Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Feb 28, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #4,216 of 11,519
not only have I joined the club, I think I started it! This new Anthem MRX 720 receiver is a great piece of equipment. First time I have noticed this much change in the sound with a receiver. Cost more than I was planning but, hey, if I did not spend it on gear, it would be on wine women and song, and for me that would be a waste of time, (except for the wine!)

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #4,217 of 11,519
Hi SMF...glad you like the EL11 - great tube!! Not quite so 'warm' as the EL3N - especially as driver. And the EL tubes, although not configured for, perform wonderfully in F-A's amps. I myself believe this is due to the 6AS7G/6080 (according to radiomuseum) being strictly a regulator tube, as opposed to a power/output tube such as the EL family - despite the greater availability of the former.

I personally find the very best combo - in my system especially - is the mesh-plate Australian EL3NG/old Valvo mesh-plate EL11, driving the TFK EL12 Spezial power. But they are extremely rare and/or now rather expensive! The latter powers require special adapters from ebay.com, and which have a wire to the top anode that usually gives a bad hum unless dealt with by ferrite chokes etc. (I'm lucky in that I have no such problem, adapting the tubes myself).

Instead of the EL12 Spezial you may try the EL3N with adapter available again on ebay.com (be prepared for a long wait, coming from China!), or the much cheaper East German EL12N, regardless of brand name - available for a good price from ebay.de or even ebay.pl if not many on ebay.uk. Again, the latter need an adapter from China -

At the moment I can only find EL3N to 6SN7/6AS7G adapter on ebay.com, which is what you wanted in the 1st place- the others might take some finding!!!

ps. Sorry for the limited reply, but can only use left hand at present - awaiting results of the MRI scan 4th March...slow going!!

Hi Hypnos 1,

Many thanks for your reply, I have some adapters on order and a pair of EL12's and EL3N's, the sound from these EL11's is something else, had them in fo a while now and all they do is get better. I was such a fan of my 6F8G's, but they cannot touch the transparency of the EL11's with the Chatham 6080wb's.
The other significant difference is an DAC upgrade from the Bifrost, a Qutest, what a difference, layered, dynamic, punchy yet transparent, it sounds fabulous with the Focal's, have just had Frédéric Chopin; Martha Argerich, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, Charles Dutoit, concertos 1 & 2, the best I've heard them.
Looking forward to getting the new tubes, will give an update when they arrive. Snow here, between Bury and Diss, was heavy yesterday about 6 inches so not too bad, hear it's worse in Norfolk..... Hope your hand's soon on the mend.
IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #4,218 of 11,519
Hi Hypnos 1,

Many thanks for your reply, I have some adapters on order and a pair of EL12's and EL3N's, the sound from these EL11's is something else, had them in fo a while now and all they do is get better. I was such a fan of my 6F8G's, but they cannot touch the transparency of the EL11's with the Chatham 6080wb's.
The other significant difference is an DAC upgrade from the Bifrost, a Qutest, what a difference, layered, dynamic, punchy yet transparent, it sounds fabulous with the Focal's, have just had Frédéric Chopin; Martha Argerich, Orchestre symphonique de Montréal, Charles Dutoit, concertos 1 & 2, the best I've heard them.
Looking forward to getting the new tubes, will give an update when they arrive. Snow here, between Bury and Diss, was heavy yesterday about 6 inches so not too bad, hear it's worse in Norfolk..... Hope your hand's soon on the mend.

HI SMF. Those TFKs look wonderful...glad they sound to match! :darthsmile: Look forward to your impressions of the EL3N and EL12 (the latter using the same adapter as the EL11, and IMHO should probably sound better than the 3N!).

Piano is a good test of a tube, along with violin/cello and female vocals...especially with the EL tubes (valves!) and the Chord DACs - mine being the Hugo2.

I noticed the much under-rated Beyer T1s, but not which Focals? I love the idea of the new Senn HD820, but the price is not so good!

And try making your own ICs and hp cables from Neotech UP-OCC silver...will take your setup to a new level!!

Mar 3, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #4,219 of 11,519
Hi Hypnos 1,

Hi SnapperMusicFan,

Decided to try your recipe for sonic bliss, at least re the tubes. Truth is, I never liked the pair of Chatham 6080s that I have - always felt that they had a harsh bassy edge to them.
Not so the TFK El11 which I like very much. The tubes I have are used ones from 1943 and 1944.
In any case, after warming up for some 30 minutes this combination sounds splendid! Many thanks for the suggestion - would not have thought of it myself.
In comparison with my preferred tube combination of GEC 6080 and Foton 1954 ribbed anode they are somewhat similar. The GEC/Foton combination has a more punchy bass, but the EL11/Chatham combination has a more flowery mid range, although a bit bright. Both are excellent.
I don't have any special DAC in my chain and I am sure that the sound could be further improved, but it is still very nice.
My photographic skills don't match yours, but here is a picture:
upload_2018-3-3_23-40-9.png

The Chathams came from eBay and were untested and cost $10 shipped. The seller called me brave for buying them, but I figured that if somebody had saved them for 55 years they probably would be good (they were).
The EL11 tubes I found on German eBay. Somebody was selling off his father's tube collection and I payed something like $15 each or less including shipping.
I am mention the prices to show that with patience you can get good buys and you don't have to pay a lot for good sound.
I enjoy researching when the tubes were made. The early Telefunken tubes have a two letter date code. Here is a link to a date code chart:
http://www.audiotubes.com/teledate.htm

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #4,221 of 11,519
Had to try a quarter pounder Carbon plate tube that I bought - a Raytheon 6336B. Previously I have the Cetron 6336B. In comparison, they are pretty much similar, except that the Cetron has six support rods for the mica plates, and the Raytheon only two. (The Rays also have more tube glow.)
Cannot say that I hear any difference, but my understanding is that more support rods translates into less microphonics.
These American muscle tubes draw 5A each, and require an external power supply.
Together with the EL11 they sound pretty good, with a hefty bass. My 15A voltage converter is not up to handling these tubes because the start-up in rush current draw may approach 15A - have to look for a 20A voltage converter.
upload_2018-3-13_15-51-44.png

As an aside, I broke off the guide pin to one of the tubes previously. Fixed it with crazy glue (have not seen somebody mention this before), and it seems to be working....

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #4,222 of 11,519
. My 15A voltage converter is not up to handling these tubes because the start-up in rush current draw may approach 15A - have to look for a 20A voltage converter.

As an aside, I broke off the guide pin to one of the tubes previously. Fixed it with crazy glue (have not seen somebody mention this before), and it seems to be working....[/QUOTE]

Why get a voltage converter when all you need is a 6.3 volt 20 amp transformer.
https://www.alliedelec.com/triad-magnetics-f-22a/70218458/

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #4,224 of 11,519
. My 15A voltage converter is not up to handling these tubes because the start-up in rush current draw may approach 15A - have to look for a 20A voltage converter.

As an aside, I broke off the guide pin to one of the tubes previously. Fixed it with crazy glue (have not seen somebody mention this before), and it seems to be working....

https://www.alliedelec.com/triad-magnetics-f-22a/70218458/[/QUOTE]

Hi Glenn,

Very good suggestion and in all likelihood much better than what I have. I am guessing around $50 with shipping.
However, buying a voltage regulator for $10 allows me to hook it up to my existing PS and to use oddball tubes of different voltages.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #4,225 of 11,519
https://www.alliedelec.com/triad-magnetics-f-22a/70218458/

Hi Glenn,

Very good suggestion and in all likelihood much better than what I have. I am guessing around $50 with shipping.
However, buying a voltage regulator for $10 allows me to hook it up to my existing PS and to use oddball tubes of different voltages.[/QUOTE]

A voltage regulator feeding 2 of these tubes drawing 10 amps is going to get hot hot hot better have a big heat sink.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #4,226 of 11,519
Hi Glenn,

However, buying a voltage regulator for $10 allows me to hook it up to my existing PS and to use oddball tubes of different voltages.

A voltage regulator feeding 2 of these tubes drawing 10 amps is going to get hot hot hot better have a big heat sink.[/QUOTE]
Big enough?
s-l500.jpg

s-l500.jpg

DC 300W 20A CC CV Constant Current Adjustable Step-Down Converter Voltage Buck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-300W-20A-CC-CV-Constant-Current-Adjustable-Step-Down-Converter-Voltage-Buck/222637386210?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #4,227 of 11,519
Mordy,

The $50.00 for the 20 amp 6.3v transformer is the best $50.00 you ever spent.

You will love it and will use it far more often than you think. Goes a tremendous way towards keeping the FA amp, cool, too...

Cheers....

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #4,229 of 11,519
98EAC92D-0E73-43E9-AADB-4F25A487A357.jpeg A variation from SMF experiment with TFK El11 plus Mullards 6080s. While the Chathams/Tung Sols are great sounding tubes (in my humble opinion some of the best U.S. made 6080s) I concur with Mordy in the sense that there is just a little bit of brightness there, nothing to worry about in the whole of the music presentation.

EE3B1DAD-35E9-4B46-9E55-B4F22ADC7DEC.jpeg
While the Chathams have stronger bass, this combo is seductive sounding in the mids, with extended highs...an exemplary tube sound, spacious, a bit dark, full of body. The EL11s are obviously top drivers.

Attachments

• 407A1F47-68F5-401F-A4BC-D6F1205DBB3E.jpeg
    407A1F47-68F5-401F-A4BC-D6F1205DBB3E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • A1E176C4-B469-4480-80F0-009BEA901184.jpeg
    A1E176C4-B469-4480-80F0-009BEA901184.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #4,230 of 11,519
And Mordy, no letter codes on those TFKs. only numbers: 238 and 035. The German vendor said they were made in the Berlin factory in the early fifties. The black coating is not very usual. On the other hand, I found the vintage East German RFT EL11 are excellent tubes, at a fraction of the price of the Telefunkens...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back