channel. After troubleshooting, I noticed that one of the power tubes (R) had gone microphonic.
Is it possible that one of the 6H13C is/becomes microphonic with one headphone and not another?
I am guessing that the difference in impedance between the HD800 and Stellia has something to do

Jul 16, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #10,511 of 11,519
I’m curious if anyone can hear a really faint hum from the unit itself?

I’ve got the AE version. I can’t hear it through my headphones, in case you’re wondering.

Any ideas?
Hello mine is quiet, check for dirty power maybe?

Jul 17, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #10,512 of 11,519
I have a quick question regarding the Euforia (AE). I have had mine for about 1.5 years, and I got the focal stellia this week. I usually use the HD800, but in the middle of the burn-in for the stellia I connected them to the Euforia, and I noticed a "hum" on the right channel. After troubleshooting, I noticed that one of the power tubes (R) had gone microphonic.
Is it possible that one of the 6H13C is/becomes microphonic with one headphone and not another?
I am guessing that the difference in impedance between the HD800 and Stellia has something to do

I had this happen. Seems that open backs diffuse the sound of a microphonic tube better so you don’t hear it as much or at all. Had the exact thing happen with a tube and I could hear it a LOT on my VC’s but not on my open backs or it was barely present on the open backs.

Jul 17, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #10,513 of 11,519
I had this happen. Seems that open backs diffuse the sound of a microphonic tube better so you don’t hear it as much or at all. Had the exact thing happen with a tube and I could hear it a LOT on my VC’s but not on my open backs or it was barely present on the open backs.
I am mostly frustrated because the tubes lasted less than two years, which is not even close to their supposed lifespan. I tested the tubes, and the measurements are great, which of course, has no relation to the microphony of the tube. I need a device like the one here to connect it to an oscilloscope.

2022-07-16_18-43-23.jpg

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #10,514 of 11,519
The Russian Svetlana hardly costs anything in exchange. 60$ maximum for the couple if they liked it.
Otherwise, look around for 6080 tubes and experience the strengths of the Euforia.
Apart from that, the Svetlana was never good on the Euforia, if only with certain headphones.
And it is by far the cheapest tube.

As a rule, it masks relatively much in the detail reproduction together with the Ps vane.
It may be okay with high priced headphones, but not if you use something like a Hd 600 etc.

The Svetlana is okay on the whole but you have to get things right under the base to make it work.
Without going into detail, then it is relatively good and also okay for the money.

As for the hum, many have already bought Nos tubes where hum.
Most of the time it is not so disturbing during playback.
If it is during playback then it is more of a problem then the tube usually has something like a lack of gas, solder etc....

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #10,515 of 11,519
Which 6080 that I can find in stores such as tubedepot can you recommend me? I was also thinking into jump to the KT88 as power tubes. I read that a while ago in this tread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back